This loaded cauliflower casserole recipe makes one of the most versatile and satisfying side dishes around!
Think of it as a GIANT baked potato bake… just without the carbs! Trust me when I tell you, it’s one of those low carb casseroles you can’t have just one serving of…
Now I bet you’re thinking healthy recipes like this one are less delicious than their counterparts, but I’ll let your first bite change your mind. Cause you’re about to plan ALL your meals around this loaded cauliflower casserole! Let’s dive in!
What I Love About This Loaded Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
Taking a note from loaded baked potatoes, this loaded cauliflower casserole recipe combines all our favorite flavors in each bite. Also:
- Inexpensive ingredients
- Ready in under an hour!
- Comforting, filling, and perfect
- One of those low carb side dishes where you won’t miss the carbs!!
Tips + Tricks
- Milk Alternatives – I use a combo of plain almond milk and heavy cream, as they’re much lower in carbs than plain milk. If carbs aren’t of concern, cow’s milk can be used instead.
- Blanch vs. steam the keto cauliflower, as the florets will continue to bake in the oven, and we don’t want them to get too mushy.
- Remove cauliflower’s liquid by giving it a gentle squeeze, otherwise, the excess liquid can water down the sauce. As you can see by looking at the cauliflower nutrition facts, this veggie is loaded with water!
- Tabasco doesn’t add heat here, rather it rounds out the flavor of our low carb cheese sauce. If you want heat, add more!
Keep this loaded cauliflower casserole recipe in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven or microwave for an almost-instant heartwarming side.
This is the perfect cauliflower side dish to serve alongside all your faves! From stuffed chicken breast to sous vide pork tenderloin — basically, any dish that’s begging for a loaded baked potato.
I love how customizable this loaded cauliflower casserole recipe is. Swap out the toppings, the meat, the spices! The choice is yours!
- Add more vegetables. Sneak in some veggies to turn this into a cauliflower potato salad of sorts, just saute first. Stick to mild-tasting options like mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini for zucchini lasagna vibes.
- Use a different kind of cheese.
- Add meat to turn this into the main course. Cook and mix it on in, this dish can easily be turned into a low carb chicken casserole with shredded chicken, or a ground chicken casserole with ground meats.
- Make it spicy. If you want something a little stronger, up the Tabasco, sprinkle in some cayenne, or add your favorite spice mix.
- Add a crunchy topping — a little crunch makes every casserole better, check out my low carb green bean casserole where I used pork rinds. You can also use crackers or breadcrumbs if that works with your eating plan.
More Casserole Recipes
Love the idea of swapping high carb, starchy ingredients with VEGGIES?! Here are a few more recipes with that same idea:
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cabbage Lasagna
- Low Carb Squash Casserole
Loaded Cauliflower CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 24 Ounces Cauliflower florets (about 2 small heads of cauliflower)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Low Carb Milk I use unsweetened/plain almond milk to save carbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese divided
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
- 6 Slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Green Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prep cauliflower. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add cauliflower florets (24 ounces) and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain water, and wrap drained cauliflower in clean kitchen towels while we prep the rest. Once cool enough to handle, give the cauliflower a gentle squeeze to release as much liquid as possible, without mushing the cauliflower.
- Make the sauce. Make sure the pot is dry, and heat over medium heat. Add butter (2 tablespoons) once melted add minced garlic (3 cloves) and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add the xanthan gum (1 teaspoon) and stir until it dissolves into the butter. Add heavy cream (1/3 cup), milk (1 1/2 cup or almond milk), cream cheese (4 ounces), tabasco (1/2 teaspoon ), and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and add cheese (1 cup ). Stir until cheese completely dissolves.
- Combine. Add the cauliflower back to the pot with cheese sauce, along with 1/2 of the bacon and green onions. Stir to coat the cauliflower. Spread cauliflower into a 9x13 baking dish (I used a 9" cast iron). Sprinkle remaining cheese (1 cup) on top, along with remaining bacon and green onions.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Milk. I swap between unsweetened light almond or coconut milk.
- Xanthan Gum is necessary for binding the ingredients of this recipe together, you CAN'T SKIP OR SUB!