So easy, and so delicious, these keto salmon patties have beautifully crisp edges and a delicious filling. Perfect for appetizers, although we love them so much, they’re usually the star of our dinner table. Grab your tartar sauce and let’s fry!
Are Salmon Patties Healthy? Keto? Paleo?
Salmon is a great source of both omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B-12. Plus it’s high in protein and carb free (more on all that here).
- Keto + low carb – Traditional salmon patties are made with breadcrumbs, making them higher in carbs than the recipe below, and not a great option for those eating keto.
- Paleo – This recipe contains parmesan, which isn’t part of a paleo eating plan.
Keto Salmon Patties Recipe Ingredients
All you need are your standard salmon patty ingredients, minus the breadcrumbs–We’ll skip those to keep the carbs down…
- Wild vs. farmed salmon – I recommend wild salmon, as it contains fewer contaminants than farmed. Costco sells canned wild salmon at a great price!
- Canned vs. leftover salmon – You can use any kind of salmon you have on hand: canned, broiled salmon, pan seared salmon, or baked salmon are all great. Just be sure to skip the salmon marinade if possible. Flake your cooked salmon into small pieces before mixing it in, and weigh it, making sure to only use 12 ounces.
- Breadcrumbs vs. parmesan + egg – We’ll use parmesan and an egg to bind these salmon patties together (instead of breadcrumbs). Using this combo will keep the carbs down.
Best Dips for Keto Salmon Cakes
Serve your keto salmon cakes with tartar sauce (yup, most storebought options will work for those eating keto!), or dill aoili, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
How To Make Salmon Patties
Just like my keto crab cakes, all you need to do is form those patties and give them a quick sear…
- Combine your ingredients together.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat oil, then sear on each side until golden.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Tips
Salmon patties are best served hot from the pan! But if you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge, and reheat them over the stove in a hot pan with oil.
You can freeze these keto salmon patties! I suggest reheating frozen patties in the oven.
Leftover Ideas (Beyond a Simple Reheat)
These keto salmon patties are incredible reheated with a fresh dollop of dip, but can also be added to a handful of recipes for a fresh take on leftovers…
- Flake and serve over a bed of greens for a salmon salad.
- Over a piece of keto toast with a fried egg on top for breakfast.
- Or flaked and added to crustless quiche or scramble eggs.
- Served as a lettuce wrapped burger for dinner.
- Add a few tablespoons of tartar sauce and toss together for a salmon version of tuna salad. You can also mash an avocado as use that instead of mayo, like this avocado tuna salad.
More Salmon Recipes
Keto Salmon PattiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 Ounces Salmon flaked
- 1/2 Cup Onion finely chopped onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan grated
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado or vegetable oil
- lemon wedges
- tartar sauce
- Add salmon, onion, garlic, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, parmesan, and eggs to a large bowl and combine with your hands. Shape into 6 patties, and place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the patties. Do this in batches if your pan isn't large enough to accommodate all 6. Sear on each side until golden and the patties are cooked all the way through, about 4 minutes per.
- Serve warm with tartar sauce and enjoy!