Creamy with a bright zing of onions, lime, and cilantro, this avocado tuna salad is a fresh take on the age-old classic!
Looking for more keto salads? Try this keto tuna salad, keto chicken salad and keto egg salad.
Avocado Tuna Salad Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
My sweet mother spent decades cooking, cleaning, and caring for us. Flash forward to her golden years, where she’s fully embraced living life to its fullest. She’s all about easy living and is no longer interested in meals that more than 20 minutes.
So when I asked her what she’d like to eat for Mother’s Day, she insisted on something easy, “like sandwiches or something.” So, it became my job to come up with a sandwich that would BLOW HER MIND!
Thus, this avocado tuna salad recipe was born! And she LOVED it! She asked me for the recipe and- boy, coming from her, that felt good.
So try this zesty, fresh, creamy avocado tuna salad! If my mom liked it, it’s sure to become one of your new favorites!
- Avocados – go for Haas avocados, as they’re creamier, higher in fat, and much more packed with flavor.
- Red Onions – we’ll be using raw red onions here. Be sure to chop them nice and thin to cut down on their bite–or, if they’re still too strong for you, submerge them in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes before chopping and adding them to your tuna salad.
- Lime juice – grab a bit extra, and pour it over the top of your avocado tuna salad before storing it in the fridge. This will slow down the oxidation process, so you can enjoy your avocado salad over the next few days, with minimal browning.
Serve it Up:
Looking for a keto avocado tuna salad? Or just a healthier version of the traditional kind? There are sooo many ways to dish it up. Including:
Traditional: Make an avocado tuna salad sandwich or tuna salad melt. Or, serve it as a dip with crackers.
Keto lunch ideas: Turn this salad into a sandwich with my keto bread, or again, enjoy as a dip with keto crackers. Celery sticks and lettuce wraps are two other keto options. Or, scoop it back into the avocado skin, sprinkle cheddar on top, and bake until the cheese gets melty for a tuna avocado salad sandwich melt.
- Make it spicy! Add a few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne.
- Not a fan of tuna? Use this recipe for a base and swap the protein for an avocado chicken salad or avocado egg salad.
- Mix up your mix-ins. Add whatever you’re craving. Some suggestions: pepitas, diced bell peppers, and/or bacon.
More Avocado-Based Recipes
Avocado Tuna SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Cans of 5 ounce tuna packed in water + drained
- 2 Small Avocado ripe + cubed (note 1)
- 3/4 Cup Red Onions minced
- 1/2 Cup Celery diced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- Combine. Add all ingredients to a medium bowl, and mix together using a fork, to break up the tuna into smaller pieces and lightly mash the avocado as desired.
- Serve + Enjoy! Serve with your favorite bread, chips, or crackers, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Avocados. Hass avocados are creamier and more flavor-packed than Florida avocados--grab Haas if you can.
- Storing. Add additional lime juice to the top of your salad so the avocado doesn’t brown.
I love how easy this is to make! And so tasty too! everyone in the family loved it.
Yay! So happy you all enjoyed it Leah!🥳
I LOVE making avocado tuna salad, and your recipe is a winner for sure!! I’ll be making this for lunch a lot in the future, I am sure of it!
Awesome Cathleen! Hope you enjoy it!🥰
One of the best combo plus my favorite salad recipe. Looks so delicious too. Thanks for sharing
Hope you give it a try!😁
Love the combination of tuna and avocado so I can’t wait to make this.
Right Amanda? Hope you enjoy!😁
Hmmm Love that this is low carb and anything with avocado wins me over immediately!
Yay! Let me know if you give it a try!🥰
Tuna is my favorite! Super love this avocado tuna salad~ Easy to make and it taste really amazing!
Glad you liked it Allyssa!🤩
This tuna salad looks amazing. Keeping this to have next week for lunch. Such a fantastic lunch option and a great source of protein.
Right David? Let me know how it goes, Enjoy! 😋
Super easy to make, even easier to devour. Didn’t have much less to eat with my lettuce because I kind of overdid the “tasting” part of cooking while fixing it. Super win in all catagories!
Yay! So glad you loved it, Sharon. Enjoy! 🥰
is it one can of tuna, or 3-5oz cans. Just confused on that. Thanks. Cant wait to try it. Looks good.
Hi Jenniffer! Sorry about that, totally see how confusing that was written 🤪 It is 3 cans of 5-ounce tuna. Hope you enjoy!
This is my new go to for lunch!! I work from home and only get a 30 min lunch break. I love how easy this is to make and it is so good.
Right Jessie? So glad you liked it!😄
This has become a regular in our home and also great to take to work for lunch!!
Yahoo! So glad you liked it as much as I do!😃
I have some ripe avocados at home and I am going to try this easy salad recipe next. It looks really healthy and delicious.
Hope you enjoy Rachna!🥰
Avocado + Tuna is a unique combination but basing from your recipe it looks delicious! This healthy recipe is a must try so I’m doing it in the morning. Love that its Keto and Low carb too.
Let me know how it goes Maria, Enjoy!😁
Delicious! The combination of flavors works out perfectly!
Thanks for giving it a try Tavo!😄