Think of avocado egg salad as a guacamole-inspired twist on a classic keto egg salad. Fresh cilantro, red onion, and a squeeze of lime. Just like my avocado deviled eggs, it’s the kind of thing you can eat any time, anywhere, and on anything.
Avocado Egg Salad Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Healthy, Just as Creamy, Upgrade.
Using avocado adds healthier fats than traditional mayo, so I don’t feel any guilt when I make this and eat it straight from the bowl. (🙋♀️!) Easy to make into a snack, sandwich, wrap…or like I said, just with a fork!
My trick for the best texture is to puree the egg yolks and the avocado along with the lime juice before adding in the other ingredients. The yolk and avocado have very different textures that can taste gritty if you skip this step. Blending them creates a smooth consistency which then can coat the other ingredients more evenly.
It’s fast, filling and a festive spring green—one of my favorites.
Important Ingredient Notes
As is, the ingredients for this recipe make for a paleo, vegetarian, keto avocado egg salad:
- Easy hard-boiled eggs. I’ve recently learned that plopping your eggs in BOILING water (rather than cold water, which I originally recommended) makes for a much easier peel.
- Even easier hard-boiled eggs. If hard-boiling the eggs is something you don’t want to deal with, you can also buy hard-boiled eggs from Costco or Trader Joes–just be sure whatever you buy only contains eggs (not nasty tasting preservatives), as this will throw off the taste of your avocado egg salad.
- Avocado. Opt for Haas, always. They’re higher in fat, flavor, and creamy texture than Florida avocados.
- Lime juice will help prevent our avocados from browning, don’t skip, and grab extra.
Even with the lime in this avocado egg salad recipe, the avocados will brown over time. To prevent this (as much as possible), squeeze extra lime juice on top, and store your avocado salad in an airtight container.
👉 How long does avocado egg salad last in the fridge?
It’s best to eat this avocado egg salad within 3 days. Even if stored well, avocado salad recipes will eventually turn brown due to oxidation.
👉 Can I freeze leftover egg salad?
Egg salad is best enjoyed immediately, the texture of the avocado (or mayonnaise/Greek yogurt) will not hold up well in the freezer.
👉 Why does my egg salad get watery?
Egg salad has a tendency to get watery when veggies with high water content (in this case, celery) release their liquid. The best way to remedy this is to give your egg salad a good stir before serving. And don’t worry, the water won’t affect the flavor at all.
As mentioned, this is straight-from-the-bowl kinda good. So that’s how I do it. For more of a meal, grab your favorite crackers or a slice of toast. You can keep this avocado egg salad keto by serving it:
- Wrapped in lettuce
- With cucumber slices
- On a toasted slice of low carb bread
- Add some heat, with jalapenos, hot sauce, or even some cayenne pepper. Check out my spicy deviled eggs for inspo.
- Add protein, such as bacon, smoked salmon, crab, or even shredded chicken. YES!
- Use this as a dip, and serve it as you would guacamole. Avocado and egg are a match made in heaven.
- Turn these into deviled eggs, by keeping your egg whites whole, and filling them with the combined ingredients.
- Or make an avocado salad: instead of mashing the avocado, dice it up, and combine it with the other diced ingredients. Option to serve it over lettuce.
More Salad Recipes
- Low Carb Taco Salad
- Cauliflower Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Low Carb Potato Salad
Avocado Egg SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 10 Large Eggs (note 1)
- 1 Medium Avocado (note 2)
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Onions chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Hard boil the eggs. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the eggs (10) and cook for 15 minutes (this makes them easier to peel). Prepare a large bowl with water and ice, and after the eggs have cooked for 15 minutes, plop them in the ice bath. After cool enough to handle, peel.
- Food processor (note 3). Cut eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolks, and place them in a food processor. Add avocado (1 medium), lime juice (1/4 cup), and salt (1 teaspoon) to the egg yolks, and process until smooth.
- Combine. Dice up the egg whites into small pieces, and add to a large bowl along with the celery (1/2 cup), red onion (1/2 cup), and cilantro (1/2 cup). Add the avocado mixture and stir to coat. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- If using hard-boiled eggs that have already been prepared, make sure they don't contain preservatives. These often have a funky taste.
- Avocados. I highly recommend using Haas avocados, as they’re higher in fat and much creamier.
- Without the food processor, avocado egg salad can have a gritty texture (avocado and egg yolks are hard to combine). For best texture results, don't skip!
- Storing. This salad is best served immediately, but if you have leftovers, be sure to squeeze additional lime juice over the top to prevent the avocado from browning (as much) and store it in an airtight container.