If you’re jonesing to switch up your average Joe eggy salad, then this avocado egg salad recipe is going to BLOW YA MIND! This is the creamiest avocado egg salad of your life!
Low carb recipes don’t have to be a snoozefest and this one is a total testament to that. I mean, any avocado recipes are incredible in my book!
It’s also perfect if you’re looking for easy low carb lunch ideas! It’s truly one of those killer low carb salads you’ll crave non-stop.
It’s loaded with healthy fats, protein, and extra love!
I’m so pumped to tell you why this avocado egg salad recipe is so share-worthy:
- The ingredients are so fresh! The creamy avocado, tangy lime juice, crunch from the celery, sweetness of the red onions and complex, citrusy cilantro! Add paprika if you’re feeling spicy!
- Once the hard-boiled eggs are made, this salad takes MINUTES to prepare!
- A meal preppers fave! You can make the eggs ahead of time and mix everything up when you are ready to eat it!
- All the ingredients in this avocado egg salad recipe are wallet-friendly! Cha-ching!
- This recipe is high in protein and low in carbs! Woop!
Here are some egg pro tips and tricks to know for this avocado egg salad recipe:
- Hard boil eggs that are older (rather than fresh eggs), will be easier to peel.
- Want to make this egg salad even faster? Enlist your Instant Pot to hard boil the eggs in only 15 minutes! 5 minutes to come to heat, 5 minutes to cook and 5 minutes in an ice bath! The steam makes them crazy easy peelable and saves you time! And who doesn’t love that?!
- Egg peel hack: Crack both the top and bottom of the egg, then roll it with your hand on the counter or a plate, gently applying pressure. Your egg will peel apart easily!
Here’s everything you need to know about what’s in this recipe:
Medium Haas Avocado: these types of avocados are in season April-October. They’re higher in fat that California avocados and have SO MUCH MORE FLAVOR!
Lime Juice: this brings a zesty citrus flavor! Try using lemon too to switch it up! Both these citruses will prevent the avocado from browning as quickly. I like to squeeze a little extra lime juice on top for storage.
Large Eggs: One whole egg has 6 grams of protein to fill you up! (And there are ten in this recipe!)
Celery + Red Onions: Add a delicious crunch to this salad.
Chopped Cilantro: use other fresh herbs if cilantro isn’t your fave!
Want to add some crunch? Sprinkle in some bacon crumbles! (like in these deviled eggs with bacon).
You can also play around and add different elements of flavor into this recipe! I loveeeee an egg salad with relish! YUM in my tum!
Tools To Make
Here’s whatcha need to make this kick booty avocado egg salad recipe:
- Large saucepan with lid: for bringing the eggs to a boil and turning them into hard-boiled eggs
- Large Bowl: for halting the eggs from cooking by soaking them in a water and ice bath
- Slotted Spoon (tongs also work great): for removing the hot eggs out of the saucepan and into the ice water bath
- Another Large Bowl: for mixing up the salad ingredients into
- Large Plate: for the eggs white halves to sit on
- Fork: for mashing the avocado up!
Be sure to store any leftovers (if you have any!) in the fridge.
Squeeze additional lime juice over the top, as the avocado tends to brown, and this will prevent it from oxidizing (as much).
I love to put this salad in mason jars for a mason jar salad meal on the go! There’s no better way to transport healthy recipes around!
Can You Freeze This?
I don’t recommend freezing hard-boiled eggs.
You can eat this avocado egg salad recipe in so many different ways! Turn it into an egg salad sandwich, make it into low carb lettuce wraps or spread it onto a low carb bagel halves!
Switch this avocado egg salad up with what you have or what you’re craving!
Can I Make This Spicy?
I love some spice with my eggs! Here’s how I like to turn up the heat:
- Use ground spices like paprika, chili flakes or Cajun spices, etc.
- Add spicy sauces: Hot sauce, Sriracha, Chalupa, etc. (I use this to make spicy deviled eggs)
- Chop up some fresh peppers: jalapeños, poblano, serano, habanero, etc. (check our my jalapeno deviled eggs!)
Can I Add Meat to This Salad?
Add whatever type of meat you like best. Personally, I adore my avocado egg salad recipe with crumbles of bacon in it. The saltiness is beyond delicious!
Another fab addition is chicken! Make an avocado chicken salad, by adding fresh-cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken (even easier!).
Want even easier than that?! Buy canned chicken or tuna to make a super convenient canned chicken salad or avocado tuna salad. Just mix either of those DRAINED proteins into this dish and you’ll be good to go!
Can I Use This As Dip?
You could totally re-purpose this as a dip for a delish app! This of it as protein-packed guacamole — YUM!! Pair it with low carb crackers or chips (bagel chips would be awesome)!
Can’t get enough avocado? Check out this avocado dressing or this avocado sauce! You’ll love them all!
Avocado Egg SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 10 Large Eggs
- 1 Medium Haas Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Onions chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped
- Add eggs to a large saucepan and cover with water (about 1 1/2").
- Bring water to a boil, then remove saucepan from heat and secure the lid. Set saucepan aside and allow the eggs to rest like this for 18 minutes.
- Prepare a large bowl with water and ice.
- After 18 minutes, using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the saucepan to the bowl of ice, and allow them to chill for 5 minutes.
- After the eggs have cooled enough to handle, peel the eggs.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise.
- Remove the yolks from the eggs, and place them in a large bowl.
- Dice up the egg whites into small pieces (about the size of your onion), and set aside.
- Add avocado, lime juice, and salt to the egg yolks, and mash together with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the celery, red onions, cilantro and egg whites until thoroughly combined.
- Squeeze additional lime juice over the top of your salad to prevent the avocado from browning (as much) and store it in an airtight container. This salad is best served immediately. Enjoy!
Want more salad recipes?! Check these out:
- Healthy Chicken Salad. Mayo free and full of veggies!
- Cauliflower Potato Salad. You won’t miss the potatoes in this one.
- Strawberry Salad. Almost too pretty to eat!
- Low Carb Potato Salad. My favorite swap for potatoes? Turnips!
- Deviled Egg Salad. SO creamy and full of flavor.
I hope you L-O-V-E this avocado egg salad recipe as much as I do. Let me know in the comments below what you thought of this recipe!