If you’re jonesing to switch up your average Joe egg salad, then this avocado egg salad recipe is going to BLOW YA MIND! This is the creamiest avocado egg salad of your life!
Low carb recipes don’t have to be a snoozefest and this one is a total testament to that. I mean, any avocado recipes are incredible in my book!
It’s loaded with healthy fats, protein, and extra love!
I’m so pumped to tell you why this avocado egg salad recipe is so share-worthy:
- The ingredients are so fresh! The creamy avocado, tangy lime juice, crunch from the celery, sweetness of the red onions and complex, citrusy cilantro! Add paprika if you’re feeling spicy!
- Once the hard-boiled eggs are made, this salad takes MINUTES to prepare!
- A meal preppers fave! You can make the eggs ahead of time and mix everything up when you are ready to eat it!
- All the ingredients in this avocado egg salad recipe are wallet-friendly! Cha-ching!
- This recipe is high in protein and low in carbs! Woop!
Here are some egg pro tips and tricks to know for this avocado egg salad recipe:
- Hard boil eggs that are older (rather than fresh eggs), will be easier to peel.
- Want to make this egg salad even faster? Enlist your Instant Pot to hard boil the eggs in only 15 minutes! 5 minutes to come to heat, 5 minutes to cook and 5 minutes in an ice bath! The steam makes them crazy easy peelable and saves you time! And who doesn’t love that?!
- Egg peel hack: Crack both the top and bottom of the egg, then roll it with your hand on the counter or a plate, gently applying pressure. Your egg will peel apart easily!
Here’s everything you need to know about what’s in this recipe:
Haas Avocado – these types of avocados are in season April-October. They’re higher in fat that California avocados and have SO MUCH MORE FLAVOR!
Lime Juice – this brings a zesty citrus flavor! Try using lemon too to switch it up! Both these citruses will prevent the avocado from browning as quickly. I like to squeeze a little extra lime juice on top for storage.
Large Eggs – One whole egg has 6 grams of protein to fill you up! (And there are ten in this recipe!)
Celery + Red Onions – Add a delicious crunch to this salad.
Chopped Cilantro – use other fresh herbs if cilantro isn’t your fave!
Want to add some crunch? Sprinkle in some bacon crumbles! (like in these deviled eggs with bacon).
Tools To Make
Here’s whatcha need to make this kick booty avocado egg salad recipe:
- Large saucepan with lid: for bringing the eggs to a boil and turning them into hard-boiled eggs
- Large Bowl: for halting the eggs from cooking by soaking them in a water and ice bath
- Slotted Spoon (tongs also work great): for removing the hot eggs out of the saucepan and into the ice water bath
- Another Large Bowl: for mixing up the salad ingredients into
- Large Plate: for the eggs white halves to sit on
- Fork: for mashing the avocado up!
Be sure to store any leftovers (if you have any!) in the fridge. Squeeze additional lime juice over the top, as the avocado tends to brown, and this will prevent it from oxidizing (as much).
I love to put this salad in mason jars for a mason jar salad meal on the go! There’s no better way to transport healthy recipes around!
You can eat this avocado egg salad recipe in so many different ways!
- Turn it into an egg salad sandwich with low carb bread, low carb bagel halves, or your bread of choice.
- Make lettuce wraps with large Romaine lettuce leaves.
- Scoop up this salad with your low carb crackers of choice.
Switch this avocado egg salad up with what you have or what you’re craving!
- Make it Spicy. I love some spice with my eggs! Try adding one of these spicy sauces: Hot sauce, Sriracha, Chalupa, etc. (I use this to make spicy deviled eggs)
- Add meat. Add whatever type of meat you like best. Personally, I adore my avocado egg salad recipe with crumbles of bacon in it. Another fab addition is chicken! Make an avocado chicken salad, by adding fresh-cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken salad (even easier!).
- Use this as a dip! You could totally re-purpose this as a dip for a delish app! Think of it as a protein-packed as guacamole — YUM!! Pair it with low carb crackers or chips. Can’t get enough avocado? Check out this avocado sauce! You’ll love it!
- Make deviled eggs instead by scooping out the yolks and mashing the filling ingredients together. For more inspo, check out my avocado deviled eggs.
Avocado Egg SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 10 Large Eggs
- 1 Medium Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Onions chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Add eggs to a large saucepan and cover with water (about 1 1/2").
- Bring water to a boil, then remove saucepan from heat and secure the lid. Set saucepan aside and allow the eggs to rest like this for 18 minutes.
- Prepare a large bowl with water and ice.
- After 18 minutes, using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the saucepan to the bowl of ice, and allow them to chill for 5 minutes.
- After the eggs have cooled enough to handle, peel the eggs.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise.
- Remove the yolks from the eggs, and place them in a large bowl.
- Dice up the egg whites into small pieces (about the size of your onion), and set aside.
- Add avocado, lime juice, and salt to the egg yolks, and mash together with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the celery, red onions, cilantro and egg whites until thoroughly combined.
- Squeeze additional lime juice over the top of your salad to prevent the avocado from browning (as much) and store it in an airtight container. This salad is best served immediately. Enjoy!
Want more salad recipes?! Check these out:
- Thai Chicken Salad. A rainbow full of veggies!
- Cauliflower Potato Salad. You won’t miss the potatoes in this one.
- Chinese Chicken Salad. This classic just got a sugar free makeover.
- Low Carb Potato Salad. My favorite swap for potatoes? Turnips!
- Deviled Egg Salad. SO creamy and full of flavor.
I hope you L-O-V-E this avocado egg salad recipe as much as I do. Let me know in the comments below what you thought of this recipe!