For a quick and easy dinner, full of fresh, bold flavors, try this chimichurri shrimp! Chimichurri is our shrimp marinade and sauce, which infuses zesty herbs and tangy flavor in every bite. Full of bold, delicious flavor. If you haven’t tried chimichurri yet, here’s your sign!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Chimichurri Ingredients + Tweaks
This chimichurri shrimp comes together with a handful of fresh herbs, oil, and vinegar. We’ve tested dozens of herb and spice combinations before landing on this one. Feel free to adjust your chimichurri sauce to your liking, however, this is our very favorite chimichurri recipe!
- The herbs: fresh parsley and oregano. When it comes to chimichurri, dry herbs are not a replacement. Some recipes call for cilantro or mint–I’m not a fan but if it’s your thing, add it in.
- The veggies: garlic and yellow onion.
- The dressing: olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Plus salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. For more/less heat, adjust the amount of red pepper flakes used.
How to Make Chimichurri Shrimp
Your chimichurri shrimp sauce can be chopped using a food processor, although we much prefer hand-chopping the herbs and onions!
- Combine chimichurri sauce ingredients together.
- Toss shrimp in 1/4 cup of the sauce.
- Allow shrimp to marinate.
- Cook the shrimp, either by grilling or pan searing. If making grilled shrimp, be sure to place shrimp on skewers first.
How to Serve Shrimp Chimichurri
This chimichurri shrimp is amazing on its own for a low carb or keto meal. You can also:
- Dish it over a bed of rice, or cauliflower/broccoli rice.
- With a slice of bread to soak up extra sauce.
- Wrapped in a tortilla, or make shrimp lettuce wraps using butter lettuce.
- Take a note from this shrimp and avocado salad, and serve this over a bed of lettuce with other sliced veggies and chimichurri as your salad dressing.
What else is chimichurri good on?
Leftover chimichurri is gold! Don’t let it go to waste, by covering your favorite meats, seafood, vegetables, and eggs in it:
- Grilled meats, such as steak, chicken, or pork.
- Seafood such as blackened tilapia tacos and most simple salmon recipes.
- Eggs and chimi are a match made in heaven; a fried egg, frittata, scramble, or omelet.
- Veggies are also great with chimichurri on top. I love covering most roasted vegetables with this vibrant sauce.
More Shrimp Recipes
Chimichuri ShrimpPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup yellow onion minced
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp peeled, deveined, tails off
- Make the chimichurri sauce, either in a food processor or by hand.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl with 1/4 cup of the chimichurri and toss to coat. Allow the shrimp to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Grill or sear in a pan over high heat until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side. If grilling the shrimp, I like to place them on skewers first. Serve with remaining chimichurri and enjoy.