Never feel the pain of sandwich envy again. This keto gyro is filling and fresh. Soft keto naan, well-seasoned chicken, and some cool, creamy, crunchy, (and pickled!) toppings—every bite is full of flavor and texture. This is one of my all-time favorite lunches and keto dinners.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
It All Started With Sandwich Envy
It’s a classic Girl meets Best Friend for lunchtime story. Best Friend orders a drool-inducing pita sandwich. Girl pushes lackluster salad around on her plate. (It’s me. I’m the Girl with the lackluster salad.)
Love my bestie, but I was bummed, unsatiated, and frustrated. As I stared down her sandwich, I made a silent vow to go straight home and make my own. And this is it!
What I Love About This Keto Gyro Recipe
This is one of my favorite keto lunch ideas that’ll satiate you on a whole new level. These keto gyros have got it all:
- JUICY chicken
- FLUFFY bread
- CRISP + pickled veggies
- Easy to make ahead
Healthy Gyro Tips + Tricks
As with any Greek gyro, there are a lot of components that go into this meal. Here’s how to make your keto gyro quickly and painlessly. PRO TIP: make everything ahead of time. When you’re craving a keto gyro, just assemble and eat!
- Make the naan in advance. It’s easy to reheat–just wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave.
- Don’t skip the brine. The brine adds loads of flavor while keeping the chicken juicy. You can brine the chicken ahead of time, just remove the chicken from the brine after 3 hours.
- Pickled veggies can also be done ahead of time. OR, you don’t need to pickle them (but they’re so much better!). Store your prepped pickled veggies in a jar in your fridge, they’ll last for a few weeks in there.
How Many Carbs Are in a Greek Gyro?
A traditional Greek gyro with all the fixings (pita bread, meat, veggies, and condiments) contains 72 g of carbs. This keto gyro, on the other hand, has 15 net carbs (YES! including the naan!) per sandwich.
🤔 Can You Eat Gyro on Keto?
If you’re eating at a restaurant, I’d avoid ordering a traditional gyro sandwich. For a low carb option, order a chicken gyro, toss the pita, and eat only the insides. Or opt for a gyro salad instead.
🤔 Is Tzatziki Keto Approved?
Of course, this will depend on your keto eating plan. Also, keep in mind the exact nutritional breakdown will vary by product. But generally speaking, tzatziki is a great option for those following a keto eating plan. 1 tablespoon contains .5g of carbs.
- Turn this into a keto gyro salad. Just skip the naan, add more Romaine, and double up on the marinade (to use as a dressing as well) for a delicious keto gyro bowl.
- Use other meat. Feel free to swap the chicken for beef gyro or lamb gyro meat.
- Add your favorite toppings. Try a different type of keto cheese or more keto vegetables.
More Keto Mediterranean Recipes
- Mediterranean Chicken Marinade
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Mediterranean Meatballs
Low Carb Keto GyroPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Chicken + Brine:
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless + skinless, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 cups water cold
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon granular Swerve or Lakanto (note 1)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pickled Veggies (note 2):
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granular Swerve or Lakanto (note 1)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 recipe for keto naan
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped + deseeded
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/2 head romain lettuce cut into strips
- 1 cup feta crumbled
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- Brine the chicken. In a large mixing bowl, stir the salt (2 tablespoons) and water(4 cups) until the salt has completely dissolved. (I usually use 1/2 cup of boiling water and dissolve the salt. Then add 3 1/2 cups of cold water so it doesn't cook the chicken. Make sure the water is room temp before adding chicken!) Place chicken (1 pound) in brine and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 3 hours.
- Pickle the veggies by adding the apple cider vinegar (1/2 cup), salt (1 teaspoon), and erythritol (1 tablespoon) together in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk until the erythritol completely dissolves. Place sliced red onions (1 sliced) in a heat-safe bowl, and pour the boiling vinegar over the top. Place a plate over the top and allow the veggies to rest like this for a minimum of 30 minutes--making sure to stir occasionally so the veggies on top and bottom pickle evenly.
- Make the naan. This is a great time to make the naan if you haven't already done so. Wrap cooked naan in a kitchen towel while you prep everything else. You can reheat the naan by wrapping it in damp paper towels and tossing it in the microwave for 15-second intervals.
- Marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil (1/3 cup), lemon juice (1/4 cup), parsley (2 tablespoons), lemon zest (1 teaspoon), erythritol (1 teaspoon), and oregano (1 teaspoon). Remove chicken from brine and pat completely dry with paper towels. Discard brine. Place chicken in a large mixing bowl, and pour half the marinade over the top (Set the other half of the marinade aside.). Toss to evenly coat the chicken. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers.
- Cook chicken, either on a hot grill or over the stove in a grill pan for 5-7 minutes on each side. You'll know the chicken is done once it reaches an internal temp of 165 F. Use a fork to push the chicken off the skewers into the bowl with the reserved marinade and toss to coat.
- Assemble. Place naan on a piece of foil, then spread some tzatziki, chicken, veggies, and feta. Serve warm and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Sweetener. For the marinade, I use Swerve or Lakanto, which are equally as sweet as sugar. If you use a different brand of erythritol, know that it is 70% as sweet and you'll want to adjust.
- Pickled onions are optional (but a great addition in my opinion). Feel free to skip and use diced red onions to save some time.
- Nutritional information was calculated using my naan recipe, and 1/4 of all ingredients listed above: