I never thought I’d get over cutting out regular taco shells, but these cheese taco shells taught me that I was TOTALLY wrong.
Cheese is the answer to everything! I mean, I should have realized it sooner, but…
Seriously though, this low carb recipes one of the simplest, easiest things I make. And makes any filling taste 10 times more delicious — dare I say, these cheese taco shells are significantly more tasty than corn or flour?!
Ohhh ya, I’m sayin’ it! And I have a feeling you’re going to agree…
How to Make Cheese Taco Shells
I’ll be honest with you, I was a bit nervous to test out recipes for these cheese taco shells — I assumed it would be complicated and require TONS of ingredients. False, and false.
A bit of technique is required to get these into crispy low carb tacos perfection (as opposed to a melted pile of cheese on your counter), but I’m here to share all that I’ve learned, so you can chow down on these amazingly delicious cheese taco shells in no time!
Here’s the cheese taco shells breakdown:
Preheat your oven to get things started, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Next, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the cheese onto the baking sheet. Make sure you leave a few inches around each cheese mound for spreading as the cheese melts.
Next, press that cheese down with your fingers, and then sprinkle some low carb taco seasoning on top.
Now, you’ll bake the cheese for around 8 and 10 minutes — you’ll know your cheese taco shells are done when the cheese starts to brown around the edges.
If you take them out before the begin to brown, your cheese taco shells will melt right off your wooden spoon, and won’t crisp up!
Now, lay down some paper towels. Then grab two even-height cups and a wooden spoon. Place the spoon across the tops of the cups (and over the paper towels — otherwise the grease will drop off the cheese taco shells and make a mess!).
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
Allow the cheese to cool on the baking sheet of about 5 minutes.
Then, using a spatula, move the cheese taco shell, and drape it over the wooden spoon.
If the cheese is hard to get off the parchment paper, stick it back into the oven for a little longer to let it get crisp.
Once the cheese taco shells have hardened into a taco shell shape, you’re ready to fill them up with your favorite taco filling!
Storing These Keto Tacos
Low carb meal prep is always a good idea, and you know I’m always working hard to find keto recipes to do this with!
That said, you can technically make these keto tacos ahead of time, but you probably won’t enjoy them as much as when they’re freshly made. Coming out of the fridge, they’ll feel a hint soggy, or at least won’t be as crisp as when they’re first made.
I don’t recommend freezing these cheese taco shells.
Luckily, these cheese taco shells come together in a flash, without any stirring or mixing required of you. I suggest making them when you plan to eat them for maximum enjoyment!
Reheating These Low Carb Tacos
These low carb tacos are awesome, but unfortunately, are not so awesome for reheating.
Since the only ingredient we’ll be using is cheese, they’ll melt if you heat them up in an oven or microwave. (This is another reason I only make enough for the low carb lunches I’m cooking at the moment.)
Low Carb Tortillas Variations
Of course, if you’re looking for a little variety in your low carb tortillas, trying mixing it up with some cheese taco shells variations!
Since there are only 2 ingredients in this recipe, there isn’t a whole lot to get creative with, but here are a few suggestions to help spice things up (or down) a bit!
While cheddar is always a crowd pleaser, you can make Provolone cheese taco shells, smoked gouda shells, Mexican cheese blend, taco cheese blend, or any other medium to hard cheese taco shells that you want!
Find a block of cheese and shred, or grab pre-shredded and you’ll be good to go! Since cheese is low in carbs, get wild and try any meltable cheese you’re craving! Check out Martha’s list of meltable cheese recs to get inspired.
Swap the Low Carb Taco Seasoning
Feel free to swap out the low carb taco seasoning for other blends that go well with your taco filler. I personally like to mix in meat, keto vegetables, and guacamole, so my keto taco seasoning works best.
Can You Make These on the Stove?
Technically, you can make these keto cheese taco shells stove top, but they’re a lot more work and don’t crisp as easily, so I REALLY wouldn’t recommend it.
The keto cheese taco shells in pan is a way more precise process, as they’ll crisp more easily and the cheese won’t drip off your wooden spoon.
How to Make Cheese Taco Shells Without Parchment Paper
To make cheese taco shells without parchment paper, simply try cheese taco shells aluminum foil, or grab a silpat and form your cheese taco shells on it.
How to Use these Low Carb Taco Shells
Seriously guys, there are low carb dinner ideas abound when it comes to these low carb taco shells! My two favorites are:
- Low carb walking tacos – you know those adorable walking tacos served in frito bags? Well, for even MORE delicious (and a low carb variation), serve them with diced up cheese taco shells in a bag/bowl. So tasty!
- Keto taco salad – Same concept as above, low carb taco salad is a delicious way to sneak in your low carb vegetables for low carb dinners, without feeling like you’re eating greens!
Can’t Get Enough Keto Tortillas? Here are More Options
Not sure these cheese taco shells are for you? Or, if you can’t get enough keto tortillas and low carb Mexican food in your life, try these simple and delicious low carb foods instead!
- Cauliflower Tortillas
- Coconut Flour Tortillas
- Low carb tortillas
- Low carb wraps
- Paleo wraps using collard greens
Also, be sure to check out my guide to low carb taco bell!
Cheese Taco Shells Recipe
Alright crew, let’s dive in and make this SUUUPER tasty low carb taco shell substitute, made from only 1 low carb food list item!
They’re perfect for low carb lunch ideas to fill with your favorite low carb shopping list ingredients. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
Cheese Taco Shells
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Teaspoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the cheese onto your prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each mound.
- Press the cheese with your fingers to flatten the tops, so you have an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top of your cheese mounds with low carb taco seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes. You’ll know the cheese is done when it starts to brown along the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare 2 cups with a wooden spoon balancing on top (see photos above). Place paper towels under the cups to prevent a big mess!
- Remove from the oven and allow the cheese to cool for 1-2 minutes on your baking sheet.
- Then, using a spatula, drape the cheese over the wooden spoon. If it’s hard to get a spatula under the cheese, it needs to crisp in the oven a little longer.
- Allow the cheese shells to harden on the wooden spoon before removing.
- Fill with your favorite taco ingredients and enjoy!