I basically plan my week around taco Tuesday (and fajita Friday!) so you can bet that this cheese taco shells recipe is one of my must-have low carb tortillas.
2 ingredients and less than 20 minutes sets me up with crunchy, mouthwatering low carb tortillas for all of my favorite taco recipes.
I thank my lucky stars for no carb foods like this one! They let me have the scrumptious meals I crave while letting me stick to low carb recipes!
So, break out the margaritas, it’s time for tacos! Let’s start!
This amazing cheese taco shells recipe is out of this world for a few reasons:
- 2, count em – TWO – ingredients!
- Gives me that salty crunchy flavor I long for when I have tacos.
- Ready in no time at all – let them bake while you make your taco filling, and you’re eating in under 30 minutes!
This cheese taco shells recipe is going to revolutionize your taco night! They’re fast and easy, but check out these tips to make them without a hitch.
Taco seasoning – Store-bought seasonings are often loaded with sugar… so make your own low carb taco seasoning instead! You’ll be surprised at how effortless it is – no sugar required!
Tools To Make
For this recipe you’ll need a couple of basic tools that I know you have stored in your cupboards:
- Rimmed baking sheet – also called a jelly roll pan, that rim will help keep the parchment in place
- Wooden spoon – this I going to help shape your tacos into that concave shape we love to fill with all the yummy, crunchy taco goodness! If you don’t have one, get one! they’re good for absolutely everything!
- Two tall glasses – to rest the spoon on.
Since this recipe is so easy to make, I suggest making only as many as you plan to eat in any given sitting.
BUT, if you have extra laying around, the best way to store this crunchy cheese taco shells recipe is nestled within one another. In an airtight container, place your shells between layers of parchment paper, and store in the fridge or on the counter.
Whatever you do, don’t try to reheat them in the oven or microwave! They’ll melt all over again.
These cheese taco shells are perfect for SO many recipes! Here are a few of our faves:
- Tacos (duh)! Use your favorite filling such as these ground chicken tacos.
- Low carb taco salad, low carb taco casserole or low carb taco soup topping — simply crush, sprinkle, and enjoy!
- Use the shell for low carb nachos, but either making smaller shapes or breaking the taco shells into smaller pieces.
These low carb tortillas are a perfect addition to anyone eating Keto, gluten free, or just looking to eat fewer carbs. Check out these great healthy recipes variations to this cheese taco shells recipe.
- Turn these into low carb chips. This recipe is great for making a nice big bowl of jalapeno parmesan crisps! Simply bake like the recipe says, then let cool, and break into smaller pieces. You could also bake them in smaller mounds, no breaking required. You can also cut them using a pizza cutter for low carb tortilla chips! Just watch the time to make sure they don’t get too crispy
- Add your favorite seasoning, or skip seasoning all together!
Cheese Taco ShellsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Teaspoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the cheese onto your prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each mound.
- Press the cheese with your fingers to flatten the tops, so you have an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top of your cheese mounds with low carb taco seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes. You’ll know the cheese is done when it starts to brown along the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare 2 cups with a wooden spoon balancing on top (see photos above). Place paper towels under the cups to prevent a big mess.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cheese to cool for 1-2 minutes on your baking sheet.
- Then, using a spatula, drape the cheese over the wooden spoon. If it’s hard to get a spatula under the cheese, it needs to crisp in the oven a little longer.
- Allow the cheese shells to harden on the wooden spoon before removing.
- Fill with your favorite taco ingredients and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Cheese sliding off the spoon. The cheese must crisp to make these taco shells — if it doesn’t crisp before you hang it over your spoon, it will slide and melt off the spoon.
- Reheating. Don’t reheat these, they will melt and make a big mess!
- Nutritional information is for 1 taco shell if you make 8 tacos using this recipe: