Once you try this ridiculously EASY and LOW CARB egg roll in a bowl, you’ll never want to eat egg rolls any other way!
That’s right friends…
This low carb dinner ready in less than 15, it’s full of that beloved keto Chinese food flavor, and (trust me when I tell you) anyone can make it!
We love whipping up a big batch of low carb recipes like this one, and my low carb chicken stir fry, for busy week meal prep.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Have you made egg rolls from scratch before? If so, you know how much time you’re going to save by simply sauteing all the ingredients together! (As opposed to sauteing, rolling, frying, etc.). PLUS:
- This recipe is suuuper low carb! And paleo! Making it an easy fit for all sorts of eating plans.
- It’s ready in 15 minutes, and is perfect for meal prep (dinner + lunch in 15?! YES PLEASE!)
- Full of veggies, protein, and loads of flavor.
Not much to this egg roll in a bowl recipe! Here are the deets:
The meat – Egg rolls are traditionally made with pork, which is an extremely lean, high protein source.
The sauce – A few Chinese food basics here such as soy sauce (sub for coconut aminos if paleo), ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
We’ll add a touch of sweetness with Swerve/Lakanto. You can use any of the keto sweeteners you prefer (or honey/brown sugar if not low carb). Swerve and Lakanto are equally as sweet as sugar, so keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.
The veggies – Thinly sliced cabbage and carrots are the only keto vegetables in this easy dish!
Tools To Make
All you’ll need to make egg roll in a bowl is a sharp knife to slice your veggies, and a large, heavy-bottomed pan.
Store your egg roll in a bowl leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
I suggest storing any additional toppings (such as green onions or chopped peanuts) on the side and adding them after you reheat leftovers to help maintain their optimal crunch and freshness.
Well, I would say serve this egg roll in a bowl, but you already know that! Jazz it up with…
- Toppings. We like to add some crunch with chopped keto nuts (peanuts) or seeds (sesame seeds).
- Over low carb rice, such as broccoli rice, miracle rice, or cauliflower fried rice.
- Or over noodles such as zucchini noodles (like this keto pad thai) or miracle noodles.
Want to add your spin to this egg roll in a bowl? There are so many ways to do that! To name a few…
- Swap the protein. You can use any sort of ground protein here — Ground turkey and chicken have similar fat content to pork and will work great in this dish. You can also turn this into a keto chicken stir fry by subbing in cubed chicken breast, or keto beef and broccoli with thinly sliced steak — just the adjust cook time accordingly.
- Add veggies! Stir fries are an awesome and easy way to sneak them in! Mushrooms, broccoli, bok choy, to name a few.
- Make this spicy by sneaking in some diced chiles, sriracha, or even red pepper flakes.
- Make a vegetarian version by simply skipping the meat.
Egg Roll in a BowlPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Lb Pork ground
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions sliced thinly. White + pale greens onion
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger grated
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below)
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Cup Carrot shredded
- 1 Head Napa Cabbage 6 Cups shredded
- Roasted Peanuts chopped
- Green Onions dark greens (the unused portion from above)
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Once shimmering add ground pork (1 Lb) and cook until no longer pink. Break meat into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cooks. Set cooked pork aside on a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the pan along with green onions (1/4 cup) , minced garlic (4 cloves), grated ginger (1 tablespoon), and red pepper flakes (a pinch). Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth (1/4 cup), soy sauce (1/3 cup), rice vinegar (1/3 cup), Swerve/Lakanto (1 tablespoon), shredded carrots (1 cup), and shredded cabbage (6 cups), and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat in the pan to bring the liquid to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots are softened to your liking.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in sesame oil (1 tablespoon)and cooked pork. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Lakanto, Swerve, or Erythritol. I stick to Lakanto and Swerve which are a 1:1 swap with traditional sugar. If using a different brand of Erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet as sugar, so you may need to add more to taste.
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.
- Peanuts. These are optional, but highly recommended! They add great texture to the dish.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 4, and doesn't include the optional toppings: