This low carb beef and broccoli is a real lifesaver when I’m craving some yummy Asian comfort food. Take out restaurants rarely make low carb recipes, but this homemade, recipe is faster, less expensive, and even more delicious!
The mouthwatering sauce on this dish goes perfectly with the juicy steak and crunchy broccoli, and, if you’re like me, this will be one of your go-to recipes.
Don’t wait – let’s get cooking!
This low carb beef and broccoli recipe makes a complex and decadent dish that is deceptively EASY! Plus:
- Easy, inexpensive ingredients you can find at any grocery store!
- Ready in under an hour!
- Tastes like your favorite take-out, with way, WAY less carbs!
This recipe uses a few Asian staples and smart swaps!
Flank steak – This popular cut of beef can get tough if not cooked correctly, which is why we spend time marinating it in our delicious sauce.
You’ll want to cut it in thin strips against the grain. The easiest way to do this is to pop it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before slicing!
Erythritol – Ah, my favorite of the keto sweeteners! This plant-based sugar swap comes in several varieties and is perfect for adding some sweetness to low carb cooking. For this recipe, you’ll want to get brown erythritol – essentially a brown sugar dupe.
Sherry – This sweet wine comes in several versions. Higher-end ones are for drinking, often with dessert. The kind we need is for cooking, and it’ll add a sweet and slightly salty note to our sauce. Find it in the grocery store near the vinegar and olive oil.
Ginger root – Ginger is a mainstay of Asian cooking. It has a unique, spicy citrusy taste that is very warming. Plus, it’s packed with health benefits!
This root can look a bit intimidating, but it’s super easy to prepare. Just take a spoon and scrape it down the edge of the root, removing the tough outer skin and revealing the tender inside.
Tools To Make
A few basic tools make this simple recipe even easier!
- Wok – These magic pans are amazing because of the unique way they distribute heat by allowing the whole pan to heat up at the same time, you can cook more food at once! If you don’t have a wok, you can just use a large skillet.
- Slotted spoon – this is used to remove cooked ingredients from the hot oil in the pan.
- Sharp knife – sounds basic, but you’ll want a nice, sharp blade to get even, thin slices of flank steak. This allows the meat to cook quickly and evenly with the rest of the ingredients.
Store any leftover low carb beef and broccoli in the fridge in an airtight container. I like to separate out my leftovers into individual plastic containers for easy reheating – just pop it in the microwave or pour into a pan to heat, and you’re all set for a healthy, satisfying meal.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! This is a great dish to freeze, either all together or in individual servings. Thaw in the fridge the day before you plan to eat, then reheat as usual!
This dish is delicious on its own, but I really love it served over some low carb rice like cauliflower or broccoli rice. The rice soaks up the sauce and is the perfect texture to complement the rest of the dish!
For an upgraded version, try serving it over the cauliflower fried rice!
Stir-frie recipes give you an awesome base recipe to get creative with, here are a few ways you can add your own flair:
- Make it spicier by adding some dried and diced chile peppers, as I do in this Hunan chicken and beef stir-fries. You can also add sriracha!
- Switch up the meat. Obviously a low carb chicken stir fry is always delicious… and how about shrimp?? Add in your favorite protein and get cooking!
- Add different veggies. This particular recipe is low carb beef and broccoli, but that doesn’t mean broccoli is the only veggie you should add — add any low carb vegetables that work with what you’re craving: bell peppers, onions, carrots, etc.
- Switch up the sauce. This sauce is verrry simple (traditional beef and broccoli recipes always are) as you want the meat to be the star. But you can as fancy/funky as you please. Check out the sauce on this low carb pad thai, or the sweet sauce on this low carb orange chicken.
Low Carb Beef and BroccoliPrint Recipe
- 1 Pound Flank Steak cut into 1/8" thick strips
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1/3 Cup Sherry
- 1/4 Cup Golden Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below) lightly packed
- 2 Teaspoons Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below) plus more if needed
- 1" Piece Ginger Root peeled
- 1 Clove Garlic peeled and smashed
- 12 Ounces broccoli cut into florets
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, erythritol, and cornstarch until everything has dissolved into the liquid.
- Add the sliced beef and toss to evenly coat in the marinade.
- Allow beef to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat veggie oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once shimmering, add ginger and garlic. Stir constantly (garlic can easily burn at this temp), and cook until fragrant - about 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove ginger and garlic from the oil, and discard.
- Add the broccoli. Cook in the oil until bright green (about 5-7 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to place broccoli on a clean plate, and set aside.
- Add the beef and marinade to the skillet.
- Cook the beef in the marinade until it is no longer pink.
- Add the broccoli back to the wok/skillet and toss together for 3-5 minutes -- you'll know it's done once the broccoli has heated through.
- Optional (I always do this because I prefer a thicker sauce, especially since low carb "rice" doesn't soak up sauce as well as traditional): remove the beef and broccoli to a clean plate using a slotted spoon, leaving the sauce in the pan. Heat the sauce to a heavy simmer, and continue to reduce until it has thickened to your liking. Pour over the beef and broccoli and toss everything together.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, and top with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Has this low carb beef and broccoli got you imagining all of the Asian recipes you can try?? Here are some amazing, quick dinners that are mouthwatering and easy!
- Asian Chicken Marinade. This chicken is PACKED with flava!
- Low Carb Egg Rolls. Seriously, you won’t miss the wonton wrappers…
- Thai Chicken Soup. You’ll crave cold weather just so you can make this soup!
- Chinese Chicken Salad. Full of so many goodies.
- Low Carb Sushi. You’ll forget rice was ever a part of sushi!
This low carb beef and broccoli is SO easy and delicious, you’ll be wondering how you lived without it! Comment below with your favorite way to spice this recipe up!