I can’t wait for you to try this low carb beef stroganoff!
Because the truth is, with stroganoff, you think you’re craving egg noodles, but you’re really craving tender beef and mushrooms and a flavorful sauce, and this low carb dinners packed with all of that!
We swap the pasta for cabbage noodles, an awesome and easy low carb pasta sub. This low carb recipes seriously so good, and super-duper easy!
Let’s get cooking!
It’s one of my favorite noodle dishes without the carby noodles, plus:
- The ingredients are inexpensive and super easy to find!
- Ready in under an hour, start to finish (a lot of that time is simmer time!)
- Packed with flavors that feel complex and comforting at the same time!
This low carb beef stroganoff has amazing flavor and is a filling and warming dish – perfect for a cool evening in!
Accessible ingredients are my favorite, and this stroganoff is grocery list friendly!
Flank steak – This flavorful beef cut is muscular and can be tough if not cut correctly. Slice it thin and against the grain to get tender pieces. I find it easier to cut it correctly by placing it in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing!
Xanthan gum – This gluten-free thickener takes the place of flour/cornstarch, and will help give our sauce some more body.
Cabbage noodles – Cabbage is so underutilized! It’s got tons of important vitamins and minerals, and its neutral flavor is great in many dishes. When thinly shredded, cabbage makes an amazing noodle base that is super low in carbs!
Tools To Make
This easy low carb beef stroganoff recipe needs two large skillets, one with a lid. You could also use a large saucepot or dutch oven to make the soup base if you needed to. That’s it!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, this low carb beef stroganoff is great for freezing ahead! This dish can be frozen in a couple of ways:
- You can freeze it after it is all cooked, sans cabbage noodles. Thaw in the fridge, and reheat on the stove and add fresh noodles for a super quick meal!
- The other way is to cook just the meat, add in the rest of the ingredients (besides noodles) and freeze. Thaw in the fridge, cook on the stove as directed and you are ready to go!
Want to change things up a bit? Here are a few ways to get creative with this stroganoff:
- Want to serve it over something other than cabbage? Try veggie noodles, almond flour pasta, or low carb rice!
- The meat in this dish can be switched out. Try skirt steak, or use ground meat like in these low carb ground beef recipes.
- Want the flavors but a bit of a switch-up? You can always make low carb meatballs, and serve those with the sauce and cabbage noodles. Yummy and super hearty!
Low Carb Beef StroganoffPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 Head Cabbage shredded
- Cut the steak into thin strips. Option to place meat in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing to help cut the meat thinly!
- Sprinkle the steak strips salt and pepper.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet (that you have a lid for).
- Sear steak on each side for about 1 minute (until the edges are no longer pink). Do this in batches to you don't overcrowd the pan, and remove cooked meat to a plate on the side.
- Add 2 remaining tablespoons of butter to the skillet.
- Once melted, add onion and mushrooms and cook until the onion is tender about 12 minutes. Scrape up any brown bits that have accumulated on the bottom as the veggies release their liquid.
- Add meat back to the pan, along with xanthan gum and salt. Toss to coat the meat and veggies.
- Stir in the thyme, garlic, tabasco, beef broth, and heavy cream.
- Cook covered at a steady simmer for about 30 minutes. (This is a good time to get the cabbage noodles going, instructions below)
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning to taste, I like to add an additional teaspoon of salt to this dish.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream.
- Serve over cabbage noodles and enjoy!
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet oven medium heat.
- Add cabbage, and toss to coat in the oil.
- Saute until wilted to your liking, I usually cook mine for 6-8 minutes.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Looking for more low carb beef recipes? I have some great ideas to fill out your meal plan. Try some of these:
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Read it with me, BACON wrapped MEATLOAF. YUM!
- Low Carb Beef and Broccoli – One of your fave Asian dishes, low carb style!
- Instant Pot Corned Beef – St. Patrick would be proud.
- Low Carb Chili – My favorite way to eat chili!
- Low Carb Meatloaf – The flavors in this dish are unbelievable.
I can’t wait to hear what you think about this low carb beef stroganoff! Let me know in the comments what you thought of the cabbage noodles! Enjoy!