This keto lasagna soup is here to comfort you from inside out. Full of juicy sausage, sauteed onions, tomatoes, and lots. of. cheese. After a few spoonfuls, you’ll forget noodles ever existed. Bonus: this soup is great for meal prep or big family dinners.
Is Lasagna Soup Low Carb? Keto? Paleo?
Traditional lasagna soup is made with lasagna noodles, which are not low carb, keto, or paleo. This recipe is noodle free, making it a great option for those on a keto eating plan. If you’re looking for a paleo lasagna soup, you can modify this recipe by skipping the cheese.
What You’ll Need for Keto Lasagna Soup
This keto lasagna soup comes together with a few cans of tomatoes, cheese, some herbs, and aromatics. Easy, but oh-so-full of flavor.
- Aromatics – diced onion and garlic sauteed in olive oil. Yes, please!
- Keto spaghetti sauce – made from crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and herbs.
- Meat – we love a combo of Italian sausage and beef.
- Cheese – mozzarella and parmesan make this broth thick and creamy.
But I Really Want Noodles…
No problem. These days there are loads of keto pasta options. If you want to add them in, check out my notes below for when and how:
- Butternut squash noodles – Add these in at the end, and cook for about 3 minutes before removing your soup from heat. You don’t want to overcook them, pull when they’re still al dente as the heat of the soup will continue to cook them.
- Zucchini noodles – Completely remove your keto lasagna soup from heat, then add these in. Zucchini noodles can become mushy very easily. Use a mandolin to make zucchini lasagna noodles, or spiralize.
- Spaghetti squash – Fully cook, either in the microwave or oven before adding in. I like to keep them a little al dente, because again, the soup will continue to soften.
- Almond flour pasta – my variation is not strong enough to hold up in this soup, but some storebought products may be (mines best for sauce rather than soups, like keto gnocchi). I recommend cooking before adding them in.
- Shredded cabbage – Remove from heat and add in the shredded cabbage. These are the “noodles” I use for my keto chicken soup.
Tweaks and Variations
We absolutely love this soup as is. But if you’d like to add your own spin, here are some ways to do so:
- Different meat. Ground or shredded chicken (ala rotisserie chicken soup), turkey, all pork, all beef. You could even use my keto meatballs if you prefer.
- Make it vegetarian. Just skip the meat.
- Dairy free (paleo!). Skip the cheese for a delicious keto tomato soup with meat.
- Add more veg. Sauteed broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc.
How to Make Low Carb Lasagna Soup
This lasagna soup is one of my favorite keto soup recipes because it comes together with hardly any work from you, and very little chopping. Here’s how to do it:
1. Brown the meat + saute the onion.
2. Add garlic.
3. Add tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer until the soup has thickened.
4. Add the cheese and fresh herbs.
Serve yourself a bowl of this keto lasagna soup with a side salad, or a platter of roasted vegetables. I also love a toasted slice of keto bread to dip into the soup.
Storing, Reheating, and Freezing
The beauty of soup, is the amount it makes. During the winter we make a few soups a week for meal prep. Here’s how to take advantage of those leftovers:
- To store: Store in the fridge in an airtight container. Keep fresh herbs separate and sprinkle on top after your soup has reheated.
- To reheat: In the microwave or over the stove. If microwaving, place a damp paper towel on top to prevent splatter.
- To freeze: Place in an airtight container (I find plastic containers or jars are easier than plastic bags for storing soup), making sure to leave plenty of room on top, as liquids expand when they freeze.
More Keto Pasta Alternatives to Love
- Keto Alfredo Sauce
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Keto Shrimp Scampi
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Keto Lasagna SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage ground
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz can) tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz can) tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add Italian sausage, ground beef, and onions and cook until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the mozzarella, parmesan, and parsley. Continue to stir until the cheese has fully melted into the broth. Serve with additional parmesan and parsley, and enjoy!