As far as I’m concerned, pizza is a food group, which makes this Meatza one of my all-time favorite low carb dinners!
Low carb pizza isn’t something new, but it’s never tasted quite this great before! It should be part of the food pyramid. There are lots of low carb recipes for pizza out there but how many of them actually taste amazing and have almost 20 grams of protein per serving?
There aren’t many low carb ground beef recipes with those credentials either. To top it off, this is Pizza! Or… Meatza! (One minor difference.)
C’mon, let’s dive in!
Meatza combines all the savory flavors of meat with my favorite food group – pizza! What more could you ask for? It’s high protein, low carb luxury with all the best characteristics of America’s favorite food.
Here are some solid reasons to love Meatza:
- Protein packed (literally)
- Amazing flavor
- Satisfies savory cravings
- Really easy to make
- Low to no carb
Here’s everything you need to know about making meatza:
Meat – Making Meatza according to the recipe calls for ground turkey but ground beef can be substituted, and will work just as well. Using either make these healthy recipes savory and incredibly tasty dish that’s hard to resist!
Cheese – Cheese helps to bind the ingredients together. You can skip it if you’re looking for a paleo option, although the meatza may have a harder time sticking together.
Tools To Make This Low Carb Pizza Crust
Making this high protein, low carb pizza crust is a single bowl affair which means no long clean-up afterwards (awesome sauce). So, aside from the bowl, you’ll only need a couple of prepared baking sheets.
Pro Tip: Meatza tastes best when the crust cooks evenly. To ensure even thickness, cover with wax paper and gently press the bottom of a pot against each one. Viola! (They won’t be exact, but you’ll be able to get them really close.)
Healthy Dinner Storing Tips
Meatza will keep in the fridge in Ziploc baggies or in an airtight container for healthy dinner ideas at the ready!
Can You Freeze This Low Carb Dinner?
Yes, you can! Freezing your Meatza just ensures that you have low carb frozen pizza on-demand, no extra charge! You can freeze your low carb dwhole or in single serve portions for some delectable ready made lunches and low carb dinners that are sure to fuel the rest of your day.
Meal Prepping Tips
Prepping meals just makes the rest of the week easier and there are a couple of different ways to use this recipe for meal prep. First, you can make the entire thing, add the toppings and freeze it whole. That way you just have to pull it out and pop it in the oven on busy nights.
You can also freeze the Meatza crust before adding toppings so the kiddos can help on pizza night or you can top according to your taste. Lastly, you can add the Meatza crust ingredients and combine well before freezing individual pizza portions. Then you can thaw and cook them one at a time.
When meal prepping this recipe, we like to turn them into smaller “personal sized” pizzas, or even shape them into a keto calzone!
Topping and cooking this scrumptious crustless pizza means there are plenty of ways to vary the recipe:
- Add different herbs and spices. It is one way to change the flavor of your Meatza. Taco seasoning is fantastic, but others work, too!
- Try topping your crustless pizza with cheddar cheese for a hamburger Meatza. You could also try using ground sausage for a deep, delicious flavor twist.
- Make this with other types of meat. Use ground turkey, beef, sausage or chicken to make your Meatza. They’re all high protein, low carb options. Chicken crust pizza is another irresistible ground chicken recipe and it’s a little different than the Meatza. You’ll have a hard time choosing between the two, I can promise you that!
- Add more veggies. There are other creative ways to add veggies besides piling them on top of your Meatza. Zucchini pizza and eggplant pizza are both fantastic full-flavored options for boosting your veggie intake and getting your pizza, too!
I still think pizza should be a food group but for now I’ll settle for keeping healthy pizza as a staple in my healthy diet. A girl shouldn’t have to go without her pizza!
For far too long we’ve had to choose between our waistline and our favorite foods… and it stops now! With all of these tasty low carb pizza crusts:
- Coconut Flour Pizza Crust
- No Crust Pizza
- Fathead Pizza
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza
MeatzaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Low Carb Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef (1 pound), egg (1), grated parmesan cheese (2 tablespoons) and spices together with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Form the meat into a circular shape on your prepared baking sheet, until it's about ¾” thick.
- Toss in preheated oven and cook until cooked through and no longer pink in the center – about 17-19 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and crank it up to broil.
- Cover your crust in pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Return to the oven and broil. Watch closely, you only want to melt/brown the cheese.
- Allow the pizza to cool before slicing, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice if you cut your pizza into 8 slices (and doesn’t include toppings, sauce or cheese.):