Of all the burger recipes out there, this bunless burger makes my absolute favorite patties. They’re full of so much juicy flavor, you’ll forget buns even exist!
Serve them over a bed of crispy lettuce, eat with a fork and knife, or for bonus points, sandwich them between my low carb hamburger buns.
The secret ingredient in these bad boys makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in their flavor and texture!
Turn on that grill (or stove) and let’s get to it!
If you love to cook, then you NEED a family approved burger recipe. Here’s why I nominate this bunless burger recipe for the position:
- They’re my FAVORITE recipe for burger patties. Juicy, and full of complex flavors, you’ll never want to add breadcrumbs to patties again!
- They come together quickly and easily, with no special techniques required.
- The patties are delicious however you want to eat them! Cover them with cheese, sandwich them between buns, or wrap them in lettuce.
Compared to plain ground beef patties, there’s one extra step here that’s going to make all the difference! Here’s everything you need to know:
Grated Onions are what make these patties SO juicy and full of flavor. The trick here is to get the liquid out of the onions before mixing them into the meat. I find this is best done with a clean kitchen towel.
Pro Tip! Set the bowl of “onion juice” in the fridge, and use it to marinade steaks!
Cheese! Top them with cheese during their last minute on the grill.
Vegetables. I love all the classic low carb vegetables on my burger: onions, tomatoes, and lettuce. Feel free to use your faves.
Tools To Make
Nothing fancy here! Just a:
- Cheese grater for getting the onion finely minced.
- Kitchen towels to ring out as much liquid as possible. You can use paper towels.
- Bowl to mix the burger ingredients
- Grill or stove to cook them.
- Burger “doneness”. The onion keeps these patties juicy, so they can be cooked a little longer without getting tough. If you’d like a medium-rare burger, cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side. For medium, add a minute on each side.
- Grill vs. stovetop. In my opinion, you just can’t beat that charcoal flavor, but cooking them on the stove in a cast iron is a great way to save some time!
These juicy bunless burgers go perfectly with all the burger side dish classics…
Want to add your own twist to these burgers? The easiest way to get creative with your bunless burgers is with the toppings — different cheese, sauces, and veggies (all listed above under ingredient notes).
But if you’d like to take this recipe in a slightly different direction, here are some ideas for you:
- Try a different type of meat. This recipe works well for chicken burgers and turkey burgers, just know that you’ll want to cook them fully through — use a meat thermometer to test their doneness.
- Not feeling the large patties? Make sliders instead. Check out my turkey burger sliders or Italian meatball sliders to get an idea of more bunless “bun” options!
- Turn these bunless burgers into low carb meatballs!
- Chop up the cooked patties and serve them in low carb salads with your favorite veggies and dressing.
Bunless BurgerPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Small Onion grated
- 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Grate the onion using a cheese grater.
- Place grated onion in paper towels or dish towels, and ring out as much of the liquid as possible.
- Place the remaining patty ingredients in a large bowl, and mix together using your hands.
- Form 4 patties, pressing your thumb into the top center of each to form a shallow indent.
- Grill/pan-sear your burgers based on preference, be sure to add sliced cheese (if using) to the top of each patty during the last minute of cooking...Grill: Heat grill to hot and cook burgers on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until the burger is done to your liking.Pan-sear: Warm a heavy-bottomed pan or skillet over high heat and cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, whatever you’re craving. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
I hope you and all your carb eating friends love this bunless burger as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below what you think. And Enjoy!