Calling all Mexican food fans, this keto Mexican casserole is the dish you’ve been waiting for! Sure to curb all your cheesy, zesty cravings without hardly any carbs…
As far as low carb casseroles are concerned, this is one of our family (and fan!) favorites.
Best news is? When you serve this low carb chicken casserole for dinner, you don’t have to worry about multiple courses and sides — everything is baked together into one easy to serve (and eat!) dish.
PLUS! This dish’s leftovers make for the perfect low carb dinners all week longgg!
Let’s do this…
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
I love that this keto Mexican casserole recipe is ready in under an hour, making it doable on a busy weeknight. And:
- Creamy cheesy deliciousness
- REALLY easy to make
Truly, one of the easiest casserole recipes out there! Here’s how to throw this one together:
- Saute bell pepper and onion.
- Add spices and toast.
- Add sour cream, salsa, and cooked chicken and stir to combine.
- Pour heavy cream evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 F for 30 minutes.
Important Ingredients Notes
Pretty standard ingredients in this keto chicken casserole, here are a few to point out:
- Chicken – I love using rotisserie chicken, but this dish is perfect to turn into a leftover chicken casserole, too. Be sure to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Salsa – Check your label. Salsas vary in carb counts, some even contain added sugar. To keep your carbs the same as below, your product should have 1-2g carbs/2 Tablespoons.
- Spices – toasting them coaxes out their flavor, don’t skip this step!
Storing your low carb Mexican casserole recipe is simple — just use saran wrap or foil to store leftovers in the casserole dish and slide it into the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, you sure can. This low carb Mexican casserole recipe can go right into the freezer after it cools, for ready-made low carb meals!
I like to slice this recipe up, and place each slice in a labeled ziplock — that way you’ll have pre-portioned freezer meals at your fingertips!
Looking for a taco casserole with tortillas? I’ve got one better… Serve this dish with my famous keto tortillas!
That way, you can spoon the casserole inside and roll it on up, YUM! You can also serve this with a side of low carb rice such as Miracle rice, cauliflower, or broccoli.
Want to switch things up to accommodate your taste? Here are a few ideas:
- Use a different kind of meat, instead of chicken, like ground beef, turkey, or pulled pork. I wouldn’t turn this into a keto tuna casserole, but any other cooked meat should be delicious.
- Use ground chicken. Want to turn up the taco vibe? Saute some ground chicken and use that instead of shredded for a ground chicken casserole
- Add more veggies. Casseroles are an awesome way to sneak them in — just add in your faves (be sure to saute first to release their liquid). Take some notes from my keto squash casserole
- Turn this into a breakfast casserole. Literally, just add whisked eggs for a Mexican inspired keto breakfast casserole! You can also toss some leftovers into your next breakfast scramble, yum!
Do you loveee how easy and convenient casseroles are?! ME TO! Here are a few more to add to your wheelhouse:
- Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Keto Zucchini Lasagna
- Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Zucchini Enchiladas
Keto Mexican CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast cooked + shredded into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Salsa spicy or mild depending on preference
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese shredded
- Fresh Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat olive oil (2 tablespoons) over medium heat in a large pan (I like to use a 9" oven-safe skillet so I use only one pan for the entire recipe!). Once shimmering, add red bell pepper (1 chopped), red onion (1 chopped), salt (2 teaspoons), and pepper (1 teaspoon). Saute until softened.
- Add the chili powder (1 tablespoon), cumin (1 tablespoon), and dried oregano (2 teaspoons), and toast until fragrant - about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and add sour cream (1/2 cup), salsa (1 cup), and 1 Lb cooked/shredded chicken breast (1 Lb). Stir to combine.
- If you aren't using an oven-safe pan, transfer ingredients to an 8x8 casserole dish.
- Pour heavy cream (1/4 cup) evenly over the top and sprinkle with shredded cheese (1 cup).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until casserole is warmed all the way through and the cheese has lightly browned. Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice if you cut the casserole into 6 slices: