Zesty sausage, melty cheese, and sauteed veggies unite for a keto breakfast casserole that’s best described as convenient, hearty, delicious, AND low carb.
Still hungry? Check out my whole collection of keto breakfast recipes.
What’s in This Low Carb Breakfast Casserole?
Your typically breakfast casserole ingredients, minus the tots or potatoes, are all you need. But don’t worry, with all the flavor packed ingredients we’re using, you won’t even notice they’re gone! Think of this casserole as more of a creamy crustless quiche than a light frittata:
- Italian sausage – spicy or mild will do. If you can only find links, use a knife to slice each sausage down the center, press out the sausage, and discard the casing.
- Avocado or vegetable oil – we want a mild tasting oil with a high smoke point.
- Veggies – Onion and bell pepper.
- Heavy cream – traditional breakfast casseroles often use milk. Substituting for heavy cream saves carbs and makes the casserole silky smooth.
- Tabasco – We’re only adding a little, which adds no heat, rather some complexity to the creamy base of this low carb breakfast casserole.
- Cherry tomatoes – optional. They do add carbs to this dish (.7 g per cherry tomato to be exact).
Substitutions + Tweaks
As you can imagine, there are dozens of ways to make a low carb breakfast casserole. Here are some ingredients you can switch around to get what you’re craving:
- Try different keto vegetables, like mushrooms, broccoli, or spinach (ala crustless spinach quiche).
- Sub sausage for… bacon or make a breakfast casserole with ham.
- Or skip the meat for a vegetarian option.
- Make it spicy by adding more Tabasco or diced jalapenos.
- Add a crust. Check out my keto quiche which uses my incredible keto pie crust.
How To Make Keto Breakfast Casserole
Not much to this breakfast casserole, just a quicke saute and browning of the meat, then you can let your oven do the rest. Here’s how:
Prep the mix ins: Brown the meat and saute the veggies.
Mix it all together: Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and tabasco. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, sausage, veggies, and tomatoes.
Bake: Pour into a greased casserole dish + bake!
Storing, Freezing, + Reheating
This keto breakfast casserole is meal prep that doesn’t skimp on flavor, the ideal breakfast for those of us who never have time for breakfast. So prep it, slice it, and enjoy hitting the snooze button all week long. Here’s how:
- Storing: Store leftover sausage in the fridge in an airtight container. Top with freshly sliced green onions after reheating.
- Freezing: Freeze individual slices in their own resealable baggies.
- Reheating: Simply reheat in the microwave, from the fridge or freezer.
Keto Breakfast Casserole Video Tutorial
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Keto Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or vegetable oil (note 1)
- 1 Cup Onion chopped (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 10 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes sliced
- Prep. Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Cook sausage. Add breakfast sausage (1 pound) to a large skillet over medium heat. Break the meat into small pieces while the sausage cooks. Once browned and no longer pink, remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute veggies. Carefully remove excess grease from the pan (I do this by tilting the pan, and dabbing up the grease with paper towels and a set of tongs), and add vegetable oil (2 tablespoons). Once shimmering, add chopped onions (1 cup), chopped bell peppers (1 cup), and salt (1 teaspoon). Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Eggs. In a large bowl, whisk eggs (10), heavy cream (1 cup), and tabasco (1/2 teaspoon). Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups), cooled sausage, cooled cooked veggies, and sliced cherry tomatoes (1/2 cup). Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You'll know the casserole is done once the center is set and the edges begin to brown. Slice into 9 pieces, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Oil – opt for a mild-tasting oil with a high smoke point. My favorite is avocado oil. Skip olive oil and coconut oil here.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice, if you cut this recipe into 8 slices: