Crispy bacon and tender asparagus are a match made in heaven, and these incredibly easy bacon wrapped asparagus spears are here to prove it. They may look too pretty to eat, but after one bite you’ll find it hard not to eat the whole tray. Here’s how to get them perfect. Every time…
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
What You’ll Need
Two ingredients are all you need, everything else adds a bit more pizzaz. Here’s what to gather:
- Asparagus spears – look for bright and firm asparagus. Soft or wrinkled asparagus stalks are on their way out.
- Bacon – thick cut isn’t your friend here. We always buy nitrate-free bacon.
I love a simple salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but you do you! There are tons of ways you can flavor your bacon wrapped asparagus, including:
- Lemon zest to finish
- Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar to coat the bacon before cooking.
- Fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary.
How do you trim asparagus?
Remove the bottom tips from your asparagus, you’ll want to slice right where the white turns to green. This is best done with a sharp knife. Slice half of a bunch at a time.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus In The Oven
With the right tools and techniques, bacon wrapped asparagus comes together easily in the oven. Here’s how:
- Slice your bacon in half lengthwise.
- Wrap your asparagus with bacon, slightly overlapping the bacon each time around.
- Place bacon wrapped asparagus on a wire rack nestled into a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven, flipping the asparagus halfway through.
Alternate Cooking Methods
Although oven roasted is my favorite method for cooking this app, you can crisp your bacon a few other ways as well:
- Air fryer – Preheat the air fryer to 390 F, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the bacon is cooked through and crispy. Since the air fryer is smaller, you’ll only be able to cook 5-6 asparagus spears at a time.
- Grill – Preheat grill to 400 F. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil down (this will prevent the asparagus from falling through the grates), and grill with the lid on for 18-20 minutes.
How to Make Your Bacon Extra Crispy
There are a few ways to get your bacon even crispier without making your asparagus too soft. Here’s how:
- Buy thinly sliced bacon, thick cut bacon won’t crisp as quickly.
- Precook the bacon slices on your prepared baking sheet. I usually cook the bacon about halfway through, then wrap your asparagus and finish cooking (I always do this when making bacon wrapped meatloaf).
- Use a wire rack for cooking the bacon wrapped asparagus, this will allow air to fully circulate around each piece.
- A short broil at the end of your bake time will typically crisp the bacon just enough.
Can You Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Advance?
Sure can! I love to prep my bacon wrapped asparagus, and place it on a rimmed baking sheet, then I bake it just before I plan to serve it to ensure the bacon is still crisp.
More Sides to Love
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- Classic Deviled Eggs
- Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Parmesan Crisps
Bacon Wrapped AsparagusPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 20 stalks Asparagus
- 10 slices Bacon thin cut
- 1 teaspoon Avocado or veggie oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 F, and place an oven-safe wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet. Place the top rack of your oven 6″ away from the bottom of your broiler.
- Slice to remove and discard the tough ends of the asapargus, right where the white turns to green. Place asparagus in a bowl and toss with oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cut each piece of bacon in half lengthwise (this makes them easier to wrap!). Tightly wrap the bacon around the asparagus stalks, slightly overlapping to seal. Place the asparagus seamside down on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on the top rack of your preheated oven for 10 minutes. Flip each asparagus using tongs, then return to the oven. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes–until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crisp. Crank oven to broil, and broil the bacon until its crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Want to keep your asparagus more firm? You can precook the bacon. I typically do this for about 10 minutes, then wrap the asparagus in the bacon, and continue to cook for about 10-15, or until the asparagus has softened to your liking.
- If using thick-cut bacon, it’s important to precook before wrapping your asparagus stalks.