Sure, family is great, but for me, this keto green bean casserole is the REAL highlight of the holidays. Creamy, cheesy, crunchy perfection baked together for a casserole that’s so full of comfort, no one will know is low in carbs.
Keto Green Bean Casserole Video Tutorial
Important Ingredient Notes
- Green Beans – opt for thawed frozen French cut green beans. They have the best texture (slight crunch, not soggy).
- Unsalted Butter
- Mushrooms – white sliced mushrooms are perfect here.
- Yellow Onion
- Kosher Salt + Pepper
- Heavy Cream – significantly lower in carbs than milk, plus it adds creamy texture to our keto green bean casserole.
- Xanthan Gum – helps thicken the sauce. A little goes a long way here!
- Tabasco – adds depth to the sauce without spice. If you want to add some spice, crank up the amount of Tabasco.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Crushed Pork Rinds – For a little crunch on top. Optional but highly recommended!
How to Make Keto Green Bean Casserole:
- Place defrosted green beans in a clean kitchen towel, and gently ring out water. You want to remove as much liquid from the green beans as possible, without squishing them too much.
- Melt butter in a large oven-safe skillet. Add sliced mushrooms, yellow onions, salt, and pepper and saute over medium heat until onions become translucent.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in heavy cream, Tabasco, thyme, and xanthan gum.
- Stir in the green beans.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle the top of your pan with cheddar and crushed pork rinds.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
What Are the Carbs in Green Beans?
1 cup of green beans has 6 g total, 4 g net — they’re actually one of the few keto beans options. So if you’re wondering are green beans acceptable on the keto diet? That depends on your eating plan and goals! Check out the nutritional information below the low carb green bean casserole recipe to see if this recipe works for you.
Keto Green Beans Recipe Variations
This low carb green bean casserole is very traditional, so make it as is, or opt for something a little different…
- Skip the pork rinds, or try something else to add crunch. For a low carb option, the best alternatives are keto nuts.
- Make a keto green bean casserole with bacon, by mixing cooked and crumbled bacon in.
- Add some heat, by increasing the amount of Tabasco, or adding some cayenne pepper.
- Add other keto vegetables, just sauté them first.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
- Keto Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- Keto Breakfast Casserole
Keto Green Bean CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Frozen French Cut Green Beans thawed*
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme fresh
- 3 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds optional
- Prep. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place defrosted green beans in a clean kitchen towel, and gently ring out water. You want to remove as much liquid from the green beans as possible, without squishing them too much.
- Saute. Melt butter (2 tablespoons) in a large oven-safe skillet. Add sliced mushrooms (2 cups), yellow onions (1 chopped), salt (1 1/2 teaspoon), and pepper (1/4 teaspoon) and saute over medium heat until onions become translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in heavy cream (1 1/2 cups), Tabasco (1/2 teaspoon), thyme (1 teaspoon), and xanthan gum (1/4 teaspoon). Bring the combo to a gentle simmer. Cook veggies in simmering cream for 15 minutes, you'll know they're done once the sauce has reduced by half, and it coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the green beans. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Bake. Remove from heat, and sprinkle the top of your pan with cheddar and crushed pork rinds (if using). Bake for 20 minutes, you'll know the casserole is done once the beans are heated through and the cheese starts to bubble. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- To thaw the green beans, I let them sit in the fridge overnight on a large plate.