This smashed brussel sprouts recipe is here to change the game on the veggie everyone loves to hate. It’s cheesy, it’s decadent, and it makes other keto side dishes green with envy as the PERFECT potato substitute. Tired of cauliflower everything? This one’s for you!
Smashed Brussel Sprouts Video Tutorial
- Brussels sprouts – You can use fresh or frozen, although I much prefer the texture of fresh (frozen often gets mushy). The first step is to steam the brussels – The goal is to get them soft enough to smash with little pressure. I do this in a pot of boiling water, a microwave works as well.
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar – Opt for high-quality balsamic (check out this list). Making smashed brussel sprouts with balsamic adds a bit of sweet tang to this dish.
- Salt + pepper
- Leeks – be sure to wash very well by slicing and resting in a bowl of water, so that any sandy soil stuck between the layers will sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Parmesan – making smashed brussel sprouts parmesan is the best way to get these nice and crispy (parmesan crisps up as it bakes). If you’d prefer a meltier, less crispy version, make smashed brussel sprouts with mozzarella.
How to Make Smashed Brussel Sprouts:
- Trim the bottom of the brussel sprouts and discard yellow leaves. Steam the brussel sprouts for about 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender. Allow brussels to drain in a colander while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and ground black pepper. Add brussel sprouts, leek, and toss to coat evenly.
- Use a small mason jar, to press the brussel sprouts into flat patties.
- Cover brussel sprouts in grated parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Reheating Your Brussel Sprouts
Heating up some leftovers? This is best done in an oven or toaster oven to re-crisp the cheese on top of this smashed brussel sprouts recipe.
🤔 Why Won’t my Brussel Sprouts Get Crispy?
There are a few reasons why your smashed brussel sprouts may not crisp, including:
- Too crowded on the pan
- Not enough cheese
- Using a different type of cheese than parmesan
- Add cooked + crumbled bacon after baking.
- Mix in some potatoes, keto potatoes, or other smashable veggies.
- Cut some carbs for smashed brussel sprouts keto by skipping the leeks.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Keto French Fries
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Broccoli Rice
- Mashed Cauliflower
Smashed Brussel SproutsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Large Leek white and pale green parts only, washed well and thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prep brussel sprouts: Trim the bottom of the brussel sprouts (2 pounds) and discard yellow leaves. Steam the brussel sprouts for about 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender. Allow brussels to drain in a colander while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Combine: In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil (1/4 cup), balsamic vinegar (1 1/2 tablespoons), minced garlic (2 cloves), salt (1 1/2 teaspoon), and ground black pepper (1/2 teaspoon). Add brussel sprouts, leek, and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread brussel sprouts out onto a rimmed baking sheet. You want to leave room between the brussels as we’ll be “smashing” them — you may need to spread them out onto 2 baking sheets. Use a small mason jar (or cup), to press the brussel sprouts into flat patties.
- Cover brussel sprouts in grated parmesan (1 cup). Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Recipe inspired by my Mama’s famous brussels sprouts (no holiday is complete without these!)
- To save time: Boil the brussels as you chop, mix and cook the other ingredients.
- To save carbs: leave out the leeks (although they add SO much flavor!)
- Nutritional information: nutritional information below is based on 1 serving, if you were to divide this recipe into 12 servings.