Brussels sprouts are thinly sliced into ribbons, then tossed in a scrumptious vinaigrette and paired with sweet apples and crisp almonds, for an incredible shaved Brussels sprout salad recipe! This dish is a delicious way to sneak in the green that everyone loves to hate. Here’s how to make it.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s your shredded Brussels sprout salad ingredient list, plus a few modifications if you can’t find the exact item.
- The dressing is a combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Be sure to use kosher salt, as it measures differently than table salt.
- The veggies: obviously sprouts, plus some thinly sliced shallots.
- The crunch: Slivered almonds are our favorite here. You can also use chopped Marcona almonds. As long as your almonds are roasted, they’ll be delicious.
- The sweet: matchstick sliced apples, please! If you’re looking for a bit more sweetness (and not watching your carbs), try chopped/pitted dates.
- The cheese: Manchego is my pick for this shaved Brussels sprout salad, although feta or parmesan will also work.
Can you eat raw Brussels sprouts in a salad?
Yes! Although we most often eat sauteed or roasted Brussels sprouts, they’re really delicious raw. Since this veggie is part of the cabbage family, expect a bit of crunch and a slightly bitter flavor.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
The hardest part about making this shaved Brussels sprout salad recipe is prepping your Brussels. You can always purchase them shaved (Thanks Trader Joe’s!), or, if you have 15 minutes, get to slicing:
- With a sharp knife: my preferred method for shaving Brussels sprouts is with a sharp knife and a cutting board. Simply slice the sprouts in half, then cut thin slices.
- With a mandolin: I find this takes longer, and is way easier to hurt yourself! But you can use a mandolin to shave your Brussels sprouts. Simply stab a sprout with a fork, and use it to guide the veggie through the blade. Be careful!
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Once you’ve got the veggies shredded, this shaved Brussels sprout salad recipe comes together quickly and easily, here’s how:
- Whisk your salad dressing ingredients together.
- Toss your salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dress, taste, and adjust to your liking.
- Allow the salad to rest for 30 minutes–this will give the Brussels sprout slaw some time to soften and mellow.
How to Store Leftovers
Store your leftover shredded Brussels sprout salad recipe in an airtight container in the fridge–bonus point: the firm texture of the sprouts won’t get soggy! Eat leftovers within 3-4 days.
This Brussels sprout slaw pairs beautifully with hearty proteins and grains. To name a few:
See how to make this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad on TikTok.
More Salad Recipes to Try
Brussels Sprouts SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups thinly shredded brussels sprouts about 12 oz.
- 1 tablespoon shallots minced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup manchego shredded
- 1 honey crisp apple cut into matchsticks. skin on
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Place Brussels sprouts and shallots in a large bowl and drizzle dressing on top. Toss to combine, and allow the dressing to sit on the Brussels for 15-45 minutes in the fridge, so the Brussles begin to soften and the flavors marry. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add the almonds, manchego and apple to the salad and toss to combine before serving. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- To shred the Brussels sprouts: you can either use a mandolin and a fork to shred or a sharp knife. Either way be careful!