Cream cheese and sautéed garlic, every party is better with these easy stuffed mushrooms. They’re perfect to make ahead of time and the ideal finger food. Mushrooms have never tasted so good!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Are Stuffed Mushrooms Keto? Low Carb?
These stuffed mushrooms are a great keto appetizer. There are 2 ways of making traditional stuffed mushrooms, one is with breadcrumbs, and the other is with cream cheese. If eating keto, be sure you’re reaching for the cream cheese variation!
Ingredients for Easy Stuffed Mushrooms
These stuffed mushrooms come together easily with just a few ingredients. Here’s what you should know before heading to the store:
- Cremini vs. white mushrooms – both will work here, although cremini has a much deeper flavor, and I always prefer them. Whatever you grab, be sure they’re firm and without bruising. Avoid mushrooms with slim on them.
- Cream cheese vs. dairy free – as mentioned there are a few ways to make classic stuffed mushrooms, I preferred stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese–Alternatively, you can skip the cream cheese and add 1/2 cup of panko–toss that together with everything else and fill your caps.
- Fresh vs. dry herbs – I prefer fresh for a pop of brightness in every bite. You can use dried herbs in a pinch.
Tweaks + Substitutions
You can stuff these mushrooms with just about anything for a delicious appetizer or snack. Here are some tweaks we love:
- Bacon or pancetta. Check out the filling for my stuffed mini peppers, and use it here instead.
- Or sausage. Mix browned sausage into the filling.
- Heat. Add some hot sauce or diced jalapenos.
- Herbs. Mix in your faves–think fresh thyme, oregano, rosemary, etc.
- Crunch. Dip the cream cheese in panko or crushed pork rinds for added crunch.
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese
These stuffed mushrooms are as easy to throw together as they are to eat. Just a quick saute, mix, stuff, and bake! Here are some step-by-step photos to guide you:
1. Remove mushroom stems and dice into small pieces.
2. Place caps on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Saute mushrooms stems and garlic.
4. Combine all filling ingredients together in a bowl.
5. Fill mushrooms and bake in preheated oven.
Can I Make These Ahead of Time?
Combine filling and stuff ingredients into your mushroom caps. Store in the fridge the day before you plan to bake them. Then place mushrooms on your baking sheet, and pop them into the oven right before you plan to serve them.
How do you clean mushrooms?
The best way to clean your mushrooms is with a damp paper towel, simply brush it along the surface. Mushrooms are crazy absorbent and will soak up liquid if placed in water, making them soggy when baked.
How do you prevent stuffed mushrooms from getting soggy?
Don’t rinse your mushrooms (more on that above). Another trick is to use a thicker filling, like this one. Recipes with added liquid will be absorbed by the caps as they bake.
More Ways to Love Mushrooms
Stuffed MushroomsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly parsley choped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- Preheat 350 F, option to line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Carefully remove the mushroom stems. Slice the ends off, then dice the rest into small pieces. Place mushroom caps on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the garlic and chopped mushroom stems. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir until well combined. Fill each of the caps with a generous amount of the filling. (you may have some leftovers–save it for toast!)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, you'll know they're done once the filling is heated through and the mushrooms are soft. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes: