Watch out, y’all, this low carb taco casserole is on the scene and it’s about to be a new fave for low carb dinners!
This dish is everything you love in a juicy, flavor-packed, and zesty taco, without the carbs. Baked in a casserole dish for easy meal prep, minimal work, and enough food to feed the whole fam, aren’t low carb casseroles the best that way?!
Toss your leftovers in the next morning’s scramble for a low carb breakfast casserole sure to spice things up.
Plus, this recipe is one pan, one dish, and you’re done with cleanup… I foresee every day being taco Tuesday! Let’s dive in.
There are so many reasons to love this low carb taco casserole. First off, it’s a CASSEROLE (and who doesn’t love those). Second, it’s full of taco seasoning and flavors. Best combo in the world? I think so…
- Basic ingredients – you probably have all of these on hand!
- Ready to serve in under an hour
- Fresh and delicious, with all your favorite flavors combined
This easy taco casserole comes together in the blink of an eye with minimal effort. Here are a few tips for this taco bake that’ll make the process as easy as possible:
- Low carb taco seasoning – check the packet’s nutrition label as most store-bought mixes are loaded with sugar. You can also use my keto taco seasoning recipe, which keeps the sugar out but all of the flavors in!
- Sauteing the veggies helps to mellow out their flavors and release their liquids so they don’t water down our keto tacos, don’t skip!
- Eggs are added to form a base, so don’t, this won’t taste like a breakfast casserole.
Can You Freeze This?
You can absolutely freeze this low carb taco casserole, after you bake it — Just keep off the fresh ingredients and add those after you defrost and reheat.
I like to freeze individual portions for easy to reheat meals.
Honestly, this low carb taco casserole is pretty delicious on it’s own…
BUT! You can serve it with a side of low carb taco shells like my low carb tortillas or cheese taco shells — simply scoop the casserole into either of the keto taco shells for a taco casserole with tortillas, the low carb way.
Another delicious option? Use low carb tortilla chips to scoop up this casserole — it’s a dinner, and a lunch, and a dip, YUMM!
Want to mix things up a bit? This low carb taco casserole gives you a great base to get creative with. Here are a few things you may want to try:
- Use a different kind of meat. Stay with poultry and turn this into a yummy ground chicken casserole, or try this recipe with ground beef like in my low carb cheeseburger casserole.
- Make it spicier. Add more kick to this recipe with additional cayenne, red pepper flakes or a spicy sauce!
- Add more vegetables. Spinach? Mushrooms? Kale? Saute and add in your faves. Oh! And finish the dish with a dallop of guacamole!
- Add some beans. I like adding green beans into the mix, as low carb green bean casserole cranks up the Mexican food vibes and adds a delicious crunch.
- Turn this into a low carb taco sald by allowing it to cool, then scoop it over a bed of greens.
Give me ALL the casseroles! My family and I live off them when life gets crazy… which is all the time. Here are a few more low carb casseroles you’ll love:
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Tuna Casserole
- Low Carb Squash Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Zucchini Lasagna
Low Carb Taco CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Eggs whisked
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Lbs Ground Turkey or ground beef
- 1/4 Cup Low Carb Taco Seasoning* Or a 1.3 oz packet of taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile Peppers drained
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Romain chopped
- Jalapeno sliced
- Prep. Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the veggies. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until they begin to soften about 8 minutes.
- Layer. Place onions and bell peppers in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer. Evenly pour whisked eggs over the top of the veggies.
- Cook turkey. Heat remaining veggie oil in the pan and add turkey. Break into small pieces with the back of a spoon as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink. Add diced tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and bring combo to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left. Add cooked meat to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Bake. Sprinkle cheese and olives on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing. Serve with chopped romaine lettuce, jalapenos, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes: