This keto taco casserole is everything you love in a juicy, flavor-packed, and zesty taco, just without the carbs. Baked in a casserole dish for easy meal prep, minimal work, and enough food to feed the whole fam.
Keto Taco Casserole Video Tutorial
Important Ingredient Notes
This casserole comes together with a few easy to find ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Oil – vegetable or avocado oil are best. You want something that’s mild in taste with a high smoke point
- Veggies – Onion + bell pepper
- Eggs – don’t worry, you won’t notice these are there. They bake together with the veggies to form our low carb taco casserole “crust”.
- Salt + pepper
- Turkey or ground beef – if you’re trying to eat less beef, this keto taco casserole is a great recipe to sub turkey into.
- Taco seasoning – opt for a seasoning without added sugar (or make your own, my keto taco seasoning recipe is a great option)
- Diced tomatoes with green chile peppers – not spicy, but adds tons of flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Black olives
How to Make Keto Taco Casserole:
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until they begin to soften about 8 minutes.
- Place onions and bell peppers in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer, and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper. Once veggies have cooled, pour eggs over the veggies in an even layer.
- Heat remaining veggie oil in the pan and add ground turkey. Break into small pieces with the back of a spoon as it cooks.
- Add taco seasoning and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, and water. Stir to combine and bring combo to a gentle boil.
- Spread meat evenly over the top of the eggs and veggies.
- Sprinkle cheese and olives on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with romaine lettuce, jalapenos, sliced tomatoes, and enjoy!
Top this keto taco casserole as you would a traditional taco, everything works here. Some of our faves include:
- Veggies, such as lettuce, jalapeno slices, cherry tomatoes, or avocado slices
- More cheese, we like cotija cheese
- Sour cream or crema
- Keto guacamole
- Salsa or hot sauce
Slice this casserole and serve it as-is, for an easy dinner that won’t disappoint. Serve it as a dip with my keto tortilla chips. Or scoop it into some keto tortillas or my cheese taco shells. If you’re looking for a lighter dish, allow this low carb taco casserole to cool, and serve it over a bed of lettuce for a keto taco salad. It’s flexible and delicious any way you eat it.
Use this low carb taco casserole recipe as a base, and get creative! Here are some ideas for you…
- Use a different kind of meat – Ground pork or chicken (ala ground chicken casserole) are great lean options.
- Make it spicier with additional cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or a hot sauce.
- Add your fave vegetables to the base, just saute them before (so they don’t release their liquid in the dish). Great options include spinach or mushrooms.
More Low Carb Casserole Recipes
- Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Keto Tuna Casserole
- Keto Squash Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Zucchini Lasagna
Keto Taco CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Lbs Ground Turkey or ground beef
- 1/4 Cup Keto Taco Seasoning Or a 1.3 oz packet of taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile Peppers drained
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 ounces black olives drained + sliced
- Romain chopped
- Jalapeno sliced
- cherry tomatoes halved
- Prep. Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the veggies. Heat oil (1 tablespoon) in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion (1 diced) and bell pepper (1 diced) and saute until they begin to soften about 8 minutes. Place onions and bell peppers in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer, and set aside to cool.
- Whisk. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs (4), salt (1 teaspoon), and pepper (1/2 teaspoon). Once veggies have cooled, pour eggs over the veggies in an even layer.
- Cook turkey. Heat remaining veggie oil in the pan and add ground turkey (2 Lbs). Break into small pieces with the back of a spoon as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce can]), and water (1/2 cup). Stir to combine and bring combo to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking (each taco seasoning has a different amount of salt!). Spread meat evenly over the top of the eggs and veggies.
- Bake. Sprinkle cheese (2 cups) and olives (2 ounces) on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing. Serve with romaine lettuce, jalapenos, sliced tomatoes, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice, if you cut this casserole into 8 slices: