Keto scalloped potatoes ❤️ a medley of “potatoes”, bubblin’ cheese, heavy cream, and spices. The best potato dish at the table… even though it’s completely potato-free.
Best Potato Dish at the Table.
Few things in life go together as well as cheese and potatoes. Other than cheese and “potatoes”. Especially when that cheese bakes into a melty golden crust and those potatoes are doused in silky cream. It’s heaven in a scoop. And it deserves — wait, let me try that again — you deserve to add this to the Thanksgiving menu.
Growing up, my Mom’s scalloped potatoes were a holiday must. Now, we make these low carb scalloped potatoes instead. The only difference? We use turnips instead of potatoes. And with that simple swap, we wash our hands clean of countless carbs. Same flavor. Same texture. So what’s stopping you?!
If your fear of the mandoline is holding you back, I HEAR YOU. A sharp knife and some careful cutting will do. Like I said, you deserve this casserole. Let’s review: Melty cheese. Silky cream. Warm. Comforting. Low carb. (Also, can someone please invent a mandoline that doesn’t make me fear for my life?!) Enjoy! 😂❤️ – Linds x
The Best Keto Scalloped Potatoes Video Tutorial
This ingredient list may look simple, but it’s all you need for the best scalloped potatoes:
- Turnips – peeled + sliced 1/8″ thick. To peel, cut off the top and bottom with a sharp knife, then use a veggie peeler to remove the skin. To slice, use a mandoline, or a sharp knife and careful cut. The key is to get the slices the same thickness is important.
- Garlic – We “paint” the casserole dish with sliced garlic to infuse flavor throughout.
- Heavy cream
- Spices: Nutmeg, salt + pepper
- Gruyere – this Swiss cheese is crazy meltable, making our low carb scalloped potatoes extra gooey.
Storing + Reheating Tips
Store any leftovers you have in an airtight container in the fridge. This quick and easy scalloped potatoes recipe reheats well in the microwave or toaster oven.
- Add bacon, because it’s never a bad idea. If making scalloped potatoes with bacon, cook, crispy and crumble before adding it in.
- Or make low carb scalloped potatoes with ham, but using cooked and diced ham.
- Add more/different keto cheese – such as parmesan on top for a crunchy layer.
- Add other keto vegetables. Maybe some kale? Mushrooms? Onions?
More Fall Side Dishes
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Keto Butternut Squash Soup
- Cauliflower Stuffing
Low Carb Keto Scalloped PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 pounds Turnips peeled + sliced 1/8" thick
- 2 cloves Garlic cut in half
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4-5 Ounces Gruyere Shredded
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F. Rub the sliced garlic along the inside of an 9x13 baking dish and set aside. Leave garlic halves inside the baking dish. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and set aside.
- Simmer + combine. In a saucepan over medium heat, add the heavy cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and whisk until sauce starts to simmer. Place sliced turnips in a large bowl and pour heavy cream sauce over the top.
- Bake. Pour turnips and sauce into the prepared baking dish, arranging turnips so they're evenly spread throughout the pan. Pour any additional sauce over the top. Sprinkle with shredded gruyere. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the top of the gruyere is golden, and the turnips are fork-tender.