This oven roasted zucchini is summer at its finest. Super simple zucchini medallions get tossed in olive oil, herbs, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It doesn’t get any better—or any easier—than this.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
It’s so tasty, and also much more versatile than you might think. It makes a great side dish or easy afternoon snack. I also love to top this off with my favorite pasta sauces for a carb free, but fully satisfying supper.
All you need is 10 minutes. And don’t skip the broil at the end—it crisps up the parmesan and takes this combination of simple ingredients to the next level. It’s a great way to eat more veggies and make the most of summer bounty.
I’ll bet that after you make it a few times, you won’t even need to check the recipe. How great is that!? Simple and delicious—like summer should be! – Linds x
How to Make Oven Roasted Zucchini
Unlike other squash varieties, zucchini is easy to prep–just slice! (See my roasted acorn squash to see what I mean). Here’s your step-by-step guide:
1. Slice your zucchini into 1/2″ thick pieces. I like to use a mandolin here.
2. Toss the slices in a bowl with oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
3. Spread the zucchini onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Sprinkle the tops with parmesan. Bake zucchini in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then crank your oven up to broil. Watch carefully and pull as soon as the tops become golden and the center is tender — should be about 3 minutes.
What To Serve With Roasted Zucchini
This roasted zucchini recipe is one of those side dishes that work with any protein. We love to plate it with salmon, chicken, or shrimp, for a light dinner.
How Do You Keep Zucchini From Getting Soggy?
There’s a fine line between soft and soggy zucchini. Here’s how to never cross it:
- Bake at high temperatures – this allows you to cook the oven roasted zucchini quickly, rather than a low and slow process.
- Space out your slices, so their natural liquid releases and evaporates instead of steaming the rest of the pan.
- Broil at the end, to prevent overcooking, and crisp the cheese on top.
- Eat it while it’s fresh! Reheated zucchini will be more soggy.
What to do with Leftovers?
Zucchini will get soggy when stored in the refrigerator, but we still love it as a side. Simply stash this oven roasted zucchini in an airtight container, and reheat it in the microwave, or (slightly) re-crisp the cheese in the oven.
- Switch up the spice mix for a totally different flavor. Taco seasoning, garlic powder, or even fresh herbs.
- Mix in other roasted vegetables like yellow squash (summer squash) for a similar taste, roasted asparagus, roasted bell peppers, etc.
- Use another type of cheese – sprinkle crumbled feta or even goat cheese on top after baking.
- Make zucchini spears for something a little different.
More Zucchini Recipes
Oven Roasted ZucchiniPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 zucchinis cut into 1/2" thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and position the top rack in the center of your oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini slices, olive oil, (1 tablespoon) Italian seasoning (1/2 teaspoon), salt (3/4 teaspoon) & pepper (1/2 teaspoon) using your hands until the zucchini is evenly coated.
- Place in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese (1/3 cup), and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn oven broiler to high, and broil the zucchini until the tops become slightly crisp and golden, should be about 3 minutes. Enjoy!