It’s exactly what it sounds like. A veggie based snack that gets crispy, cheesy, and piled high with zesty beef…or as many other toppings as you like. Zucchini nachos can be a quick snack or a treat for a lazy day. A meal for two or an ice-breaking appetizer.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
When it rains, it pours. And this is one of my favorite ways to use zucchini when it’s in season. A quick bake without the toppings draws out some of the moisture and makes the zucchini slices sturdy enough to become nachos.
Top with whatever you like. After all, we started with a vegetable here! So these are still virtuous nachos—no matter what you pile on! Just be sure to finish with a layer of cheese so that it gets maximum exposure to the broiler, and you get the maximum amount of cheesy goodness.
It may be a standard vegetable, but this is not your average nacho. 😇 – Linds x
Topping Your Keto Nachos
Top your zucchini nachos with whatever you’re craving. In the video, I went with classic nacho toppings, but have also tried buffalo chicken nachos and pizza nachos. Here are some ideas for you:
- Meat: ground beef, turkey, or shredded chicken.
- Cheese: any meltable variety will work, cheddar, pepper jack, Mexican blend.
- Sauces/spreads: salsa, pico, sour cream, or keto guacamole.
- Extras: jalapeno and cilantro
- If you aren’t watching your carbs: corn or beans
How to Make Zucchini Nachos (+ Hot Tips!)
- Slice your zucchini, I like a madonolin for this to ensure even slices
- Spread out in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake until slightly soft. Don’t skip the prebake! Xucchinis are 94% water, this will help our veggies to release a bit of that.
- Add toppings to the zucchini nachos, then return to the oven.
- Remove from the oven, and add fesh herbs, avocado, gucamole or salsa.
Storing + Reheating
As most nachos, these zucchini nachos are best served immediately. If you do have leftovers, reheat in the oven to re-crisp and melt your cheese — keep in mind, when stored, the zucchini will release liquid which you’ll want to remove before diving in.
These baked zucchini nacho chips are easy to adjust to suit your cravings. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Switch up the toppings (suggestions above!)
- Use different “chips”, such as roasted cauliflower florets or mini bell peppers. You can also use my keto tortilla chips or keto tortillas for something more traditional.
- Slice/spiralize/shred the zucchini – There are so many ways to slice a zucchini–from zucchini lasagna noodles to zucchini fries–slice your nachos anyway you’d like.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Zucchini NachosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Large Zucchini (note 1)
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado or vegetable oil
- Kosher Salt
Toppings (Choose your faves!):
- Buffalo chicken nachos (see note 2)
- keto carnitas
- Cheese: cotija, cheddar, pepper jack shredded
- Herbs: scallions or cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Prep. Preheat oven to 400 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chips. Cut zucchinis into 1/2" slices and toss in vegetable oil (1 tablespoon). Lay zucchini slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes (this will slightly cook the veggies, but still allow them to be sturdy enough to scoop up the toppings). Remove pan, and crank the oven up to broil.
- Toppings. Cover zucchini chips with your chosen nacho toppings. Make sure to add the cheese last so it melts on top, and wait to add the fresh herbs. Broil your nachos for about 5 minutes -- watch carefully here, you just want the cheese to melt.
- Serve + enjoy! Remove from oven and top with fresh herbs and avocado. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Zucchini - you can use summer squash as well. Other veggies that make great nachos (but cook times will vary) include cauliflower steaks, bell peppers, or eggplant slices.
- Buffalo chicken nacho toppings: (original recipe posting)
- Ingredients: softened Frank's shredded