This zucchini nachos recipe is the PERFECT lazy night meal, that’s so jam-packed with flavor, it tastes like you spent hours preparing it…
Truth! Because low carb nachos are amazing, but making low carb tortilla chips, AND all those toppings takes a lot of time. Instead, make this meal for low carb dinners so you can sneak in an extra serving of veggies. With minimal effort!
Plus! The buffalo chicken salad toppings are a delicious way to spice up your Mexican food low carb recipes.
Zucchini recipes season is upon us! Let’s capitalize and make some dang nachos!
EVERYTHING! But I know that doesn’t answer your question. So, to be more specific, what I love about this zucchini nachos recipes is that:
- There’s only 15 minutes of prep involved. Wahoo!
- SO. MUCH. FLAVOR! Traditional nachos are great and all… but this buffalo chicken variation has hot sauce, cream cheese, AND blue cheese. Take that low carb taco seasoning!
- PLUS! You get to sneak in some veggies, which let’s be honest, isn’t always that easy to do.
- Makes great meal prep — make this dish and have lunch ready for the next few days! (If you can resist not eating it all in one sitting…)
Keto nachos are a breeeeze when you use veggies. Here’s everything you need to know about this zucchini nachos recipes:
Zucchini – you want a thick zucchini so your zucchini chips are large enough to cover with toppings.
Chicken – you could get fancy with something like Mexican chicken here, but I like to use leftovers or pre-cooked chicken to save time. (Remember, this is one of my favorite LAZY meals!)
For the quickest and easiest chicken, try poaching it.
Cheese – For traditional buffalo chicken, I love a combo of cream cheese, cheddar, and blue cheese. You can swap or omit the low carb cheese to your taste.
Toppings – I typically keep it simple here, as there’s SO much flavor in the few ingredients we’ll be using. Feel free to add more low carb vegetables if that’s what you’d like.
Tools To Make
All you’ll need to make these zucchini nachos are 2 rimmed baking sheets (Important! Zucchini releases a lot of water as it bakes), parchment paper, a cutting board, and a knife. Easy, I told you!
A few important things to mention about these zucchini nachos before you dive in:
- Baking the zucchini before helps to release some of the liquid from this water-packed veggie (zucchinis are 94% water!), while softening the slices slightly. You don’t want the zucchini too soft — that will make the nachos hard to pick up by hand. I found a 5-minute prebake did the trick.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened, otherwise it’ll be nearly impossible to combine. I soften mine in the microwave using 20-second intervals.
As mentioned, these zucchini nachos make for EPIC low carb appetizers, lunches, and dinners. Really, there’s never a bad time to eat and/or serve them!
I like to serve my nachos with blue cheese crumbles, avocado slices, green onions, cilantro, and additional hot sauce on top. You can get fancy with guacamole or avocado salsa instead. Do you, and let me know what you tried in the comments below!
This zucchini nachos recipe is easy to adjust to suit your cravings. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Slice/spiralize/chop the zucchini however you’d like. You can get funky and serve this dish over zucchini noodles, zucchini fries, or make zucchini boats and stuff them with filling! You can even turn this dish into a zucchini lasagna by layering long thin strips.
- Craving something a bit more traditional? Stuff the filling in low carb tortillas instead, and enjoy them for tacos. My almond flour tortillas are perfect for this task.
- Switch up the sauce. If you aren’t a fan of spicey you can always get creative with a different sauce. Try pico de gallo instead of hot sauce, or enchilada sauce for zucchini enchiladas.
- Turn this into a salad instead. Use these toppings, skip the zucchini, and serve them over a bed of lettuce. They make for a delicious low carb taco salad!
- Add your favorite toppings. Go with traditional nachos by using taco seasoning and ground meat, or add your own flair!
Can’t get enough of all the incredibly delicious easy appetizers?! ME NEITHER! Here are a few more recipes to try:
Zucchini NachosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Large Zucchini (note 1)
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado or vegetable oil
- Kosher Salt
Toppings (Choose your faves!):
- Buffalo chicken nachos (see note 2)
- keto carnitas
- Cheese: cotija, cheddar, pepper jack shredded
- Herbs: scallions or cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Prep. Preheat oven to 400 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chips. Cut zucchinis into 1/2" slices and toss in vegetable oil (1 tablespoon). Lay zucchini slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes (this will slightly cook the veggies, but still allow them to be sturdy enough to scoop up the toppings). Remove pan, and crank the oven up to broil.
- Toppings. Cover zucchini chips with your chosen nacho toppings. Make sure to add the cheese last so it melts on top, and wait to add the fresh herbs. Broil your nachos for about 5 minutes -- watch carefully here, you just want the cheese to melt.
- Serve + enjoy! Remove from oven and top with fresh herbs and avocado. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Zucchini - you can use summer squash as well. Other veggies that make great nachos (but cook times will vary) include cauliflower steaks, bell peppers, or eggplant slices.
- Buffalo chicken nacho toppings: (original recipe posting)
- Ingredients: softened Frank's shredded