This crispy eggplant chips recipe is what snack dreams of made of!
Seriously friends, add them to your low carb snacks list — no one has to know they’re low in carbs but you! These low carb chips are literally baked chips made from vegetables but they legit taste like potato chips! Take that zucchini chips!
I’ll share a simple (salt and pepper) low carb recipes version or a zesty and delicious BBQ seasoning one!
Either way, you’ll love these veggie chips. Let’s dive in!
Here are a few reasons why I can’t get enough of this eggplant chips recipe:
- You can make fresh, healthy chips in under 30 minutes!
- These are really just a crazy healthy version of potato chips but instead of carb-packed potatoes, they’re made with baked veggies! Score!
- You get that addicting mix of salty, crunchy, smoky (if you make the BBQ version), savory!
- They’re low in carbs and calories.
- These are paleo, vegan and keto friendly, low carb and absolutely divine!
Keep reading to get the scoop on how to make this bomb eggplant chips recipe!
These savory chips satisfy your junk food cravings in a much healthier way! Just know that because they are homemade baked veggie chips, they will not have the exact consistency as the fried ones from the grocery store. I personally think these are better though!
Here’s everything you need to make this snack:
Chinese Eggplants are thinner, have thinner skin, and are less bitter than regular eggplants.
FUN FACT: one cup of cubed eggplant racks up only 20 calories, 4.8 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber to fill you up!
Oil – you’ll want coat your chips in a mild tasting oil — I love avocado oil for this! Coconut and olive have loads of flavor, but if that’s the combo you’re looking for, then by all means!
BBQ Seasoning (optional) – to make our BBQ seasoning, we’ll sprinkle paprika, chili powder, garlic, S+P, and sweetener.
To keep it low carb, I opt for erythritol, which is a diabetic-friendly sugar alcohol. You can also use honey too if it works within your dietary guidelines.
Tools To Make
Here is what you’ll need to whip this eggplant chips recipe together:
- Mandolin or sharp knife: for slicing up the eggplant. The thinner you cut your eggplant, the crispier your chips! Mandolin is highly recommended here.
- Paper towels/ napkins to absorb the eggplant’s natural water after sweating them (which is what we’re doing when we sprinkle them with salt). Don’t skip this step, as it brings the natural moisture from the veggie to the surface so they can crisp as much as possible!
- Baking sheet lined with parchment or with a silicone baking mat: for baking the eggplant chips in the oven
This eggplant chips recipe is best eaten fresh outta the oven.
However, when I have leftovers, I store these crispy eggplant chips in the fridge for a couple of days in a Tupperware or sealed Ziplock bag. You can bring them back to their crispness by reheating them in the oven at 325 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
These are great snacks on their own, or served with dip!
Here are a couple of other ideas on how to switch this recipe up a bit:
- Get creative with the spices, or keep them plain. Cajun seasoning, low carb taco seasoning, or Italian seasoning are all awesome ideas.
- Add some freshly grated parm. Parmesan will crisp up as it bakes (check out my parmesan crisps to see what I mean!), making these chips even crispier.
- Bake more veggie chips while you’re at it! Kale chips, zucchini chips, cauliflower chips all use the same concept. Now toss them in oil, sprinkle with salt, bake, and your work is done!
Eggplant ChipsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Chinese Eggplants 3" thick
- 2 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below) if not low carb, you can use 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Chili
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the eggplant using a mandolin, or as thinly and evenly as possible using a sharp knife - slices should be around 1/8" thick.
- Toss eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow the eggplant to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse off with water.
- Place eggplant in paper towels and gently dab off water.
- Place as a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil and seasoning (either BBQ or plain) together.
- Use a brush to brush the top of the eggplant slices in seasoning.
- Bake eggplant in preheated oven until the edges are slightly crispy, about 16-20 minutes. Keep in mind, the chips will continue to crisp as they cool. If they are too soft after 10 minutes, place them back in the oven until crisped to your liking. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Can’t get enough of the salty crunchy stuff? Here are a few more recipes you may love:
- Fathead Crackers. These slice and back crackers are addicting!
- Low Carb Crackers. My favorite, legit, crispy, low carb cracker recipe.
- Cheese Crackers. Cheese crisps as it bakes!
- Flax Seed Crackers. Another incredibly crunchy treat.
- Low Carb Graham Crackers. Ok, more of a dessert, but these are my fave!
Make this eggplant chips recipe as an after school/work snack, a side for a party or as a late night treat! However you decide to make them, let me know how they turned out in the comment section below! I love to hear from you!