This keto goulash is comfort in a bowl: warm, saucy, hearty, keto “pasta”. Baked together with meat, veggies, and a tomato-y broth. Doused in herbs and spices. Covered in cheese. Without carbs. That’s right, it’s perfection.
What I Love About This Keto Goulash
Two words: comfort food. This low carb goulash recipe has all the makings of a family tradition, plus:
- Inexpensive, easy to find ingredients!
- Ready in 45 minutes! BONUS, most of that time is just letting this goulash simmer and marinate on the stove!
- So customizable – the base flavors are classic and delicious, so add in spices you love or take out some you don’t!
These are all basic kitchen staples, but let’s get a little background on these familiar foods!
Meat – this low carb ground beef recipes main ingredient is (you guessed it) ground beef! BUT, you can swap it out for ground turkey, ground pork, or even a mild ground sausage.
Sauce – We’re essentially making our own keto spaghetti sauce in this recipe by simmering tomatoes, onions, and herbs. Here’s where you can get creative and add your own flavor!
Noodles – there are so many keto vegetables that make for delicious noodle options, but for this dish, my FAVORITE are cabbage noodles. Their texture is perfect for this goulash, and their flavor is mild and slightly sweet.
Tools To Make
This easy dish uses two core kitchen tools. If you don’t already have them, consider getting them to make your kitchen adventures a little easier.
- Chef’s Knife – you want a good, sharp knife for slicing and mincing your veggies. Did you know that you’re more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one?
- Dutch oven – this heavy, ceramic or cast iron dish is a workhorse. Bake bread in it, make desserts or dinners or broths in it. They can do everything, and they can go from stovetop to oven – making them indispensable.
Store keto goulash leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container, keeping the cheese separate. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave, top with fresh cheese, and you have a heavenly meal ready in minutes!
Bonus points: this is a great freezer meal!
This classic dish already has a few twists added to make it low carb. It can take some more tweaks:
- Switch up the noodles. You can use almond flour pasta, spiralized veggies like zucchini (check out my keto zucchini lasagna for tips), or even sliced veggies.
- Get creative with your sauce by adding in different herbs, spices, and veggies. This is also where most of the carbs in this dish come from, so consider moving things around to meet your nutrition goals.
More Low Carb Pasta Recipes
Low Carb Keto GoulashPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- 1 Yellow Onion large
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 - 15 Ounce Can of Tomato Sauce canned
- 1 - 14.5 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes canned
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 10 Ounces Cabbage shredded
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded, (optional, use for the topping)
- In a large dutch oven, cook meat (2 Pounds) over medium heat, breaking it into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cook. Cook until no longer any pink.
- Stir in yellow onion (1) and minced garlic (4 cloves) and cook until onions are translucent - about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce (1-15 Ounce Can), diced tomatoes (1-14.5 Ounce Can), soy sauce (1 1/2 tablespoons), oregano (2 tablespoons), basil (2 teaspoons), bay leaves (2), seasoned salt (1 tablespoon) and black pepper (1/2 teaspoon).
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shredded cabbage (10 Ounces), and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes (for more crunchy texture) to 10 minutes (for softer texture).
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and refrigerate, if possible, overnight.
- If serving right away, you can sprinkle with cheese and melt in the oven for a few minutes! (I put the oven to broil and cooked for 6 minutes, until the cheese just starts to brown around the edges). Serve warm, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Meat. You can use ground turkey instead of beef, simply add 1 tablespoon of mild-tasting oil to the pan to cook it.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 6 servings, and includes the cheese topping: