This keto goulash is comfort in a bowl–warm, saucy, hearty, keto pasta, baked together with meat, veggies, and a tomato-y broth. Doused in herbs and spices. Covered in cheese. Without carbs. That’s right, it’s perfection.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Goulash
Two words: comfort food. This keto goulash recipe has all the makings of a family tradition, plus:
- Inexpensive, easy-to-find ingredients.
- Ready in 45 minutes – BONUS, most of that time is just letting this goulash simmer and marinate on the stove.
- So customizable – the base flavors are classic and delicious, so add in spices you love or take out some you don’t.
What’s in Keto Goulash
Here’s what to gather before making this goulash, and some tips to keep in mind:
- The meat – opt for high fat content (80/20) beef for super tender meat with every bite.
- The sauce – We’re essentially making our own keto spaghetti sauce by simmering tomatoes, onions, and herbs. (Psst–Here’s where you can get creative and add your own flavor, tips below…)
- The noodles – of all the keto vegetables that make for delicious noodles, shredded cabbage is my favorite here–they’ve got just the right texture and a mild and slightly sweet flavor.
How to Customize This Recipe
This classic dish already has a few twists to make it low carb. It can take some more tweaks if that’s what you’re craving, here are some ideas for you:
- Different protein? This is a great recipe to substitute ground turkey for beef–You can also use ground pork or chicken. Try to use high fat content meat if possible.
- Switch up the noodles. You can use almond flour pasta, spiralized veggies like zucchini noodles or butternut squash noodles, or roasted veggies like spaghetti squash. I don’t suggest shirataki noodles here.
- Get creative with your sauce by adding different herbs, spices, and veggies. This is also where most of the carbs in this dish come from, so consider moving things around to meet your nutrition goals.
How to Make Keto Goulash
This dish comes together quickly and easily. Here’s how to make it perfectly every time:
1. Meat + veggies. Brown the meat until fully cooked through. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are soft.
2. Make the sauce by adding all remaining ingredients except the cabbage and cheddar. Simmer until the keto goulash sauce thickens.
3. Add the noodles and allow them to soften to your liking. Cover your keto casserole with cheese and allow the cheese to melt in the oven under the broiler.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Tips
Keto dinners like this goulash make for delicious meal prep. Here’s how to make the most out of your leftovers:
- Store leftover keto goulash leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container, keeping the cheese separate.
- Freeze in an airtight container, with as much air removed as possible. It does OK in the freezer but is definitely best enjoyed fresh.
- Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave, top with fresh cheese, and you have a heavenly meal ready in minutes!
More Keto Pasta Recipes
Low Carb Keto GoulashPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- 1 Yellow Onion large
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 – 15 Ounce Can of Tomato Sauce canned
- 1 – 14.5 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes canned
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 10 Ounces Cabbage shredded
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded, (optional, use for the topping)
- In a large dutch oven, cook meat (2 Pounds) over medium heat, breaking it into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cook. Cook until no longer any pink.
- Stir in yellow onion (1) and minced garlic (4 cloves) and cook until onions are translucent – about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce (1-15 Ounce Can), diced tomatoes (1-14.5 Ounce Can), soy sauce (1 1/2 tablespoons), oregano (2 tablespoons), basil (2 teaspoons), bay leaves (2), seasoned salt (1 tablespoon) and black pepper (1/2 teaspoon).
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shredded cabbage (10 Ounces), and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes (for more crunchy texture) to 10 minutes (for softer texture).
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaves. Turn oven to broil and sprinkle cheese on top. Continue to cook until the cheese melts, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Meat. You can use ground turkey instead of beef, simply add 1 tablespoon of mild-tasting oil to the pan to cook it.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 6 servings, and includes the cheese topping: