I have to tell you guys, this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken is a meal that both adult-me and inner-child-me can appreciate.
Because even though this stuffed chicken breast is loaded with veggies and lean protein, it also oozes cheesy goodness and FLAVOR! The chicken is crazy moist, and the veggies are perfectly spiced.
Similar to my stuffed chicken parmesan and cream cheese stuffed chicken this is one of those amazing low carb chicken recipes that has all of the yummy, comforting, scrumptious flavors we crave, but it’s pretty enough to serve at a dinner party!
Enough talking, let’s dive in!
Looking for more keto chicken recipes? Check out my cream cheese stuffed chicken, asparagus stuffed chicken, or my keto chicken curry.
What I Love About This Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
This mouth-watering recipe is going to be an instant fave. Easy, cheesy, and good for you to boot. Here’s what to expect:
- 4 ingredients (+ spices)
- Ready in under 1 hour
- Juicy + cheesy
Tips + Tricks
Here are the few tips and tricks you’ll need to become a stuffed chicken breast master:
- If creating a pocket is too difficult, consider butterflying the chicken and using toothpicks to keep the breast together.
- Sear then bake the broccoli chicken – this will give our chicken a better texture (slightly crisp on the outside, fully cooked on the inside). Make sure your chicken is cooked to 165 F – I find the easiest way to do this is with a meat thermometer.
- Let your chicken rest once it comes out of the oven! This is important with any baked stuffed chicken breast. Otherwise, your first slice will release all the juices from the chicken, leaving you with a suuuper dry piece of meat.
This dish is best served immediately. As with most chicken recipes, this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken tends to dry out when you reheat it.
My suggestion? Only bake what you plan to eat in one sitting. You can make the filling, stuff, and sear all the breasts, store them in the fridge, and bake when you’re ready to eat.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! Although, I recommend freezing the chicken raw (again, to prevent the cooked chicken from drying out).
This broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken goes marvelously with all your favorites sides. Think:
- Rice, quinoa, or low carb rice such as broccoli rice.
- Veggies, greens, and keto salads.
Like many classics, this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken is great as is, but if you’re feeling creative, here are a few interesting spins and substitutions for you to consider:
- Add bacon. I don’t know if I can imagine a more heavenly dish than this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken wrapped tightly in bacon! If you decide to make bacon wrapped stuffed chicken, I strongly suggest precooking the bacon (halfway), so it creates a crisper crust.
- Swap broccoli for your fave cooked veggies — Just be sure to measure them, and add only 2 cups.
- Get funky with the seasoning. Italian seasoning cajun seasoning, or even taco seasoning (Ala fajita stuffed chicken!). You can mix it into the filling, or press to adhere it to the breasts.
- Use a different type of cheese. Simply swap the cheese in the recipe below. From gooey mozzarella stuffed chicken to parmesan, to pepper jack.
- Add some protein to the filling, like in my pizza chicken roll ups.
More Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy, healthy, and LOW CARB chicken recipes?! I’ve got a bunch for you:
- Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Salsa Verde Stuffed Peppers Without Rice
- Pesto Chicken Salad
- Keto Fried Chicken
- Chicken Crust Pizza
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt divided
- 4 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Steam broccoli. Break broccoli into bite-sized pieces and place them in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. Cover pot with a lid and steam until the broccoli is cooked through and vibrant green -- about 5 minutes. Remove lid, and allow any excess water to drain from the broccoli.
- Make filling. In a small bowl, combine broccoli (2 cups), cheese (1 cup), sour cream (1/2 cup), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon) and salt (1/2 teaspoon).
- Season chicken. Dab the chicken breast (4 breasts) dry with paper towels, and season each side with the remaining salt (1 teaspoon) and pepper (1/2 teaspoon). Press seasoning in with your fingertips to adhere.
- Form pocket. Slice each chicken breast to form a “pocket”. I find the easiest way to do this is by inserting a sharp knife into the center of the thick part of the chicken first. Alternatively, you can butterfly the chicken.
- Stuff the breasts. Add a scoop of the broccoli cheddar filling into each of the chicken pockets. Fold the top of the chicken over the filling. (You can use a toothpick to close the pocket and prevent the filling from falling out as it cooks.)
- Sear. Add vegetable oil ( 2 tablespoons) to a large nonstick and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts, making sure to not overcrowd the pan, if your pan can't accommodate all the chicken, sear in batches. Sear on each side for 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan. Cook until chicken is cooked through, and the internal temp reaches 165 F -- the time on this will depend on how thick your chicken is. (I used a thick chicken breast which cooked in 12 minutes.). Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information is for 1 chicken breast if you make 4 using this recipe: