When it comes to melt-in-your-mouth low carb dinners, this asparagus stuffed chicken wins the show! With low carb chicken recipes, you look for specially curated ingredients to make the dish come together memorably, and this one gets it all right.
Oooey and gooey melty cheese, soft prosciutto, and crisp asparagus come together to make this stuffed chicken breast a stand out in low carb dinners. This is one of those low carb recipes you’ll want to make double of, so you can have leftovers all week… it really is that fabulous!
Let’s get started!
This asparagus stuffed chicken recipe is a masterful combo of flavors and textures, plus:
- 5, count ‘em, FIVE, main ingredients, plus a few spices. AND, you probably have em all already!
- Ready in exactly 1 hour!
- Addictive cheesy, lemony goodness that tastes both homey and high-end!
The finished dish comes off super fancy, but it’s deceptively easy to make!
A few tips on the ingredients:
Asparagus spears – this vegetable is packed with folate and fiber and has a wonderful crunch. The bottom part of the stalk can be tough, so you want just the tender top part. To find this, hold an asparagus stalk by the very ends in both hands. Gently bend – the asparagus will break right where it starts to get tough! Discard the end and add the tops to your dish.
Proscuitto – this thin, buttery meat comes from highly salted boar thigh. It’s a perfect partner to veggies and cheeses, which is why it shines in this cheese and asparagus stuffed chicken. You can find it in the deli section of your grocery store.
Tools To Make
- Zester – this fine grater lets you remove the colorful part of a citrus rind, which has all sorts of smell and flavor to add to dishes like this one. You can buy a separate zesting tool, or you can use a fine cheese grater. You may also want a cutting glove to protect your tender finger ends.
- An oven-safe skillet – look for a skillet that doesn’t have any plastic on it, so you can use just one dish for this asparagus stuffed chicken recipe. Cast iron is best. It’s classic and super versatile, plus it adds extra iron minerals to your food – bonus!
I can almost promise you won’t have any of my asparagus stuffed chicken leftover, but if you do, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, oven or toaster oven, and you have an amazing dinner at your fingertips!
Can You Freeze This?
Sure can! After cooking, store in an airtight container in the fridge. Once it has cooled, place each breast in a labeled resealable bag, release as much air from the bag as possible, and toss them in the freezer.
Thaw in the fridge, then reheat in the oven or toaster oven, or the microwave for an even faster meal.
Meal Prepping Tips
When you are looking for quick and healthy dinners, this asparagus stuffed chicken is just what you need!
This recipe makes 4 easy to measure portions – simply store each in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to eat. This dish is full of protein and fat with VERY low carbs, so it’s perfect for keto meal prepping.
Looking to make this recipe more your own? Look no further – I’m here to help!
Can I Use Bacon Instead Of Proscuitto?
Bacon and prosciutto are both pork products, with a few small differences…
Bacon is raw and needs to be fully cooked. It’s also smoked and comes from pork belly. Whereas prosciutto doesn’t need to be cooked and is from the pig leg. It’s cured for a VERY long time, then VERY thinly cut, giving it its distinct flavor and texture.
I LOVE prosciutto in this dish, as it plays well with the lemon and asparagus. The thin slices also give room for the other ingredients to shine!
Of course, you can never go wrong with making this asparagus stuffed chicken wrapped in BACON! Or, try this bacon wrapped stuffed chicken for another protein back and scrumptious dinner.
Can I Use Different Types Of Cheese?
You can use lots of varieties of cheese in this asparagus stuffed chicken, but one of the main things you’re looking for is a punch of salt and flavor. Feel free to switch up the swiss for feta, gouda or provolone.
Can I Add More Greens?
You could do lots of fun variations with veggies on this dish, like swapping asparagus for green beans, artichokes or swiss chard.
Can I Use Different Chicken Cuts?
Of course! I prefer chicken breast as there’s more room to stuff your chicken.
However, chicken thighs are MUCH more flavorful! And make for delicious stuffed chicken thighs, if that’s what you prefer.
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breast
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 4 Slices Swiss
- 4 Slices Proscuitto
- 16 Asparagus Spears
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pat the chicken dry.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken -- I find this is easiest to do but placing a hand over the top of the chicken breast and carefully using a sharp knife to cut into the center of the breast. Try not to pierce through to the other side. (Alternatively, you can butterfly the chicken and use toothpicks to hold it together!)
- Sprinkle the inside of each chicken breast with lemon zest.
- Layer a slice of cheese, then prosciutto, then 3-4 asparagus spears (depending on the size of your chicken) on one side of each breast.
- Fold the other side of your breast over the filling.
- Sprinkle the top of each breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Press it into the top to adhere.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once shimmering, add the breasts, making sure there is plenty of space between each (If you don't have a large skillet, do this in batches).
- Sear each side for 3-5 minutes, you'll know it's done once they're easy to flip and they have a golden sear.
- Place skillet in the preheated oven and continue to bake for 20 minutes, you'll know the chicken is done once the internal temp of the breasts has reached 165 F.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
I know healthy chicken recipes are the bedrock of my meal planning. If you want even more creative options, take a look here:
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken. All the zesty flavors of Mexican food stuffed inside a chicken breast!
- Lasagna Stuffed Chicken. You guys LOVE this one!!
- Stuffed Chicken Breast with Stuffing. The best use of Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken. Creamy, cheesy GOODNESS!
- Italian Stuffed Chicken Breast. Can’t go wrong with this classic!
You’re going to LOVE the flavors in this asparagus stuffed chicken. Comment below and let me know what you think! What’s your favorite side dish to serve with this tasty meal?