Sass up your appetizer game with this delish homemade low carb onion rings recipe. Low carb recipes can be lame but this one is far from it!
Whether you’re on the hunt for low carb appetizers, low carb side dishes, or low carb snacks, this recipe slays them all! There’s nothing quite like fresh crispy onion rings.
Make drive-through trips a thing of the past and opt to whip these babies up from the comfort of home instead. They’re healthier, totally addicting, an absolute crowd pleaser and keto friendly!
Don’t be surprised when these instantly disappear from the serving plate!
Here’s why you need to make this low carb onion rings recipe for your next get together:
- 15 minutes are all you need for yummy homemade onion rings!
- Crazy wallet-friendly! The ingredients are minimal and cheap!
- They’re fried, crispy, AND coated in parmesan cheese! Need I say more?!
- The ideal summer side dish, topped on a steak/salad or eaten alone!
- Use ketchup or any one of your go-to dips! I love to make a spicy low carb mayo and Sriracha dip!
Here’s everything you’ll need to know to make this onion rings recipe:
Traditional onion rings leave a lot to be desired (health-wise that is), I’m looking at you high carb flour batter dipped in Canola/Soybean oil. We flipped this recipe on its back and replaced the carb-loaded batter with a low carb coating.
Let’s talk onion carbs real quick: one large onion as called for in this recipe, only racks in 14 grams of carbs in the whole onion! That’s what I’m talkin’ about!
You’re most likely already familiar with this recipe’s ingredients but here’s a couple you may want to know more about:
Instead, whey puffs up and emulates traditional flour like nothing else can.
Xanthan gum: Popular low carb food additive that’s used as a binder to keep the coating ingredients together.
Soda water or sparkling water: I’m sure you know what this is but did you know that it’s the SECRET ingredient to getting the ultimate airy onion ring crust and the most DELISH light, crispy batter?!
Oil: I’ve received a lot of emails about vegetable oil not being keto — the thing is, all oils are low in carbs, but, some are “healthier” than others. When deciding which oil to use, figure out your health goals, and what works best for you.
That said, this is a FRIED recipe. So yes, it’s low in carbs, but is it healthy? That’s up to you. I don’t consider it one of my healthy recipes, but I DEFINITELY eat these in moderation.
Enough with the rant… my preferred oil for frying is peanut oil. Avocado, veggie, and canola oil also work well here.
Tools To Make
Here’s what you need to make this low carb onion rings recipe :
- Heavy bottom pan (skillet) or deep fryer: for frying your onion rings! If using a deep fryer, set it to 375 F.
- Wide mouth bowl: for mixing and dipping the ingredients
- Tongs: for safely transferring rings from the hot oil
- Paper towel-lined plate: for soaking up the excess grease
Side note: I haven’t personally tested this myself, but word on the street is that air fryer onion rings are NEXT LEVEL! I’d love to know your results if you try this recipe in an air fryer! Let me know in the comments section below!
Pro tips for making the best onion rings outside of a fast food restaurant:
- Make sure oil is piping hot before adding rings
- Prep “station” before cooking, as these cook quickly!
- Transfer the rings from the batter to the oil quickly, no stops in between.
Best eaten immediately! Sadly, they will get soggy and are pure perfection when hot and crispy!
- Wrap these in bacon. Want to take these to the next level?! Wrap them in BACON. Once you get on the bacon train, you’ll want to wrap it on everyTHING. Try Bacon wrapped chicken bites and bacon wrapped chicken tenders to really get your fix in!
- Bake. I love a good “Baked Not Fried” situation. If you want these even healthier, make them baked onion rings, you’ll just want to swap the breading to a pork rind crust.
- Spices. Add your fave ones to kick up the heat or to add savory or sweet flavors to this low carb onion rings recipe!
- Fry other things. While the pan is still hot, you might as well fry some more deliciousness! Try making low carb fried pickles, low carb fried chicken or low carb popcorn chicken! You can literally never go wrong with fried food!
Low Carb Onion RingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Heat 1" of oil on high in a heavy bottom pan (I use a skillet). I like to use a smaller pan for this so I don't need as much oil. Alternatively, you can use a deep fryer set to 365 F.
- Separate onion slices into rings and set aside.
- In a wide-mouthed bowl, combine the whey protein, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and parmesan.
- Add the soda water and whisked egg, and stir until well combined. The combo will be wet.
- Once the oil is hot (about 375 F), use tongs to transfer the onion rings into the coating, then directly in the oil.
- Allow the onion rings to fry until golden, then transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. Continue until you've fried all the onions rings.
- Serve immediately (will get soggy over time) and enjoy!
Snacks are LIFE. Here are our top 5 faves:
- Low Carb Nachos– this is NACHO typical recipe, it’s low carb but HIGH flavor!
- Low Carb Sausage Balls- your fave appetizer with a paleo makeover!
- Zucchini Fries- Guilt-free fries, the vegetable way!
- Parmesan Crisps– the crunchiest, cheesiest low carb snack of your life!
- Eggplant Fries- potato fries are soooo last year, these are the IT snack of 2020!
My greatest wish is that you’re addicted to this low carb onion rings recipe as much as I am. Let me know how yours turned out in the comments section below, and ENJOY!