This jalapeno coleslaw recipe combines my 2 favorite hot weather foods: jalapenos and coleslaw.
The peppery bite of fresh cabbage, tang of the pickle, sweetness of the onion, creaminess of the mayo and SPICE of the jalapeno is just PURE low carb coleslaw perfection!
This is proof that low carb recipes are anything but boring baby! If you’re a LPLC regular, you already know that low carb side dishes are my JAM. Also, this recipe gets you outta the mentality that low carb salads must include lettuce.
Push the boring romaine aside and whip up this fresh side dish!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
I’m about to get jalapeno your business and tell you why this jalapeno coleslaw recipe is a MUST:
- There’s only 5 ingredients!
- It’s super economical to make.
- If you have 15 minutes, you have jalapeno coleslaw!
- The flavors continue to get better the longer they sit in the fridge. I love it when food gets better without touching it, score!
- It’s a FLAVOR BOMB that satisfies sweet, salty, spicy and creamy!
Here’s the 411 on what you need to know to make this spicy coleslaw:
Traditional coleslaw is an American classic picnic food for gatherings. It usually is shredded cabbage mixed with a sugary dressing and a mayo base.
This recipe cleans the sugar part of the recipe up and gives it a fresher, healthier take that I think you’re going to love! Think of it as a traditional coleslaw facelift…
Jalapenos – increase/decrease the spice by the number of jalapenos you add. You can also include seeds if you’re feeling zesty!
Pickles – The pickles in this recipe may have surprised you — I know it sounds like something a pregnant woman would crave, but trust me, THEY’RE SO GOOD. They bring a salty crunchy edition to this dish, making it truly unforgettable.
Cabbage – Use a combo of green and purple for extra pizzazz.
Tools To Make
Here what you need to whip up this jalapeno coleslaw recipe:
- Cheese grater: to grate the onion. Pro tip: you can also chop it up in your food processor!
- Knife: to chop up the veggies.
- Small bowl + whisk: to mix together the dressing.
- Large bowl: to mix everything all together.
Store this fresh and spicy jalapeno coleslaw recipe in the fridge. The longer it sits, the better it gets, yahoo!
Hmm, I would eat this jalapeno coleslaw recipe by the spoonful any time of day, but if you are a normal person, it pairs best with a burger (check out my awesome keto hamburger buns recipe), keto fried chicken or in low carb tacos.
I mean, you can’t go wrong serving this with any summer fare.
Want to sass up this jalapeno coleslaw recipe even more?! Check out some of the below ideas for inspiration or create your own!
- Add More Vegetables! I love to pack in veggies where I can, and this recipe is the perfect vehicle for doing just that! Try adding your favorites, or use up any leftovers you need to get rid of. I like to add shredded broccoli for low carb broccoli salad slaw, or cauli rice for a zesty cauliflower salad.
- Add meat to turn this into a main course. Add shredded leftover chicken for a quick and easy chicken and cabbage dish, OR! Chicken sausage!
- Swap the mayo! I get it, sometimes you aren’t feeling mayo, NO WORRIES. You can easily sub it with keto greek yogurt. It’s one of my favorite sneaky swaps, and no one can tell the difference! Our secret, okay?!
Sometimes side dishes are better than the main course! Here are some of my personal veggie-based side faves:
- Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Broccoli Rice
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Keto Butternut Squash Soup
- Jicama Fries
Jalapeno ColeslawPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 Cup White Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Pickle Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Mayo
- 1/4 Cup Jalapeño minced. Add more for extra heat, or include some seeds.
- 4 Cups Sliced Cabbage
- 1 Carrots peeled + shredded
- 1/2 Cup Pickles diced
- Using a cheese grater, grate the onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together onion (1/4 cup), pickle juice (2 tablespoons), mayonnaise (2 tablespoons), pepper, and minced jalapeño (1/4 cup).
- Add sliced cabbage (4 cups), diced pickles (1/2 cup), and shredded carrot (1 peeled) to a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss together until veggies are coated.
- Store in the fridge, it’s even tastier the next day. And enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Pickles - Many pickles contain added sugar, check the labels before purchasing a product. We love Vlasic.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serving, if you divide this recipe into 8 servings, which is about 1/2 cup: