Summer is upon us, and trust me, your dawgs would taste a heck-of-a-lot better with these ultra fluffy low carb hot dog buns.
Because plain old hot dogs are great and all, but there’s nothing a little low carb bread can’t make better…
And this low carb recipes here to prove it! They toast up just like the traditional kind and taste great with all the toppings. Toss them in the oven when you light up the grill so all your hot dog fixings are ready at the same time.
And speaking of almond flour recipes, make these low carb hamburger buns while you’re at it. Let’s dive in!
First and foremost, they’re hot dog buns without the carbs! And…
- Literally 10 minutes of prep!
- They’re LEGIT FLUFFY!! Who would have thought low carb bread could puff into these perfect rolls.
- These buns also make from great low carb sandwich bread (these are the perfect replacement for your beloved sub sandwiches!)
- Staple low carb bread ingredients. If you’ve made low carb bread before, you’ve got these ingredients in your pantry. They’re staples no low carb baker should be without.
These low carb buns come together with a few twirls of the risk and an oven. Here’s everything you need to know:
Almond flour is the flour we’ll be using in these low carb hot dog buns. You want to get a super fine-grained product for the most “flour-like” results. (I love Trader Joe’s and Costco brands, or Bob’s Red Mill)
Since almond flour is significantly more dense than traditional flour, we’ll need to add some fluff to our bread, which we’ll do with two ingredients: whey protein isolate and psyllium husk…
Whey protein isolate is one of my favorite kitchen tools. This low carb protein powder ensures our buns don’t lose their “fluff” post bake. It also helps to add structure to this gluten-free bread.
All protein powders are different. I’ve only tested my recipes using ISO Pure Unflavored. It’s amazing!
Psyllium husk adds fluff and binds together ingredients, which is what gluten does in traditional bread recipes. This ingredient is a form of dietary fiber, so it essentially soaks up the water we’ll be adding, which is our “fluff”.
Be sure to grab NOW psyllium husk — other products have a tendency to add a blue-ish purple tint to baked goods and they absorb different amounts of liquid.
Can You Freeze these?
As easy as these low carb hot dog buns are to make, you probably don’t want to turn on the oven every time you’re craving hot dogs.
The great news is that these buns freeze beautifully in a resealable baggie. Defrost in the microwave while you’re grilling the dogs for a complete meal!
There are SO many ways to serve these low carb hot dog buns.
Use them for dogs, brats, or sausages, and smother them in your favorite toppings. Our top picks are:
- Traditional: low carb ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions.
- Western: low carb BBQ sauce, cheddar, and red onions. (Serve these with a side of low carb onion rings for the WIN!)
- Funky: pickled onions, low carb honey mustard, jalapenos, whatever you love.
You can also use these low carb hot dog buns for sub sandwiches! Kinda like Subway, just pile in your favorite filling.
As with most baked goods, you don’t want to switch up the ingredients in these low carb hot dog buns much. BUT, you can always add some pizzazz! Here are a few ideas:
- Add some toppings to your buns! Think of your buns as a low carb seed bread and sprinkle on your faves before baking. You can also use (our favorite!) Everything but the Bagel seasoning, ala low carb bagels.
- Cheese, jalapenos, or thinly sliced red onions are also delicious toppings to sprinkle over this almond flour bread.
Low Carb Hot Dog BunsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add egg, water, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Allow dough to absorb the liquid for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces using a spatula. Wet your hands, then roll each piece of dough into a long hot dog bun shape. Use the water on your hands to smooth out the surface as you roll them. Be sure to run your hands under water before you form each roll.
- Place the buns on your prepared baking sheet
- Baking in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow buns to cool slightly before slicing, then use a bread knife to cut them in the middle lengthwise, making sure to leave just a bit at the end to keep the buns attached.
- If you'd like to toast on the grill, brush with oil first. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Can’t get enough low carb bread? US EITHER! Because living the low carb life doesn’t mean missing out on life’s greatest pleasures:
- Low Carb Pumpkin Bread. We make this fall classic YEAR ROUND!
- Low Carb Wraps. Legit, pliable, and perfect for premade lunches.
- Low Carb Banana Bread. OMG, that banana flava!
- Soul Bread. A low carb classic.
- Almond Flour Biscuits. These are perfect buttery, flakey little bites.
I hope these low carb hot dog buns add a bit of fun to your next BBQ or cookout! Don’t forget to make them in bulk and stash them in your freezer so you always have them at the ready.
Let us know what you think in the comments below, and seriously guys, ENJOY!