My keto banana bread recipe is B-A-N-A-N-A-S! I love this recipe for breakfast, low carb snacks, and dessert!
There are few things as comforting as a freshly baked, warm low carb bread straight out of the oven. It’s an even better feeling knowing that this is one of those low carb desserts I can feel good about making for my loved ones.
Low carb recipes are my favorite thing to share and this one is just too good to keep secret! Let’s get to baking one of my classic, low carb desserts!
Looking for more keto desserts? Check out my keto zucchini bread, keto pumpkin bread, or my keto ice cream recipe.
What I Love About This Low Carb Banana Bread Recipe
Here is why this keto banana bread recipe is a classic in my baking repertoire:
- The only ingredient you need fresh for this recipe are the eggs! Everything else can already be found in your pantry!
- I love the flavor profile of the almond flour, cinnamon, banana extract and walnuts! It caters to my nutty, sweet and crunchy cravings!
- My recipe is low in carbs, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, high in potassium, calcium and vitamin A and flavor PACKED!
- In just under an hour, you’ll be popping my moist keto banana bread recipe out of the oven and into your mouth!
Keto Banana Bread Recipe Notes
Here’s everything you need to know about throwing together this quick and easy keto banana bread recipe!
Traditional banana bread is generally made with all-purpose flour, sugar, and bananas — all of which are loaded with carbohydrates.
Here’s what we’ll be using instead:
Almond Flour – When baking with almond flour, it’s important to get a super fine-grained product for the best texture! My fave products are Bob’s Red Mill and Trader Joes.
While I love almond flour, just be forewarned that it doesn’t behave exactly like traditional wheat flour and can’t be used one-for-one in recipes. It usually needs an additional binding/fluff adding agent, such as…
Psyllium Husk – Almond flour is much heavier compared to wheat flour. Therefore, it can make your final product too dense. To counteract this, almond flour typically needs an ingredient to add “fluff” to it, while also helping to glue the low carb bread ingredients together…enter psyllium husk!
Psyllium husk takes on the fluffing and gluing characteristics that gluten does in traditional bread recipes.
Erythritol – A diabetes and keto friendly sugar substitute. If you don’t have powdered erythritol, you can make it using granular erythritol by adding it to a blender or food processor and processing until smooth.
Pro tip: Be sure to let the dust settle before removing the lid, as the erythritol will initially be powdered and airborne.
Banana Extract – It’s much easier to find immitation banana at grocery stores (Krogers has it!), however, I much prefer banana extract because of the processing, this one is made from REAL bananas!
While this extract has no nutritional value, it also has no added carbs. Meanwhile, a fresh medium banana can rack in as much as 28 grams of carbs! You do the math on which you prefer!
Tools To Make
Here’s all you need to make this keto banana bread recipe: (just two things, which means minimal dish cleanup! Yahoo!)
- 8” bread pan for baking your bread
- Large bowl for mixing ingredients
You can store your leftover keto banana bread recipe in the fridge, but be sure to wrap it in saran wrap or in a resealable bag so it doesn’t get soggy.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, you can easily freeze this recipe. I like to make two loaves at a time and freeze one to eat at a later keto breakfast.
How To Eat This Bread
You do not have to limit this bread to healthy snacks only! Here are a few (of the many) ways I like to eat this bread:
- Make a keto sandwich bread, with low carb peanut butter and low carb jam
- Toast and spread a dollop of cream cheese on top
- Make low carb bagels with it, great with cream cheese!
I love a good variation to this low carb banana bread, try some of these ideas below!
- Make muffins. transform this low carb banana bread into low carb banana muffins! Simply pour the batter in a greased muffin tin pan, and bake for 15-25 minutes.
- Want some frosting? Add keto cream cheese frosting for a delicious creamy snack.
- Mix in keto chocolate. Add your go-to, whether it’s sugar free chocolate chips or low carb dark chocolate. Chocolate lovers unite!
- Add some nuts. You can add some chopped keto nuts for a little crunch.
More Keto Bread Recipes
Looking for more low carb bread options? Make these crowd-pleasers:
Keto Banana BreadPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 3 Tablespoons NOW Powdered Psyllium Husk
- 2 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed can sub for and additional tablespoon of Psyllium Husk
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below)
- 1/2 Cup Hot Water
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Teaspoons Banana Extract
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F and grease an 8" bread pan.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add hot water (1/2 cup). Use a rubber spatula to combine.
- Add eggs (4), banana extract (3 teaspoons) and unsalted melted butter (1/4 cup). Stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pan.
- Sprinkle roughly chopped walnuts (1/4 cup), and lightly press them in to adhere.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Allow bread to slightly cool in pan before slicing, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Almond Flour. Using fine-grained almond flour will yield the most "flour-like" results. My favorite brands are Bob's Red Mill, Trader Joe's, or Costco brands.
- Lakanto, Swerve, or Erythritol. I stick to Lakanto and Swerve which are a 1:1 swap with traditional sugar. If using a different brand of Erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet as sugar, so you may need to add more to taste.
- Psyllium Husk. This recipe has ONLY been tested with NOW Psyllium Husk Powder. Some psyllium husk powders can turn baked goods into a blue-ish purple color, and they absorb liquids in varying amounts
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice, if you cut this bread into 16 slices:
Give lankanto a try. The larger pkg. ends up cheaper in the long run. They have a history of “monk fruit”. In my little town, I had a hard time finding it. Now I am going to Now, and see wha else I can find. Thanks again
Awesome, thanks Judy! Hope you enjoy!!
Can I use real bananas instead of extract? If so, how many? Also thank you for the almond bread with herbs. I use 2 tablespoons of zatar! Excellent!!!!
Hi Rachel! I think you’re the same Rachel who asked this above, so check out that response above ??? And SO happy you enjoyed the almond flour bread! Za’atar would be an AMAZING addition, thanks for the tip!
Can I use real bananas?
Hi Rachel! I don’t use bananas because of their high carb count (27g per medium banana!). If you’d like to use bananas, I suggest finding a recipe that includes this as an ingredient, as this will affect the dry to wet ingredient ratio. Best of luck!
I used the metric version 4 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder. The bread turned out gluggy. Should I have used just psyllium hush, and 3 tablespoons (us) of the husks or powder rather than the 4 tablespoons it says for metric. I like the flavour just need to sort out the gluggyness.
Hi Val! If it was gluggy in the center only, it sounds like you may just need to bake the bread a little longer. If it was gluggy all over, you will need to add less liquid. Every brand of psyllium husk absorbs liquid differently, I recommend using only NOW, but if isn’t available where you are, try less liquid 🙂
With your already baked loaf, try microwaving each slice for 30 seconds to see if that fixes the center “glug”. Hope this helps and that you enjoy!
I made muffin and OMG! You would have never guessed they are keto. Love this recipe.
Thank you for sharing!
Ohh yay! So happy to hear that Verenice! This is one of my faves too.
How can I omit the eggs in this banana bread.
Hi Tina! Unfortunately no, they help to add fluff, while binding the gluten free flours. If you’re worried about the bread tasty “eggy”, it doesn’t at all! Hope you enjoy!