I don’t know about you but when I started eating low carb, I scoured the internet for a quality keto sandwich bread recipe and came up with nada!
Seriously, all I could find were bland low carb recipes, that quite frankly, were a BIG waste of money! All a girl wants is almond flour recipes that also taste good! Is that too much to ask!?
I took to the kitchen and worked up a low carb sandwich bread recipe for the books! Adios, lame bland bread! I cannot wait to introduce you to the ultimate low carb bread for low carb snacks that are healthy snacks and delicious too!
Yahoo, we’ve hit the trifecta! Let’s do this!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Here’s why you need to make this keto sandwich bread recipe asap:
- I absolutely adore a decent bread replacement recipe that tastes like the real deal and this one is it, baby!
- Fresh bread in less than an hour?! I’m in!
- It can be toasted and frozen like traditional bread! Score!
- There aren’t millions of ingredients necessary to make it! Convenience is king!
See what you need and get to baking!
Here’s the skinny on the ingredients in this low carb sandwich bread recipe:
Almond flour: Be sure you use fine-grained almond flour to get the fluffiest bread possible! I like Trader Joe’s Brand or Bob’s Red Mill.
If you haven’t tried almond flour bread, do yourself a favor and get right on that immediately!
Psyllium Husk: In case you aren’t familiar with it, psyllium husk is more than a funny name! It’s a form of dietary fiber made from the husks of the medical plant, Plantago ovata’s seeds. It takes on the fluffing and gluing characteristics that gluten does in traditional bread recipes.
Beware: it can turn your breads a blue-ish purple! Avoid this by using NOW Psyllium Husk for less oompa loompa bread!
Baking soda + Apple Cider Vinegar: When baking soda and an acid (the ACV in this case) interact together, carbon dioxide is released, which then expands the dough and adds a bit more fluff! Bring it on!
Eggs: Paleo bread can typically taste eggy, which doesn’t replicate bread very well! I avoided that in this recipe by using fewer eggs and the fluffing magic ingredients above (psyllium husk + ACV + baking soda!).
Also, be sure to use room temperature eggs or this will take longer to bake in the oven! And trust me, you don’t want to be waiting around for this bread! (The sooner it’s done, the sooner you can eat it!)
Warm water: You want to use warm water vs. cold water for the same reason you want room temperature eggs, SCIENCE!…the cold water will make it take longer to cook and could mess with the baking powder and your bread’s ability to rise to great heights!
Tools To Make
Here are the 3 things you need to make your very own low carb sandwich bread recipe:
- 8” bread pan with parchment, butter or silicone baking mat
- Large bowl to mix all ingredients together
- Cooling rack for bread
You’ll want to hide/store this keto sandwich bread recipe in the fridge.
Also, please note that because this isn’t your run of the mill grocery store bread packed with preservatives, it has a much shorter shelf life. But don’t worry, the whole house will snack on this before it loses its freshness!
Can You Freeze Them?
Yes, you can and that is what I love about this recipe! You can bake this up, freeze half of a loaf (or a few pieces) and warm them up in the oven or toaster when you want to eat them! Super simple healthy snacks!
Want to switch this recipe up? Check out some healthy recipes on how below:
Can I Make This Bread Without Low Carb Flour?
Sorry friends, not this recipe. BUT, if that’s what you’re looking for, here are some other recipes where low carb flour is completely unnecessary:
A fantastic go-to is the light and airy oopsie bread! It has cream cheese in it too, yummmmm! Or try this NO carb bread for a suuuper quick and easy one!
Can I Add Some Toppings?
Who doesn’t love toppings?! YES, add them to your delight!
I like to add seeds onto the crust for a seed bread that’s WAY better than Dave’s Killer Bread. You can use any seeds of your choosing: sunflower, pepitas, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds or any other personal faves!
Not only are they healthy to add but they also elevate your loaf!
Spices and/or herbs can also turn your bread’s flavor up a notch.
Can I Turn This Recipe Into Muffins?
You can certainly make this recipe with muffin tins instead of a bread pan! Simply decrease the bake time (around 15-25 minutes), and serve for breakfast like a low carb english muffin!
How Can I Make This Bread Healthier?
Want to make this loaf of low carb deliciousness healthier?
Like most baked goods, there isn’t a ton of wiggle room with the ingredients. That said, you can absolutely get creative with the toppings to add in some nutrients, fruits, and veggies.
- I like to serve a slice of this with some chia seed jam
- OR! A dollop of peanut butter and freshly sliced strawberries
- You can also slice up your favorite veggies and melt some shredded cheese on top!
Can I Turn This Recipe Into Biscuits?
Craving biscuits instead of a loaf?
This recipe would take more work than it’s worth to work into butter flaky low carb biscuits, so if that’s what you’re craving, I suggest you check out my keto biscuits (a SERIOUS personal fave!) or my drop coconut flour biscuits!
Can’t get enough bread?! ME NEITHER! Check out these INSANE keto bread recipes!
Keto Sandwich BreadPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line an 8” bread pan with parchment paper or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add eggs (6 large in size), melted butter (4 tablespoons), *make sure it has cooled, we don’t want to cook the eggs*, apple cider vinegar (3 tablespoons) and warm water (3/4 cup) — stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into prepared bread pan.
- Cook for 55-65 min, or until the bread is cooked all the way through. ***
- Let cool before slicing and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Almond Flour. Using fine-grained almond flour will yield the most "flour-like" results. My favorite brands are Bob's Red Mill, Trader Joe's, or Costco brands.
- Psyllium Husk. This recipe has ONLY been tested with NOW Psyllium Husk Powder. Some psyllium husk powders can turn baked goods into a blue-ish purple color, and they absorb liquids in varying amounts.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice, if you slice your bread into 16 slice.
- It’s important to use a FINE GRAIN almond flour, as the coarse grain will weigh down the eggs and make this bread less fluffy. I’ve had the best luck with Trader Joe’s brand and Bob’s Red Mill.
- Not all psyllium husk powders produce the same amount of fluff, and some of them can change the color of your bread to a blue-ish purple. I highly recommend using NOW psyllium husk.
- You may need to slice to the bread to see if it’s cooked through. If the center looks slightly doughy, place it back in the oven. If the top begins to brown, place tin foil over the top.