I am telling you now, this low carb sushi is the answer to all of your dining out woes!
It can be hard to find low carb dinners when eating at restaurants, but I know I still want all my favorite foods! Sushi is one of the easier low carb fish recipes – there is almost no prep and it’s great when hosting or as an addition to your cache of low carb lunch ideas.
This low carb recipes totally customizable and as satisfying and delicious as traditional sushi, plus it’s ready in a snap!
This scrumptious low carb sushi has all of the salty, spicy, fresh flavors we love in sushi, plus:
- Simple, inexpensive ingredients that are easy to find!
- Super low carb, and great for eating keto!
- Ready in 15 minutes!
Restaurant sushi is expensive! But this tasty low carb sushi recipe is incredibly easy and will have you sitting at the table in no time!
Some of these ingredients may be new to your grocery list, but don’t worry! They’re all inexpensive and easy to find in the international aisle of the grocery store.
Nori – These dried seaweed sheets are the base of all sushi roll recipes. When you use them, place the shiny side up! This classic Asian ingredient is packed with flavor, plus antioxidants, minerals and fiber!
Fish – You have a few options here. You can use sushi-grade fish, or smoked salmon as I did below. Sushi grade can be hard to source and is often more expensive, so I prefer smoked salmon, which you can find at almost any grocery store.
Cucumber and carrots – these veggies offer lots of great nutrients, plus the fresh flavors and crunch we look for in a sushi roll. You’ll want thin strips – shreds of the carrots – to stretch these ingredients the length of the roll.
Wasabi – what’s sushi without some heat? You can find wasabi powder in the international section of your store. Just mix with a little water and voila!
Cream cheese – I LOVE a little cream cheese in my sushi, it’s one of the low carb cheese options that adds a delicious creamy texture to the meal.
Tools To Make
Mostly stock tools except for the bamboo! You’ll soon be ready to go!
- Bamboo Sushi Mat – This simple and ingenious little mat is where the magic happens. This little tool lets us wrap the roll onto itself effortlessly! You can find these in the grocery store or on Amazon.
- Plastic wrap – this helps make sure you don’t get any food stuck between the wood sticks of the bamboo. Plus, I find it really helps get the roll nice and tight. Just make sure it doesn’t get rolled into your low carb sushi – I’m pretty sure plastic wrap isn’t low carb!
- Sharp knife – You’ll want a nice sharp knife that can cut through all these layers without squishing the roll.
When serving this sushi, I like to make a myriad of rolls for everyone to choose from. Whip up a quick Japanese cucumber salad as a side, and steamed edamame as an app!
Now that you have the basics down, you can get as creative as you’d like with the filling! Here are some ideas:
- Add your favorite veggies to the filling. Sauteed mushrooms, sprouts, sliced avocado (actually considered low carb fruits), Whatever you have and are craving!
- Skip the nori (seaweed) and use julienned cucumbers (check out my cucumber sandwiches for tips) or lettuce (like sushi lettuce wraps).
- Add low carb rice into the mix, such as cauliflower rice or broccoli rice! Since this rice doesn’t have the same “stickiness”, I suggest wrapping it on the inside of the nori.
- Turn this into a salad instead. Salmon salad and avocado tuna salad are both delicious ways to get a sushi fix. Simply spread the filling over a bed of greens.
- Swap or skip the meat. Not a huge fan of fish? Consider getting creative with different types of meat… ham roll ups, teriyaki chicken, tofu. I can’t promise all will taste great with nori, but you do you.
Low Carb SushiPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Large Seaweed Sheets (nori)
- 6 Oz Smoked Salmon*
- 1/2 Cucumber cut into long skinny strips
- 1/2 Cup Carrots shredded
- Extremely thin sliced lemon deseeded
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese whipped
Dip + Toppings:
- Green Onions sliced
- Sesame Seeds optional
- Soy Sauce
- Wasabi optional
- Place bamboo sushi mat on a flat surface, with a piece of plastic wrap on top. (You can also use a large plastic bag for this.)
- Lay a sheet of seaweed, shiny side up, on top.
- Layer your ingredients across the lower 1/3 of the seaweed in a horizontal line. Start with the cream cheese.
- Grab the bottom of the mat, along with the seaweed, roll it over the filling. Roll as tightly as possible (this will help keep everything together when you slice). Continue to do this until you reach the end of your sushi. (Be careful not to roll the mat or plastic wrap up with the seaweed!)
- With damp fingers, add a bit of water to the edge of the seaweed, this will help your roll stay together.
- Use a sharp knife to cut your sushi into pieces. I like to cut the roll in half, then each half in half, then each quarter in half to ensure even slices.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onion, and serve with wasabi and soy sauce. Enjoy!
I’ll bet this low carb sushi recipe has you dreaming of all sorts of healthy lunch ideas. Here are some great recipes to get you started!
- Tuna Salad. YES! Your favorite, tuna salad, is in fact LOW CARB.
- Salmon Tacos. Perfect summer treat!
- Thai Chicken Salad. SO.MANY.VEGGIES!
- Shrimp Salad Recipe. Shrimp has never tasted better…
- Low Carb Wraps. Use these for the salmon tacos, and you’ve got a winning low carb meal!
This low carb sushi is salty, creamy, and makes an utterly satisfying meal anytime a craving hits! Let me know in the comments your favorite way to customize these rolls!