You guys, these cucumbers subs are about to be one of the best things to ever happen to your low carb meal plan, and I can’t WAIT to share them with you!
Because, thanks to the trusty cucumber, us low carb-ers can now enjoy sub sandwiches just like we used to. All those tasty meats, cheeses, spreads and toppings sandwiched between two slices of keto vegetables for super tasty and portable low carb lunches.
You’re gonna love how easy these cucumbers subs are to make — let’s do this…
Not sure if I’ve told you guys this before, but my Dad is the original low carb champion.
He’s been a low carb-er since the beginning of his time. I’m serious, he loves meat and veggies that much! Anyway, this post is dedicated to him, because he taught me how to make these cucumbers subs. Thanks Papa!
How to Make Cucumbers Subs
Making cucumbers subs is super easy. Here are a few tricks to get this keto bread ready to go!
Peel your cucumber, if desired.
Cucumber peel adds a slightly waxy texture to these sandwiches, so if you’d like to peel it off before throwing your low carb sandwiches together, then by all means! Simply use a veggie peeler.
I kept the peel on because: 1. It looks prettier, and 2. I don’t mind the texture 3. the peel contains some nutrients (cucumbers are primarily water, so I wanted to get the most out of these keto vegetables!).
Your sandwiches your rules…
Hollow out your cucumber.
Then hollow your cucumbers by removing the seeds. This can be done easily with a spoon: just hold your cucumber in one hand and scrape the seeds with the other.
This will maximize the room you have for cucumber sandwich fillings!
In the cucumber sandwich photos, I left quite a bit of the cucumber — but TBH, I much prefer thinner cucumber slices for these healthy cucumbers subs. Too thick of cucumbers makes your bite a little too crunchy and slightly awkward.
Add your toppings.
Add any mustard, mayonnaise, avocado or cream cheese into the hollowed out part of your cucumber sandwich — then all your veggies, meat, cheese and additional toppings.
Slice your sandwiches on up!
Depending on when, where, and how you plan to eat your cucumbers subs, you may want to slice these up a few different ways:
For low carb lunches.
Slice the cucumbers subs in half and place a toothpick in the center of each slice. Toss them into your best meal prep containers for super creative low carb lunch ideas.
For low carb appetizers
Slice these sandwiches into inch wide pieces and hold each together with a toothpick.
For low carb snacks on the go
Just like the keto appetizers above, cut them into slices and store them in the fridge for keto snacks you’ll never get tired of!
You can also wrap your cucumbers subs in foil or seran wrap for on-the-go low carb meals.
Cucumbers Subs Variations
Think of your favorite sub or sandwich recipe. Now sandwich those ingredients between your cucumber slices, and you’ll be good to go! Here are my four favorite cucumber sandwich variations:
Italian Cucumber Sandwich.
Red onions, sliced bell peppers, pepperoncinis, salami, pepperoni, turkey, provolone, mustard and mayonnaise.
“Californian” Cucumber Sandwich.
Avocado, sprouts, yellow onions, Swiss cheese, turkey, and mustard.
Meat lover’s Cucumber Sandwich.
Roast beef, ham, turkey, red onions, cheddar cheese, mustard and mayonnaise
Lox Cucumber Sandwich.
Smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and red onions
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Now it’s your turn! What are your favorite low carb foods to add to cucumber tea sandwiches? If you aren’t sure where to start here are some ideas:
- Something creamy: cream cheese, mustard, mayonnaise, keto honey mustard, keto BBQ sauce, keto ranch dressing.
- Keto vegetables: onions, scallions, sprouts, shredded lettuce, pepperoncinis, bell peppers, sliced tomatoes.
- Meat and cheese: Pepperoni, salami, turkey, roast beef, ham, chicken, tuna, salmon.
- Cheese: sliced cheese is best for these sandwiches!
- All the extras: Capers, pickles, everything but the bagel seasoning.
Now it’s your turn! My biased opinion is that cucumbers subs with cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches with ranch are WINNERS!
But, if you’re prefer cucumber sandwiches without cream cheese, for a lighter option, there are plenty of tasty foods to use instead. Pst, if you aren’t on a low carb eating plan, you can always make these cucumber sandwiches on rye, wheat or whatever bread you have on hand.
Cucumbers Subs Recipe
There you have it! Everything you need to know about cucumber sandwiches no bread (and then some…)!
Can’t wait to see what you guys work at, leave me a comment below and let me know your favorite toppings for your sandwiches! Enjoy!
Cucumbers SubsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cucumber Garden preferred, English works as well
(Filling #1) Italian Sandwich
- 1/4 cup red onions slices
- 1/4 cup Pepperoncinis sliced
- 8 Salami sliced
- 8 Pepperoni sliced
- 4 slices Turkey sliced
- 2 slices Provolone sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mayonnaise.
(Filling #2) “Californian” Sandwich
- 1/2 Avocado mashed
- 1/4 cup Sprouts
- 1/4 cup yellow onions sliced
- 2 slices Swiss Cheese sliced
- 4 slices turkey sliced
- 2 tablespoons mustard
(Filling #3) Meat Lover’s Sandwich
- 2 slices Roast Beef sliced
- 2 slices Ham sliced
- 2 slices Turkey sliced
- 1/4 cup Red Onions sliced
- 2 slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
(Filling #4) Lox Sandwich
- 4 ounces Smoked Salmon sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Capers
- 1/4 cup Red Onions sliced
- Prep your cucumber. Cut your cucumber in half, then use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. The thickness of your cucumber slices will depend on how much crunch and cucumber flavor you want here, I like to get the cucumber pretty thin, just thick enough to support the filling ingredients.
- Fill. Add your sauces/spreads (mayo, mustard, cream cheese, avo, etc). Then layer the remaining ingredients. (NOTE: The amount of each filling ingredient you use will depend on the size of your cucumber, and how you like your sandwiches. These are provided to give you a better idea of the nutritional information). Slice your sandwiches in half, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- For the "Italian". Carbs: 7.5g | Net Carbs: 2.5g | Calories: 405 | Protein: 23g | Fat: 31g
- For the "Californian". Carbs: 11g | Net Carbs: 6g | Calories: 225 | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g
- For the "Meat Lover's". Carbs: 6g | Net Carbs: 4g | Calories: 341 | Protein: 24g | Fat: 24g
- For the "Lox":