Friends, this is a dangerous recipe, because these Italian sub roll ups are, in a word, ADDICTIVE.
High in protein and healthy fat – this low carb recipes perfect for a quick meal on the go or for meal prepping low carb lunch ideas. The flavors complement each other so well, and it’s ready almost as soon as you decide you want to eat it.
This meal is a no-brainer. Let’s get going!
Well, these guys are UTTERLY scrumptious, plus:
- 5 inexpensive ingredients, plus an easy homemade sauce!
- Ready in 15 minutes, so you can snack as soon as you’re hungry!
- All the flavors we crave in a sandwich, no carbs need apply!
Ready to get all those yummy sub flavors rolled into easy to eat bites? Let’s do this!!
Basic sandwich ingredients – with a healthy new twist!
Provolone – Provolone is a wonderful low carb cheese that adds some nice flavor to these rollups. If you want, you can use a different cheese, like mozzarella, swiss, or cheddar. We just want a cheese that’ll get nice and melty so we can use it as a “glue” to keep our rollup, well, rolled up!
Pepporncinis – I love these spicy pickles, they are tasty on their own and add a delicious punch to lighten this meat-heavy dish.
Tools To Make
All you need for this easy Italian sub roll ups recipe is an oven and baking sheet. We’re making an outer wrap out of the ham and melted cheese, so we’ll use the broil function on the oven to melt the cheese quickly and easily.
These Italian sub roll ups are one of my favorite keto lunch ideas. Only 1 net carb a roll, these are perfect for prepping out and keeping on hand for a fast and satisfying meal with carbs to spare!
Store leftover roll ups in the fridge in an airtight container, or portion out a few along with some healthy veggies for a flavorful, well balanced meal in no time.
- If you want to add an extra layer of crunch, us Romain leaves and turn these into low carb lettuce wraps or cabbage wraps!
- If you’re missing that sub bread, there are options. Try layering the meats and cheese in almond flour tortillas or low carb wraps before rolling them up.
- Not a ham fan? You can make these into turkey roll ups instead by swapping the lunch meat. Or, try chicken breast!
- Use low carb sandwich bread to make these into more of a traditional sub! Layer the ham, cheese, and salami, then add the fixins’!
- Add some low carb vegetables into your Italian sub roll ups, like bell pepper slices, avocado, or carrot shreds.
Italian Sub Roll UpsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 24 Slices Deli Meat Traditionally, this would be 8 each of ham, mortadella, and capicola. I use 24 slices of ham and we love it!
- 2 Cups Provolone shredded
- 12 Slices Salami cut in half
- 1/4 Cup Pepperoncinis
- 1/4 Cup Red Onions
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Iceburg Lettuce chopped
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Lay 2 slices of meat (2 ham, or 1 ham and 1/2 mortadella, and capicola) on a baking sheet. Repeat until you've covered the baking sheet, without overlapping.
- Sprinkle provolone over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Careful! These can burn easily at this temp.
- Prep your ingredients, we'll want to work quickly once the cheese is melted.
- Stir vinegar, oil, and oregano together.
- Place 2 cut pieces of salami on the top of the melted cheese. Brush with the oil/vinegar combo. Sprinkle with pepperoncinis, onions and lettuce -- making sure to keep all the ingredients on 1/2 of the piece of meat, we'll be using the cheese as a "glue" to hold everything together.
- Once the meat has cool enough to handle roll each piece as tightly as possible. Place the rolls ups seam side down on a plate and set aside, allowing the cheese to cool and harden.
- Slice each roll up in half. You can place a toothpick in the center of each half to make sure they stay together. Enjoy!
Looking for some more high protein low carb snacks like these Italian sub roll ups? These other keto bites are perfect for quick snacks that are both delicious AND satisfying:
- Low Carb Sausage Balls – These are perfect for watching a game or as a tasty afternoon snack!
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites – Bread may be overrated when bacon is on the scene!
- Cucumber Sandwiches – This creative sandwich may be your new favorite!
- Cheese Crackers – These crunchy, low carb bites are just what you’re longing for.
- Egg Muffins – This fast breakfast is an answer to the busy weekday hustle!
Who’d have thought that ham as the shell in these Italian sub roll ups would be so gosh darn good?!?
What did you think? Leave me a comment with your favorite sub combo!