20 minutes for super crisp and cheesy baked keto taquitos, that LEGIT taste better than the traditional kind?! YES PLEASE!
Get this: instead of using one of my low carb tortillas recipes (delicious, but requires extra work, effort, and ingredients), we’ll simply use CHEESE to get that crisp outer shell for the perfect dupe.
This low carb recipes got a cream cheese and jalapeno filling — a serious upgrade from the traditional chicken tacos filling for taquitos — making it perfect low carb lunch ideas.
Taco recipes have never tasted this good, and CERTAINLY haven’t been this easy! Let me show you:
Looking for more keto lunch ideas? Check out my cabbage wraps, keto chili, or my keto wraps.
What I Love About This Low Carb Taquitos Recipe
Other than the fact that this is a LOW CARB recipe for TAQUITOS…
- So stickin’ easy! Tired of labor-intensive low carb recipe that promise dupes of your faves? This one’s for you: minimal effort with (dare I say…) even tastier results.
- These taquitos are filled with all the goodies, so you don’t need toppings. With cream cheese and jalapenos stuffed inside, seriously, you don’t need anything else!
- 0, YES! 0g net carbs per taquito! Whereas traditional taquitos have 12.5g carbs per!
Just a few easy peasy notes to share for these keto taquitos:
Chicken – Check out instructions below for boiling chicken, or, use pre-cooked chicken and shred it. Leftover Mexican chicken is delicious in these low carb taquitos for a little extra flava!
Cheese – my favorite keto cheese for these taquitos is cheddar or pepper jack, but you can use any sort of meltable cheese here (meltable is important for getting these cheese taco shells into the proper shape).
The fixins’ – This keto chicken recipes filling utilizes a combo of taquito and jalapeno popper ingredients. The cream cheese gets deliciously melty, and the jalapeno adds a nice kick. Chives are always a must.
What if I want More Traditional Taquitos? You can make a traditional version of this recipe for basic taquitos by skipping the jalapeno, cream cheese, and chives. And instead, saute a diced onion, then toss in keto taco seasoning and your shredded chicken.
Keto chicken recipes don’t have to be fancy to be tasty.
Tools To Make
- RIMMED baking sheet. The cheese (i.e. our low carb taquitos shells) is going to release grease as it bakes — so using a rimmed baking sheet will prevent a big ole mess.
- A bowl to combine the filling.
Here’s the deal, you can’t reheat these low carb taquitos, as they’ll end up in a melty pile of cheese in the center of your plate. So here’s what we do:
- Shred a bunch of cheese, and stash it in the fridge
- Mix the filling and place it in the fridge as well
- Make ONLY the number of taquitos we plan to eat in a sitting
- Later that week, we simply use our prepped ingredients to bake more. Literally, 5 minutes of prep here people. It’s incredible.
As I mentioned before, the filling in these taquitos is SO creamy and full of flavor, so you really don’t need toppings. But if you want to dress your plate up a bit, here are some suggestions:
- Start with a bed of lettuce, then place taquitos on top.
- Cover in diced veggies or salsas — tomatoes, pico, avocado salsa, whatever you love.
- Add sauce! Sour cream, keto guacamole, cilantro lime dressing, avocado sauce are always a hit.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs like chopped cilantro.
Make these keto taquitos however you like best! Here are a few ways to switch things up:
- Make them spicier by adding more jalapenos. OR! Including some of the jalapeno seeds.
- Swap the Meat. Use what you have! Shredded beef is always delicious here, or turn these into low carb ground beef recipes.
- Add More Vegetables. Saute and add in your favorite keto vegetables, this is a great recipe to sneak them in!
Looking for a kitchen challenge? Try using tortillas instead of cheese. My almond flour tortillas are perfect for this, but you can use cauliflower tortillas here too.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
Keto appetizers are an awesome way to load up on flavor without the carbs! So I’ve worked up quite a few recipes you’ll want to add to your recipe collection:
Keto TaquitosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cup Chicken Breast cooked + shredded (see notes for boiling chicken*)
- 8 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded. Or 12 square slices
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded + minced
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons Chives
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
Optional Serving Recommendations:
- Lettuce shredded
- Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked + shredded chicken breast (1 cup), softened cream cheese (1/2 cup), minced jalapeno (1 deseeded), chives (2 tablespoons), and salt (1/2 teaspoon).
- Create 12 flat squares of cheese on the prepared baking sheet, using 1/4 cup of cheese for each square. Be sure to leave 1" between each -- you may need to do this on two baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9-12 minutes. You'll know the cheese is done once it starts to brown along the edges.
- Allow the cheese to cool slightly until it's cool enough to handle, but before it starts to harden (about 3 minutes).
- Scoop the chicken filling onto one edge of the cheese, then roll it toward the open edge.
- Serve with toppings suggested above, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- To boil chicken: Place chicken and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a large pot and cover with 1" of water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let the chicken simmer for 15 minutes. Cut into chicken and make sure it's cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest 10 minutes before shredding.
- Nutritional information is for 1 taquito if you make 16 taquitos using these ingredients, and does not include the toppings: