A winning mixture of spices, savory beef, and green chiles combine in this keto tamale casserole that’ll leave you with midnight cravings only it can satisfy!
Keto Tamale Casserole Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
My Favorite Casserole?
Maybe it’s the way the garlic plays off the onion… or how that tantalizing combo interacts with the bell peppers… or maybe it’s the blend of spices that makes this casserole so unforgettable… all I know is that I literally can’t get it off my mind.
It’s full of deliciously, mouth-wateringly well-seasoned ground turkey, bell peppers, green chile, spices, hot sauce, and onions. It’s the kind of casserole you crave after a cold winter day (or after a really hot summer day, you’ll take any excuse).
It’s immaculate, and complete on its own, but paired with the “corn pudding”? Absolutely. Ridiculous.
Whether you’re serving it to guests or making it for yourself, I guarantee you’ll find ways to work this baby into your menu over and over! Enjoyyy – Linds x
Important Ingredient Notes
Traditional tamale casserole has a zesty and delicious filling that’s covered by corn pudding and cheese. With a few modifications (all low carb kitchen staples), this keto tamale casserole is every bit as good. Here’s what you’ll need for the filling:
- Veggies – yellow onion, bell pepper, garlic
- Meat – ground beef or ground turkey (I always use turkey!)
- Sauce – petite diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken stock, hot sauce, golden Swerve/Lakanto
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt
And for the “corn pudding” hack:
- Almond flour – fine grain products will give you the best texture results.
- Powdered psyllium husk – adds fluff to dense almond flour baked goods.
- Golden Swerve or Lakanto – sub for any golden sugar sub
- Corn extract – I buy this on Amazon. It adds the perfect amount of corn flavor, you won’t notice the difference!
- Baking staples – baking powder, eggs
Bonus Points: Optional Toppings…
This low carb tamale casserole is worthy of all your favorite toppings. So go wild:
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onion
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Sour cream
How to Make Keto Tamale Casserole:
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in oil.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Sop up extra grease.
- Add spices and toast.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the topping
- Add the water, corn extract, and whisked eggs and stir to combine.
- Spread evenly over the top of your filling with damp fingers.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Top casserole slices with sliced green onions, sour cream, and tomatoes.
Variations? Why Not…
Keto casseroles like this one are easy to customize. Here are some ideas for you:
- Skip the “corn” pudding: For a simpler dish. You can also use mashed cauliflower, or cauliflower rice (ala cauliflower rice casserole) instead.
- Chicken tamale casserole: Use shredded chicken instead of beef for a keto chicken casserole. Just toss cooked and shredded chicken in after you toast the spices.
- Or go meat-free for a vegetarian tamale pie. I like adding extra veggies when I do this.
- Add some heat! Add diced jalapenos or extra hot sauce (like in my keto Mexican casserole).
- Add more veggies: Just be sure to saute first, so your veggies don’t water down the casserole.
More Low Carb Beef Recipes
Keto Tamale CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground beef ground turkey works as well
- 1 15-ounces can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons golden erythritol
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- green onion
- sour cream
- tomatoes sliced
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Saute. In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 tablespoon) and saute the onion (1 cup) and bell pepper (1). Cook until soft (about 7 minutes). Add garlic (2) and cook until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Add the beef (1 pound) and cook until no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it browns. Tilt your pan to the side, and push meat and veggies to the opposite side, allowing excess grease to pool toward the titled side. Use paper towels and a set of tongs to soak up the pooled grease.
- Toast + simmer. Add the chili powder (2 tablespoons), cumin (2 teaspoons), and oregano (1 tablespoon), and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add all remaining casserole ingredients and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Topping. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the almond flour (2 1/2 cups), psyllium husk (1/4 cup), Swerve or Lakanto (2 tablespoons), baking powder (4 teaspoons), and salt (1 teaspoon). Add the water (3/4 cup), corn extract (2 teaspoons), and whisked eggs (2). Stir to combine. Use a large spoon to drop the batter over the top of your filling, then spread evenly using damp fingers. Sprinkle shredded cheese (1/2 cup) over the top.
- Bake pie in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow it to cool slightly before dishing up. Top casserole slices with sliced green onions, sour cream, and tomatoes. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes: