Watch out, y’all, this low carb taco casserole is on the scene and the new favorite of your low carb recipes! Whether you want a quick and zesty breakfast or need a new round of low carb dinners, this meal is knock-your-socks-off delicious and satisfying!
Imagine you took a bunch of healthy casseroles and married them to your favorite taco recipes… you’d get this heavenly pairing that is mouthwatering, fast, and straight up dreamy.
Plus, one pan, one dish and you’re done with cleanup…I foresee every day being taco Tuesday! Let’s dive in!
Check out all the reasons I love this low carb taco casserole:
- Basic ingredients – you probably have all of these on hand!
- Ready to serve in under an hour
- Fresh and delicious, with all your favorite flavors combined!
Here are a few tips and tricks to make this low carb taco casserole as effortless as it claims!
Ground turkey – Taco casseroles are often low carb ground beef recipes, but we mixed it up with ground turkey. You can buy this in the store, or make your own by pulverizing turkey breast in a food processor. You could also sub in ground chicken or beef if you’d prefer!
Honestly, the seasoning is going to make them all fairly similar, so feel free to mix it up!
Low carb taco seasoning – make sure to check the packet nutrition label, most store bought mixes have lots of hidden sugar. You can also use my recipe, which keeps the sugar out but all of the flavor in.
Shredded cheese – You can buy this at the store which saves you some steps and dishes.
Tools To Make
Casserole dish – This recipe calls for some ingredients to be cooked in a pan before layering it all in a separate casserole dish. You can save yourself a little cleanup and combine it in a heavy iron pan to make a low carb taco skillet.
This low carb taco casserole stores fabulously in the fridge, just wrap it tightly in saran wrap or put it in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze This?
You can absolutely freeze this low carb taco casserole, before or after you bake it. Keep off the fresh ingredients, and wrap tightly in saran wrap or put in an airtight container.
If you freeze it before you bake it, let it defrost in your fridge before you bake it, or make sure to add on some additional baking time.
Meal Prepping Tips
This recipe is great for having healthy dinners right at your fingertips all week! After baking, slice into 8 pieces and store in the fridge or freezer in airtight containers.
Whenever you need a meal, just take one out and warm in the oven, toaster oven or microwave. This also make a fantastic low carb breakfast casserole, so you can have a hot and scrumptious meal to start your day in no time at all!
Here are a few variations you can try to make this low carb taco casserole recipe your own:
How Can I Add More Veggies?
Casseroles are an amazing place to pack in all of the veggies we try and eat in one day. Feel free to mix in whatever you have on hand, or whatever you’re craving to this low carb taco casserole recipe!
Some delicious additions include cauliflower rice for a cauliflower rice casserole drenched in cheesy deliciousness. I also like adding green beans into the mix, as low carb green bean casserole adds a delicious crunch and a healthy dose of fiber.
To take things up a few culinary notches, try stuffing the filling for this casserole into hallowed out and blanched zucchini’s for fantastically delicious zucchini enchiladas!
Can I Use Different Types Of Meat?
If you’re looking to add in some omega 3s, you can sub in canned tuna for a scrumptious low carb tuna casserole that puts all other tuna dishes to shame!
Can I Add Squash?
Squash is so amazing and versatile and absolutely packed with nutrients and antioxidents. Bring out their best gifts by sautéing your squash of choice with the other veggies in this dish — low carb squash casserole, never disappoints!
If you’re missing the pasta addition to most casseroles, try mixing in cooked spaghetti squash for a taco spaghetti squash casserole you’ll ADORE!
Low Carb Taco Casserole
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Eggs whisked
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Lbs Ground Turkey or ground beef
- 1/4 Cup Low Carb Taco Seasoning* Or a 1.3 oz packet of taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile Peppers drained
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Romain chopped
- Jalapeno sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers, salt and pepper and cook until soft -- about 6 minutes.
- Place onions and bell peppers in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer.
- Evenly pour whisked eggs over the top of the veggies.
- Heat remaining veggie oil in the pan.
- Add turkey. Break into small pieces with the back of a spoon as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and bring combo to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left.
- Add cooked meat to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing. Serve with chopped romaine lettuce, jalapenos and enjoy!
Are low carb casseroles your jam? Then you’ll love these tasty and easy recipes!
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole – Perfect weeknight dinner the whole fam will LOVE!
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole – Pizza + Casserole = Happy Low Carber.
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – Cheesy, bacon-y, and utterly delish!
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole – Breakfast of low carb champions!
- Low Carb Mexican Casserole – Similar spices, different ingredients.
This low carb taco casserole is a fantastic choice for any meal of the day. Comment below with your favorite way to customize this dish!