Make this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing and cheese, and I guarantee you’ll never want to eat your Thanksgiving leftovers any other way! In fact, around these parts, this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing has become such a highly requested meal, we make it all year round!
Now before you start worrying that I’ve lost my low carb mind, let me tell you that I make this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing 100% low carb — I just use my favorite low carb stuffing recipe instead of that processed store bought stuff!
I’ll show you how to make all of this below, just turn on that oven and let’s make some stuffed chicken breast with stuffing!
How to Make stuffed chicken breast with stuffing
I started making this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing after Thanksgiving to use up my favorite leftovers: cauliflower stuffing. Eventually, I cut the cauliflower, as it added too much bulk inside the chicken.
I was inspired by all the high carb recipes for stuffed chicken breast with stuffing and cream of chicken soup or stuffed chicken breast with stuffing and cream of mushroom soup — I knew a low carb version of these recipes would be every bit as tasty…
To get started sauté your low carb vegetables in a tremendous amount of butter, yum. I use onions, carrots and celery for the classic stuffing trio — feel free to swap these with whatever keto vegetables you have around. Fennel is delicious in this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing!
We’ll then add wine to soften the veggies, and a boat load of herbs — again, add your favorite herbs, I LOVE the combo of sage, thyme and parsley in this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing.
Next up is to slice the chicken, which is the trickiest part of this recipe. Here are some tips:
Slicing Your Stuffed Chicken
The goal with our stuffed chicken is to create a pocket through the center of the breast, so you can stuff as much as possible inside! To do this, place your hand over the top of your chicken breast and use a sharp knife to cut through the center. Start with the thickest end, and work your way down to the thinner side.
If this seems too complicated, you can simply butterfly your chicken — although your stuffed chicken breast with stuffing won’t stay together as well!
cheese stuffed chicken breast For Meal Prep
As you know, I’m all about low carb meal prep. And this cheese stuffed chicken breast is a great way to fill up your freezer with delicious leftovers!
I like cooking a big batch of stuffed chicken breast with stuffing, as it takes some time to throw together, but takes no time to reheat!
Once you’ve assembled, cooked, and cooled your stuffed chicken breast with stuffing, place it in the fridge overnight. The next day, place each breast in it’s own resealable bag, label with stuffed chicken breast with stuffing, and into the freeze.
Next time you’re craving this low carb recipes savory flavors, pop it in the oven!
Sides For Your stuffed chicken breast
This stuffed chicken breast recipe tastes absolutely delicious with:
- Low carb salads
- Cauliflower rice or broccoli rice
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes
- Low carb soups
What would you serve it with? Let me know in the comments below 🙂
baked stuffed chicken breast Variations
I’ve tried many variations of stuffed chicken breast with stuffing, and this combo is my favorite. But, if you don’t love parmesan or want to sneak in some extra veggies, here are some variations for this baked stuffed chicken breast:
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
Pst, stuffed chicken breast with stuffing and gravy is amazing. Just skip the parm and cover your cooked chicken with some low carb gravy instead.
1. broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken
Add some broccoli to this recipe by saute it along with the other veggies in the butter and wine — be sure to leave out some, or all, of the veggies to make room! Broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken is a classic!
2. stuffed chicken thighs
You can easily make stuffed chicken thighs with this recipe instead. Be sure to buy boneless/ skinless thighs and ensure the internal temp reaches at least 165 F after being cooked.
3. mozzarella stuffed chicken
Swap the parm in this recipe for mozzarella stuffed chicken if you’re looking for an ooey gooey variation. The cheese will literally melt down into the stuffing a marry all the ingredients together — not a bad stuffed chicken breast with stuffing variation!
4. bacon wrapped stuffed chicken
If you’re feeling super fancy, try bacon wrapped stuffed chicken. If you’re going the chicken stuffed with stuffing wrapped in bacon route, fill the breasts with less stuffing so you can fully wrap them in bacon. (as you can see from the photos, I filled mine up a ton!)
5. cream cheese stuffed chicken
I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible, but an obvious upgrade to this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing is to add cream cheese! Cream cheese stuffed chicken is the creamiest and juiciest way to chow down on some chicken.
6. spinach stuffed chicken
Another great veggie to add to this dish is spinach! If you’re going the spinach stuffed chicken route, add the spinach into your veggies at the very end, and mix them until the leaves become wilted. No need to need to leave out veggies to add this one in.
stuffed chicken breast with stuffing Recipe
Stuffed chicken breast with stuffing is the best thing that’s ever happened to a chicken breast in my kitchen. I hope you all feel the same way, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below! Happy stuffing!
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Breast With Stuffing
- 1/4 Cup Butter unsalted
- 12 Ounces Breakfast Sausage casings removed
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks finely chopped
- 2 Large Carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup White Wine dry
- 1/4 Cup Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Sage finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Brown the breakfast sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and break up with a wooden spoon while it cooks.
- Remove sausage from the skilled and place it on a paper towel lined plate.
- Use a paper towel to clean the skillet of sausage grease.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Add chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook in butter until they're soft and lightly browned (around 10 minutes).
- Add wine to skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until no wine is left — about 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, sage, thyme, and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt. Stir to combine.
- Create a pocket in each of your chicken breasts using a knife.
- Stuff each pocket with stuffing and a few spoonfuls of parmesan cheese.
- Place the chicken breasts on prepared baking sheet and into the oven. Cook for 35 minutes, or until the center of the thickest piece of chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- You can stuff you chicken breast with whatever stuffing you’d prefer.
- Cover you chicken with gravy for an extra treat!
Pst, if you aren’t a low carb-er, feel free to use your favorite stuffing inside your chicken breast — chicken breast stuffed with bread stuffing or cornbread stuffed chicken breast would also be delicious. You can even use Italian bread crumbs for breaded stuffed chicken breast with stuffing.
More stuffed chicken breast recipes
You guys, I really LOVE stuffed chicken breast recipes! If you’re looking for more low carb dinners centered around this lean protein, check out my selection of faves!
Fajita stuffed chicken
lasagna stuffed chicken
Ricotta, mozzarella, tomato sauce and herbs make up this incredible lasagna stuffed chicken!
stuffed chicken parmesan
Low carb chicken parmesan is delicious, but the crispy edge gets soggy (because of the sauce). So why not stuff the filling inside and leave the crust nice and crunchy for a stuffed chicken parmesan?