Calling all fellow green tea drinkers, I’ve got your new favorite way to load up on caffeine: dalgona matcha!
Most of us have seen the dalgona whipped coffee trend currently taken over social media — but if you haven’t, it’s essentially instant coffee, sugar (or a sugar substitute) and hot water whipped into a frothy, foam-like consistency.
Since I’m more of a green tea drinker, I was determined to turn my beloved matcha latte into a similar concoction. And lemme tell you, I hit the jackpot with this one!
It’s essentially matcha marshmallows folded into your milk of choice! It’s one of those low carb recipes that’s impossible not to love!
Ready to give it a try?? Let’s do it!
Gahhh, what’s not to love?! But if I had to select a few reasons to make this one right away:
- It’s sweet, foamy and got the perfect amount of caffeine.
- Delicious warm OR cold!
- Matcha is so flippin’ good for you! It’s loaded with antioxidants, I’ll cheers to that!
- EASY to make, even though it tastes like a fancy $8 latte.
- Super Instagram worth.
Before delving into the recipe, here’s the background on Dalgona: it first gained popularity when South Korean actor Jung II-woo tried it and said it reminded him of the South Korean candy “dalgona”, which is essentially honeycomb-like toffee.
Now, it’s all the rage!
As I mentioned before, this dalgona matcha is SO easy to make! BUT, there are a few important things to note before diving in:
Here’s what you need, and what you can swap to make a vegan, paleo or low carb variation!
Matcha – Obviously, the most important ingredient here. It’s essentially ground green tea leaves.
Now, word to the wise: Some of us (me included!) can’t drink matcha (or green tea for that matter) without food first. Let’s just say, it makes me violently ill, not fun.
PRO TIP: Save yourself LOADS of money and buy matcha in bulk on Amazon!
Wondering how much caffeine is in this dalgona matcha?
1 serving of this drink has 1 teaspoon of matcha, which has around 30mg-50mg of caffeine (every product posts a different amount of caffeine, so check the packaging for the exact amount) — as a frame of reference, coffee has 95mg per 8 ounce cup.
Heavy Cream – What we’re doing with the heavy cream is essentially making sugar free whipped cream. This is what gives this drink it’s marshmallow-like texture (yummm!).
You want the heavy cream to be as cold as possible, otherwise, it won’t whip.
If you’re looking for a dairy free alternative, you can use 2 egg whites instead. Unfortunately, coconut milk will not whip up the same way.
Sweetener – Use your sweetener of choice — my favorite (because it’s low carb and a delicious alternative to sugar) is Erythritol.
Milk – You can use cow’s milk, or whatever you have on hand. Coconut and almond milk are both dairy free low carb milk options that are PERFECT for this matcha!
You can make this warm or cold, depending on your preference. (I LOVE a warm dalgona matcha!)
Tools To Make
- Save yourself SO MUCH TIME (and arm strength) by using an electric hand mixer. You can whip by hand, but man…
- Rubber spatula. This is necessary to scrape down the sides of your bowl and incorporate all the matcha into the foam.
- A medium-sized bowl to whip the dalgona.
- A cup/mug for serving!
This dalgona matcha is best served right away, as over time the matcha will lose its foaminess.
Dalgona Matcha (Whipped Matcha)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Add matcha, sugar, and cold heavy cream to a medium sized bowl.
- Use an electric mixer at a very high speed to combine, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides and incorporate all the ingredients. Since there isn't a ton of liquid, I find it's easiest to tilt the bowl so the liquid pools into a smaller area. Whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- Pour milk into 2 glasses -- if you're making a hot dalgona, be sure to warm milk first.
- Spoon the matcha over the milk.
- Stir with a straw or spoon before drinking, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Can’t get enough tasty low carb drinks like this one?? Here are a few more options you’ll love:
- Low carb hot chocolate. Cozy time fave!
- Sugar free pumpkin spice latte. I make this one year round 😛
- Low carb margarita. Muddle some strawberries in there for a treat!
- Low carb green smoothie. Perfect way to start the day.
- Low carb milkshake. You’d never know this is actually low carb!
I CAN’T WAIT to hear what you think of this dalgona matcha!! Did the dalgona craze live up to the hype? Did you feel like you were sipping marshmallows? Are you in love?? Tell me everything in the comments below. Cheers!