Oh boy, y’all are going to love this low carb corn dog recipe! It’s so easy, and the taste will take you right back to your favorite summertime memory!
We’ll fry low carb cornbread batter around juicy hotdogs for a super simple dish that’ll move to the top of your quick and easy low carb dinners.
This low carb recipes perfect for these warmer months because it doesn’t use the oven and it’s so fast, it won’t heat up your kitchen. Dip them in my 5-minute low carb ketchup for the win!
Let’s do this!
Well, this low carb corn dog recipe may be the simplest dish on my site, plus:
- It’s ready in, get this, 15 MINUTES!
- Inexpensive and easy – anyone can make this dish!
- Flavors that feel nostalgic and delicious
- Carb free version of one of your favorite meals!
Never fried food before? No worries, here are a few simple tips to help you start!
This low carb corn dog recipe needs a few special ingredients to pull off the “batter”, but nothing expensive or hard to find. And, if you enjoy fried food or do a lot of low carb cooking, you’ll want to keep all these in your pantry:
Low carb protein powder – I use UNFLAVORED whey protein isolate (ISO Pure is my brand of choice) to make my keto cornbread batter.
When the protein powder comes into contact with the hot oil, it’ll puff up into a flour-like batter… it’s pretty incredible! Don’t believe me?? Check out how thin the batter looks in the photo below (after the dog has been dipped in it), compared to the fried corn dogs. You can see from the sliced low carb corn dog that it gets deliciously puffy.
Xanthan gum – helps thicken the batter and keep all our ingredients together. Although we’re only using a small amount, don’t skip it! It’s incredibly important.
Mild tasting oil – While you are free to use any mild oil, like avocado or sunflower, for frying, I personally love carb free peanut oil. You’ll need a hefty amount, so look for the big bottles.
Hot dogs – It’s not usually hard to find keto hot dogs, but make sure you check the packaging on your favorite brand to check the nutrition facts! You can also use sausage or chicken sausage, as long as they’re fully cooked.
Soda water – This fizzy water is infused with CO2 and a few extra minerals for flavor. You can also use seltzer, a similar type of carbonated water. This is going to give our batter some nice fluffy aeration.
Tools To Make
A few basic tools and you can turn your stovetop into a carnival food creation station!
- Heavy bottom pan – Do you know why we recommend heavy bottom pans? Because some pans are actually made with thinner bottoms and sides, and it can cause issues with uneven heating. Also, that oil gets hot, hot, hot and we want to make sure our pan can handle it.
- Popsicle sticks – the key to making your own corn dog! Stick them in ⅓ of the way to make sure the hot dog is nice and secure.
- Tongs – Use long tongs to safely flip your corn dogs and remove them from the oil.
If you’ve never fried food before, this might feel daunting but don’t worry, you can do this! Here are a few tips!
- Prep your fry station ahead of time, as these cook QUICKLY!
- Test the oil to see if it is hot enough by dipping a bit of stick in. If bubbles form, it’s ready to go!!
- Place batter in a tall cup, it makes it far easier to dip then to roll them around in a bowl (I learned this trick after I took the photos).
- It’s easiest to dip these into the batter and move them straight into the hot oil. Then, move them to a paper towel-lined plate to dry a bit.
The best way to enjoy a low carb corn dog is straight from the fryer. Otherwise, they get soggy – even in the fridge. Luckily, these only take 15 minutes to whip up, so my recommendation is to make them fresh.
Don’t forget to add a yummy side. Try some cut low carb veggies, low carb coleslaw, or a side salad.
This corn dog recipe is super easy to make and customize. Here are a few tips for making these your own:
- Not feeling fried food? It’s super easy to take a page from my low carb muffins recipe and turn these into delicious cornbread muffins. Check out my egg muffins for even more tips and ideas.
- Take your low carb corn dog to the next level by adding cheese!! You can stuff your hot dog with your favorite low carb cheese, or make a low carb cheese sauce for drizzling or dunking!
- You can always swap out hot dogs for your favorite low carb sausage if you want even more flavor!
Low Carb Corn DogsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Heat oil enough oil to submerge the corndogs without them touching the bottom on high in a heavy bottom pan. Alternatively, you can use a deep fryer set to 375 F.
- Place a popsicle stick in the center of each hot dog.
- In a wide-mouthed bowl (or tall glass, easier for dunking) combine the whey protein, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir in the club soda and egg. The mixture will be slightly clumpy, but don't worry, it'll smooth as it fries.
- Once the oil is hot, add corndogs in batches so they aren't overcrowded in the pan (I fry them 1 at a time).
- Flip halfway through. You'll know the dogs are done once they're golden on each side. Place corndogs on a paper towel-lined plate and continue until you've fried all the corn dogs.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Need some more low carb lunch ideas? Here are a few spins on classic dishes that you will make over and over again!
- Crustless Pizza – Forget that carby crust, and get to the good stuff with this yummy recipe!
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese – Seriously, this is a must-try!! You’ll be addicted.
- Stuffed Peppers Without Rice – Once you make this version, you’ll wonder why we even added rice!
- Ham Roll Ups – Melty juicy roll ups will be your new favorite lunch.
- Low Carb Sushi – Beautiful and delicious – serve this at your next lunch meeting!
You’re going to love the crunchy, airy cornbread coating of this low carb corn dog recipe! What’s your favorite sauce to dip these in? Let me know in the comments!