Make this keto chicken salad because you’re tired of plain old salads for lunch, or because it’s so creamy delicious, versatile, and never gets old!
This low carb chicken salad is a zesty take on the traditional recipe — we’ll toss in some lime, cilantro, and flavorful spices to take things up a notch! Serve it over sliced almond flour bread, avocado, or with keto crackers for low carb lunch ideas that never get old.
So grab your cooked chicken, and let’s do this keto chicken salad thing…
How to make keto chicken salad
If you’ve made chicken salad before, you have an idea of how easy this recipe is to throw together.
I usually buy pre-cooked chicken to save time when making low carb lunches. Alternatively, you can boil chicken before throwing it into your keto chicken salad.
Then, follow the rest of these keto chicken salad steps:
1. In a small bowl mix the mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, salt and pepper together with a whisk to form our creamy keto chicken salad dressing.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, vegetables, and cilantro.
3. Pour the keto chicken salad dressing over the chicken and vegetables and fold to combine everything. It’s that easy! Now for the fun stuff…
How to eat low carb chicken salad
Here’s a few ideas for you:
- Low carb bread, add a few slices of cheddar cheese for a REAL treat!
- Avocado, sliced and pitted
- Bell pepper, deseeded
- Low carb crackers
- Tomatoes, hollowed + deseeded
What are your favorite ways to eat keto chicken salad? Let me know in the comments below!
Keto Salad variations
This keto salad can be customized every which way to suit your taste buds and dietary needs! We all have our preferences (mine are reflected in the recipe below) — here are a handful of swaps to make this keto chicken salad just right for you:
Leave out the taco seasoning.
Feel free to use your own seasoning instead of keto taco seasoning. Garlic powder, onion powder, and fresh herbs make for delicious additions.
Different keto vegetables.
Types of chicken.
This keto chicken salad recipe is so EASY to throw together because you don’t have to cook your chicken! I love using store-bought, pre-cooked chicken or leftover chicken to save some time. Here are a few pre-cooked ideas:
Rotisserie chicken salad
Buy a rotisserie chicken from the store, discard the skin and bones and shred it into bite size pieces for a delicious rotisserie chicken salad full of juicy and delicious flavor!
Canned chicken salad recipe
You can also use canned chicken for this recipe — just be sure to drain as much liquid as possible before adding it to your canned chicken salad recipe. (I dab off all excess liquid with paper towels!)
Mayonnaise vs. Greek yogurt.
Those of you on a keto meal plan will probably want to stick to mayo as it’s high in fat and lower in carbs. If you aren’t a fan of mayo, here are a few alternatives to give you that same creamy base:
Greek yogurt chicken salad
I always make keto chicken salad with low carb Greek yogurt instead of mayo, as I much prefer the taste and nutritional profile (it’s higher in protein and has a creamy/tangy taste). That said, Greek yogurt is higher in carbs than mayo — so make sure it works with your low carb eating plan before adding it in.
If you decide to make Greek yogurt chicken salad, simply swap mayonnaise for Greek yogurt using a 1:1 ratio.
Avocado chicken salad
Alternatively, you can use avocado for a creamy base in your keto chicken salad. And don’t worry, the lime will stop the avocado chicken salad from browning!
More Mix Ins
Your keto chicken salad your rules. Stir in some cooked bacon for a keto chicken salad with bacon, hard boiled eggs, green onions, whatever keto foods you’re craving!
Storing These low carb salads
Store your low carb salads in the fridge for keto lunches throughout the week! If your keto chicken salad starts to taste a little dry, simply stir in extra mayo or yogurt.
Meal prepping for low carb lunch
When it comes to low carb meal prep, this keto chicken salad is perfect! I like to scoop this low carb lunch into hollowed out vegetables for the work week (check out veggie suggestions above).
If you plan to eat this with slices of your favorite low carb bread recipe, store them separately so the bread doesn’t get soggy.
Keto chicken salad recipe
Hope you all enjoy this keto chicken salad recipe! Let me know how you ate it, or any variations you tried in the comments below! Happy lunching!
Keto Chicken Salad
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise or Low Carb Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning or regular without sugar added
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Breast cooked and chopped or shredded depending on preference
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion finely diced
- 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro fresh, diced
- Whisk together mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, ren onion, bell pepper and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the chicken and vegetables and fold to combine.
- Enjoy with low carb bread or wrapped in lettuce!
- This recipe make about 3 cups of chicken salad, which would make 1 serving equal to 1/2 cup.
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.
Looking for more chicken salad recipes?
As you know chicken salad is one of my favorite low carb recipes! It can be worked up into all sorts of delicious variations, here are a few of my favorites:
curried chicken salad
Basic chicken salad
Or, skip all the fancy add ins and go for a basic chicken salad! Swap the bell pepper for celery and leave out the spices and herbs for the classic dish!