If you want to feel like a kid again, while staying low carb and sugar free, slurp up one of the low carb shakes! Guarantee you’ll smile from ear to ear while feeling happy, satiated and full.
They’re easy to make, fun to top, and ridiculously enjoyable. Have these low carb shakes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert — really whenever you fancy! Because they’re packed with protein, low in carbs, and even stuffed with a few veggies. Your Mama will be proud, you’ll be stoked, and your waistline will thank you.
So let’s get blending friends, it’s time to make some low carb shakes!
Why These Low Carb Shakes Are So Great
Seriously, you’re gonna love these low carb shakes SO MUCH, you may want to eat them for every meal, I won’t judge. Here are a few reasons why:
- They’re packed with protein. Awesome before a workout, or a great way to start the day.
- They literally taste like a milkshake. Crazy, I know, but the harmonious combo of chocolate protein powder, low carb milk and erythritol create one of the tastiest milkshake tasting low carb drinks!
- Hardly any sugar. Especially when compared to the carbs in milkshakes (the not so low carb kind) — according to the USDA nutrition database, an 11 oz milkshake has 56 grams of sugar!
- Filled with low carb fruits and veggies. Avocados add the creaminess to our low carb shakes plus some nutrients and fiber. If you don’t mind a few extra carbs, and you’re all about the low carb green smoothies, feel free to add a toss in some spinach! You won’t even know it’s there.
- Easy to low carb meal prep. Get these low carb shakes ready ahead of time by tossing the ingredients (minus the milk) in resealable baggies and into your freezer. When you’re craving a shake, place the ingredients in the blender plus fresh milk, and breakfast will be ready in 5!
- Even if you don’t prep, these low carb shakes are ready in 5 minutes!
Seriously, what’s not to love about these low carb shakes??
Low Carb Smoothies Ingredients
The ingredients in very low carb smoothies are a little different than regular smoothies, as we need to cut out all those high sugar, low protein and fat ingredients. But don’t worry, with these high flavor low carb shopping list items, you won’t even know notice they’re gone…
1. Keto Smoothie Milk
Since we won’t be using fruit juice in our keto smoothie, and water is far too boring, let’s throw some creamy, delicious, low carb milks on in! My favorite option is a coconut and almond milk blend.
2. Low Carb Protein Shake Powder
This is the most important ingredient in our low carb protein shake — if you get a nasty tasting low carb protein powder, your low carb shakes aren’t going to be good. Steer clear of pea protein (it tastes nasty!). If you’re looking for good options, I love this whey protein powder, and this plant based protein powder.
If you’re looking for low carb protein shakes for weight loss, be sure to read the nutrition label of the product you buy to make sure it is in fact a low carb protein powder.
Pst, if you’re worried about buying a jug of protein powder just to make these low carb shakes, think again! I use protein powder in all sorts of recipes — from pancakes, to fudge, to ice cream. When used properly, it’s one of my favorite low carb foods.
3. Low Carb Smoothie Sweetener
Most protein powders are sweetened with low carb sweeteners already, but if you’re looking for an extra sweet low carb smoothie, toss in a little more! My favorite keto sweetener is erythritol — feel free to use whatever you prefer.
4. Sneaky Low Carb Green Smoothie Ingredient
Unlike regular shakes, we won’t be using bananas and ice cream — instead we’ll opt for one of the tastiest low carb, high fat ingredients in this low carb green smoothie: avocados! They’re creamy, full of fiber, and crazy low in net carbs.
5. Keto Milkshake Toppings
Just because this is a keto milkshake doesn’t mean you can’t get wild with the toppings! Here are some delicious ideas to get creative with:
- Fresh fruit
- Sugar Free Whipped Cream. Check out how easy it is to make whipped cream on your own — I swap the regular sugar with a sugar free alternativw!
- Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (that’s what I used to make this low carb chocolate smoothie)
- Chopped Peanuts
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Keto Shake Variations
As you remember from childhood, milkshakes are extremely customizable. And just because we’re making low carb recipes, doesn’t mean we don’t want to customize our keto shake too!! Here are some alternative ways to enjoy these low carb shakes:
1. Low Carb Breakfast Smoothie
Remember that smoothie bowl trend? Well I have a secret for you, they use the same recipe as any low carb breakfast smoothie, and just eliminate some liquid. To turn these low carb shakes into a smoothie bowl, take out half the milk and add more ice. Cover it in some low carb granola or chocolate keto granola, and you’re good to go!
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
You could also add a spoonful of cream cheese for a keto cheesecake milkshake!
2. Low Carb Strawberry Smoothie
I didn’t include fruit in these low carb shakes, as they obviously add carbs, and I wanted to keep this recipe as chocolatey as possible. But I must say that these shakes taste even better when turned into a low carb strawberry smoothie. PLUS, strawberries are one of the lowest carb fruits! So slice some up and put them on top, or blend them into your low carb shakes — either way you’ll love it!
3. Low Carb Peanut Butter Smoothie
Turn this into a low carb peanut butter smoothie by adding a few spoonfuls before blending! I mean come on, it’s only natural to add peanut butter to every chocolate recipe.
4. Vanilla Keto Smoothies
If you don’t have chocolate protein powder, use vanilla protein powder instead! If you’re craving chocolate, just add a few teaspoons of cocoa to your keto smoothies before blending, you won’t even know the difference.
How Do I Make Low Carb Shakes
It’s really THAT easy to make these low carb shakes! I’m so excited for you to whip these up and enjoy this breakfast of champions. Let me know in the comments below what you think about these low carb smoothies keto friends!
Low Carb Shakes
- Toss all ingredients in the blender and blend away!
- I poured sugar free chocolate syrup into the bottom of the glass, then poured the shake over it. Twirl the shake with a spoon to get the swirls on the sides.
- Top with whipped cream or low carb fruits, and enjoy!
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.