You guys, at this very moment you’re only 10 minutes away from eating delicious low carb coleslaw. This has to be one of my all-time favorite salad recipes.
I mean, what other salad is both creamy AND crunchy?!
This low carb recipes packed with vitamins, it’s quick to make and is super satisfying.
Its one of the classic low carb side dishes for picnics, but I love it for a light lunch! Not to mention, this low carb salads easy to customize to your taste… Spicy or jalapeno coleslaw? Ok! Creamier? Simple. More mix-ins? YES!
This low carb coleslaw is perfect for sharing at a party or prepping for a quick lunch, plus:
- Simple, inexpensive ingredients.
- Ready in just 10 minutes!
- Classic creamy taste and textures, without the carbs.
- EASY to customize.
WARNING: This low carb coleslaw recipe is totally addictive…
Most of the ingredients in this recipe go into the yummy dressing! Never made your own dressing before? It’s E-A-S-Y. Lemme show you:
Erythritol: Sugar is the source of a lot of the carbs in coleslaw. Instead, we’ll use this plant based sugar substitute that’s so great for making low carb dressings. Zero carbs, and no effect on the blood sugar, this gives our dressing a nice sweet flavor to round out the tang.
Preferred brands: Lakanto and Swerve — both are a 1:1 swap for traditional sugar. If using plain erythritol (from most other brands), you may need to increase the amount used below.
Mayonnaise: This creamy sauce is the base of our dressing. Made mostly of eggs and oil, it gives great body to our low carb coleslaw. AND! Mayo is low (actually no) carb!
Grated Onion: Yes, this does add carbs, BUT, it adds so much freggin’ flavor. You’ll be so glad you added it into the mix.
Cabbage: This crunchy veggie is packed with nutrients and antioxidants. It’s low in calories and really filling, making it a great ingredient for salads.
I like to use a combo of red and green cabbage to add some color to the salad.
Carrot: Option to mix in 1 shredded carrot. Keep in mind, this will increase the carbs. I like to add it for an additional pop in color.
Tools To Make
These basic tools are probably sitting right inside your cabinet!
- Grater: We’ll use a grater to get our onion cut imperceptibly small. That lets us mix in it’s yummy, sweet flavor all through the salad, without needing a lot of it, keeping our carb count low.
- Whisk: this looped spoon will help get all of those creamy dressing ingredients blended up. Don’t have one? A fork works better than a spoon in this instance.
You’ll want to keep this low carb coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge.
Letting the cabbage soak up all the dressing actually makes it better over time, so as with all coleslaw recipes, it’s best the next day!
Low carb coleslaw is a picnic staple and makes a super healthy and delicious side dish.
Want to mix it up? Here are some ideas for you:
- Add cooked + crumbled BACON. Bacon is low carb and a delicious addition to almost every coleslaw recipe!
- Add chicken to turn this into a protein-packed meal. Think of it as low carb chicken salad with added cabbage.
- Switch up the dressing. The recipe below includes a traditional coleslaw dressing (slightly sweet and creamy). If that isn’t your thing, you can get creative with something like homemade ranch dressing.
- Add more veggies. Looking to squeeze more veggies into your meal plan?? Try cauliflower for a cauliflower salad, kale, or broccoli (ala low carb broccoli salad). Whatever you have on hand with a mellow flavor would work.
- Swap greek yogurt for mayo. I love using low carb greek yogurt in lieu of mayo in recipes (like in my greek yogurt chicken salad!). It will add more carbs and protein to the dish while removing a bit of the fat.
Low Carb ColeslawPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Onion finely grated
- 2.5 Tablespoons Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below)
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise can use Greek yogurt, nutrition facts will change
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8-10 Cups Cabbage shredded (about 1/2 medium head) I use a combo of red and green
- 1 Carrots shredded. Optional (will increase the carb count)
- Using a cheese grater, grate the onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the cabbage and carrot (if using).
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and carrot. I suggest starting with 8 cups of shredded cabbage, then adding more after it has been tossed in the dressing, based on how "saucy" you like your coleslaw.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Store in the fridge, it’s even tastier after it has chilled for a few hours!
Looking for some more summertime staples? I have a new one for every day of the month! Give some of these a try:
- Low carb hot dog buns. Because hot dogs without the bun are boring!
- Low carb chocolate ice cream. Yearround kitchen staple.
- Low carb ketchup. You won’t even know this one is low carb.
- Low carb milkshake. Nothing better on a warm summer day!
- Low carb BBQ sauce. You simply can’t have a BBQ without this sauce.
Are you already planning meals around this mouth-watering low carb coleslaw? Comment below and let us know what you think! Enjoy!