This low carb apple pie is EVERYTHING you expect from an apple pie, just without the carbs! Oh, and there technically aren’t apples in there, but no one will know unless you tell them. Promise.
Our apple sub, zucchini, has a mild flavor and a spot-on texture. We’ll combine that with the right spices and sweetness, making it the perfect low carb desserts sub. Take a note from my low carb zucchini bread, this veggie is the BEST!
This low carb apple pie recipe is so heartwarmingly delicious! Here’s why you should make it today:
- NOTHING is more fall than an apple pie
- It’s sugar-free, gluten-free, low carb and keto
- This recipe (seriously!!) tastes just like an apple pie
1. Make the pie crust, but don’t bake — keep it cool in the fridge.
2. Prep zucchini by chopping off the ends, peeling the skin, and cutting them into thirds. Then use a mandolin to slice them into 1/4″ slices.
3. Make the filling, by melting butter in a large pan. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, vanilla, and erythritol and stir to combine. Add zucchini and toss to coat, then bring contents to a simmer and cover. Steam zucchini for 15 minutes. Remove lid, stir in xanthan gum, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Allow filling to cool for 30 minutes.
4. Assemble by rolling 1 of the pie crust’s between 2 sheets of parchment into a 13″ circle. Place the rolled crust into a greased pie pan. Add filling. Roll out the second crust, and assemble one of two ways.
- Place the second crust over the filling and remove the excess crust. Seal and flute the edges. Cut 4 slits in the top so air can release.
- Cut crust into 1″ strips. Layer 4 strips with 1″ in between them, then place 4 strips perpendicular, weaving them to form the lattice.
5. Bake by placing your pie pan on a rimmed baking sheet and covering it in foil. Then toss in an oven preheated to 400 F for 30 minutes. Remove foil, brush with an egg wash, and continue baking uncovered for 15 minutes.
Important Ingredients Notes
- Pie Crust – My keto pie crust is just as buttery and flakey and the traditional kind!
- Zucchini/Summer Squash – 6 g carbs vs. 25 g carbs in an apple? Yes, please.
- Sweetener – I use Lakanto/Swerve to make this sugar free apple pie — both are a 1:1 substitute for traditional sugar. Use whichever of the keto sweeteners you prefer.
- Xanthan gum – don’t skip! This thickens our filling (making it sticky like traditional apple pie) and binds our pie crust ingredients together.
Can You Freeze This?
YUP! Freeze individual slices of your low carb apple pie wrapped in baggies for easy-to-reheat desserts whenever your sweet tooth is hollering.
Personally, I love a giant scoop of low carb ice cream on my freshly baked apple pie! Or maybe a dollop of sugar free whipped cream is more your vibe? Do you!
As with most baked goods, your variations are limited. Here are a few ways you can switch things up:
- Try a different pie crust. Use your favorite pie crust here, such as my coconut flour pie crust, just know that this crust is significantly drier, and works best as the bottom layer of a crust (you won’t be able to lattice it!).
- Add toppings. Aside from the obvious (ice cream!), consider adding some chopped low carb nuts for a delicious crunch.
Here are a few other favorites turned into low carb deliciousness:
- Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
- Low Carb Cheesecake
- Low Carb Carrot Cake
- Low Carb Banana Bread
- Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls
Low Carb Apple PiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Low Carb Pie Crust
- 1 Egg whisked
Prepping the Crust:
- Prep your pie crusts, but don't bake them. Allow them to chill in the fridge for at least an hour (this can be prepped ahead of time) as you make the filling.
- Chop off the ends of the zucchini, and use a veggie peeler to peel off the skin. Cut zucchinis into thirds. Use a mandolin to slice the zucchini into 1/4" slices.
- Add butter to a large nonstick (one that you have a lid for) and melt over medium heat. Once melted, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, vanilla, and erythritol. Stir ingredients together.
- Add the zucchini slices and stir to coat. Bring ingredients to a gentle simmer and cover with a fitted lid. Steam the zucchini for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in xanthan gum, and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes, keeping the liquid at a steady simmer -- you'll know the filling is done once most of the liquid is gone, and the filling has become sticky. Remove filling from heat and set aside, allowing it to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- (NOTE: This step can be done as soon as the dough has chilled in the fridge for 1 hour. I like to do this while I'm cooking the zucchini to save time) Roll 1 of the pie crust between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it's a 13", even circle. Fit the rolled crust into a greased pie pan, allowing excess to drape over the edges. Add filling in an even layer to the pie pan. Place the pie back in the fridge while you roll out the second crust.
- Roll the second crust between 2 sheets of parchment paper, until it's a 13" circle (same as above).EASY: Place the 2nd pie crust on top of the filling. Cut the excess crust, then seal and flute the edges. Cut 4 large slits in the crust (so the air can release).*FOR THE LATTICE (more difficult, as shown above): Cut the pie crust into long 1" wide strips using a pizza or ravioli cutter. Lay 3-4 parallel strips, leaving 1/2"-1" in between them. Place a strip perpendicular, and weave in between the strips. If the lattice cracks, place your dough in the freezer for a few minutes to allow the butter to harden before continuing. Continue until you've formed the lattice over the entire pie. Cut the access, then seal and flute the edges.*
- Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet, and cover with foil. Place in the center of the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove pie from the oven. Remove foil from pie. Use a pastry brush to brush to the top of your crust with a whisked egg. Bake pie for another 10-15 minutes, you'll know the pie is done when the top becomes golden brown.
- Wait for the pie to cool before slicing (about 20 minutes). Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes: