Get ready to crave this versatile comfort dish. It’s creamy, comforting, and so full of flavor that you won’t believe how easy this keto crack chicken recipe is to make.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
It’s based on my mom’s recipe. It’s easy to make. It has cream cheese.
It’s comfort food at its finest.
There are several versions of this crockpot classic, but obviously, my mom’s is the best. I make mine most often in the Instant Pot. That’s because even though I cook for work—on (the many) nights when I don’t have a dinner plan, I do not have hours to devote to dinner—even if the crockpot is doing most of the work.
Easy ingredients bring the flavor. The secret to my version is shredding the chicken so that all the flavors meld together. This way you get all that savory goodness in every single bite. The hardest part is deciding how to serve it.
Mom’s classic was on a roll with melty cheddar cheese and bbq sauce—and I still serve it this way. I’ve also wrapped in lettuce, piled it high over cauliflower rice and used leftovers for some deluxe nachos. I absolutely love this served with cheddar cheese crisps for a feel good lunch.
I know you’ll love it too…but how will you serve it? Enjoy! – Linds x
What is crack chicken?
Crack chicken is incredibly delicious shredded chicken tossed in melted cream cheese, ranch dressing, crispy bacon and green onions. We like to eat it for lunch (think of it as an upgraded keto chicken salad), but it also makes an amazing app.
- Chicken breast – this is one of the few recipes where I don’t mind using chicken breast! If you’d prefer to make keto crack chicken thighs, feel free to sub it in (just be sure to grab boneless/skinless).
- Cream cheese
- Ranch dressing packet – find these next to the Ranch at your grocery store. I love Hidden Valley’s mix.
- Bacon – crisped + crumbled.
- Green onions
Feel free to add your spin to this recipe! Here are some ideas for you:
- Bake chicken breasts and cover them with crack chicken ingredients.
- Add some shredded cheddar for extra decadence.
- Skip the bacon for a Kosher variation.
- Add some veggies! Think keto crack chicken with broccoli, spinach, or cauliflower.
- Turn this into a keto crack chicken soup by adding chicken broth, and cutting the cream cheese in half.
How to Make Crack Chicken in a Slow Cooker
- Place chicken, cream cheese, and ranch packet in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the lid, shred the chicken. Add the bacon and green onions and toss to combine.
Making Instant Pot Crack Chicken
Crack chicken cooks for only 15 minutes in your Instant Pot! (plus some time to come to and release the pressure). If you prefer this method, keep in mind you’ll want to add 1/2 cup of chicken broth so the meat doesn’t burn along the bottom edge.
Keto Serving Recommendations
This crack chicken is so good you’ll want to eat it from the bowl with a spoon! But if you’re feeling classy:
- Making crack chicken sandwiches with my keto hamburger buns. Don’t forget some melted cheddar cheese as well.
- A dip with keto crackers, cheese crackers, celery sticks, or sliced cucumbers.
- Make wraps using leafy lettuce or keto wraps.
More Tasty Apps To Try
Crack ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breasts boneless + skinless
- 16 Ounces (2 blocks) Cream Cheese cut into cubes
- 2 – 1 Ounce Packets Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 8 Ounces Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup Green Onions sliced
To Serve (choose your fave):
- cucumber slices
- celery sticks
- bell pepper slices
- keto hamburger buns
- Pat chicken (2 pounds) completely dry using paper towels and place in the crockpot (see notes for Instant Pot instructions). Top evenly with cream cheese cubes (16 ounces), followed by the ranch dressing packets (2 1 ounce packets).
- Secure crockpot lid and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. Test the chicken doneness by shredding it with 2 forks, it should fall apart easily – if not place lid on top and continue to cook, checking every 15 minutes, until it does.
- Shred the cooked chicken. Add bacon (8 ounces) and green onions (1/4 cup) to the crockpot. Toss everything together until well combined. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken – Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, chicken, cream cheese, and ranch dressing packets to your IP. Seal the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is set to “sealing”. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Switch the valve to “venting”, and once the pin drops, remove the lid. Shred the chicken, add the other ingredients, and toss to combine!