If you thought breakfast had to be boring and bland, let me tell you about a game changing, life altering breakfast hero: cheesy egg muffin cups!
These portable and easy to make breakfast bites are delicious, high protein, low carb foods, and are chock full of suuuper tasty low carb shopping list ingredients. They make for delicious low carb meals, no matter when you decide to eat them!
The greatest news about this recipe, is that it makes SO MANY delicious egg muffin cups, making it great for low carb meal prep, to ensure you’ve got healthy low carb breakfast ideas and low carb snacks at the ready. Store them in the fridge, or freeze them for keto breakfasts or keto snacks in a pinch.
Ready to make get started? Let’s do this!
How to Make Egg Muffin Cups
Once you learn how to make egg muffin cups, you’ll be making these easy, tasty, little bites for keto meal prep, week after week!
First things first, let’s get the oven hot and ready, and grease a 12 cup muffin pan with some non-stick spray.
Take a piece of pastrami (resist the urge to snack on it!) and press it into one of the muffin pan cups, like a crust. Repeat with each cup until you’ve filled all twelve cups.
Psst — pastrami is brined, seasoned and smoked beef, you can sub in roast beef or ham if you’d prefer!
Next, grab a pinch of delicious shredded swiss cheese, and drop some into each of the pastrami cups. You don’t want to overdo it, but also don’t be afraid to make a solid layer. Cheese to your liking!
Now that your cups are ready to go, grab an egg and crack one into each muffin cup.
Salt and pepper the tops of your egg muffin cups, and toss them in your preheated oven — breakfast will be served in 20!
The secret to muffin tin eggs…
Muffin tin eggs are absolutely delicious on their own, but topping them with something FRESH and/or CRUNCHY adds that little something extra that’ll make your low carb breakfasts next level good!!
I personally love using diced pickles to play off the pastrami, (this amplifies the pastrami sandwich vibes!) but don’t limit yourself there…
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
- Sliced green onions
- Your favorite fresh herb
- Even diced tomatoes are delicious!
That fresh cool flavor or crisp crunch can make all the difference in these easy egg muffins.
Breakfast egg muffins Variations
Your breakfast egg muffins, your rules! You can literally mix any ingredient into your breakfast egg muffins cups that sounds good to you — just be sure to cook any veggies and protein before adding them into the mix:
- Swap in bacon, prosciutto or other deli meats to your liking.
- Sausage, instead of pastrami, makes for delicious sausage egg cups!
- Feel free to swap to your favorite cheese! Mozzarella, Parmesan or even cheddar.
- You can even add delicious keto vegetables, like mushrooms or bell peppers. Spinach egg muffin cups are delicious, but you need to make sure to get ALL the liquid out of the spinach before tossing them into the mix (a simple saute or steam will do).
- For a spicy egg muffin cups variation, try mixing in jalapenos or Fresno peppers!
The sky is the limit!
Storing Egg Muffins
Storing these egg muffins is incredibly easy. Stash them in the fridge in your best meal prep containers — I prefer a resealable bag or glass tupperware for this.
Can you freeze egg cups
Yes! You can also freeze and store these savory egg cups ahead of time in a ziplock bag. Simply pop them in the oven to defrost for about 12 minutes at 350, and enjoy!
What to serve with these keto egg muffins
You can serve these keto egg muffins with low carb bread for a healthy breakfast sandwich, or wrapped in lettuce for on-the-go low carb wraps. They pair well with any low carb recipes, so don’t be afraid to fix them up with:
- Your favorite salsa
- Some sausage
- Delicious sauteed spinach
- I especially love serving them with some of my favorite guacamole.
Check out my low carb food list, and pick your favorite to pair together with these little egg muffin cups.
Breakfast muffins for meal prep
I really enjoy making these breakfast muffins at the beginning of the week — you can easily take one or two to work for lunch, or heat a few for a quick breakfast! I usually parse them out into individual meal prep containers, so they’re ready to go when my stomach starts grumbling.
These also make great low carb snack ideas, so don’t be afraid to use them as a mid afternoon energy boost!
Cheesy Egg Muffin Cups Recipe
Lets make some egg muffin cups!! If you’re feeling inspired to add your favorite ingredients, go for it! (suggestions above)
Once you make them, come back and comment below to let me know what you added, and how they turned out! Enjoy!
Egg Muffin Cups
- 12 Slices of Pastrami
- 1 Cup Swiss Cheese shredded
- 12 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Pickles diced
- Parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Press a piece of pastrami into each muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the pastrami with shredded swiss.
- Crack an egg into each muffin tin.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked through.
- Top with diced pickles/chopped parsley and enjoy!