These gorgeous zucchini lasagna roll ups are just as cheesy and delicious as the classic version yet a little lighter with an extra serving of veggies. We absolutely love zucchini lasagna, but sometimes we’re in the mood for a vegetarian dinner, and these zucchini noodles are perfect for that. Herbaceous, cheesy, and just so darn good, here’s how to make it!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make zucchini roll ups, and some tips for getting everything just right:
- The noodles: Thinly slice your zucchini noodles. They don’t need to be perfect! Just like zucchini ravioli, if they get too thin they’ll be difficult to roll. I find 1/4″ is just right, and I make these noodles by slicing my zucchini in half lengthwise, then slicing noodles from the clean edge.
- The sauce: Grab your favorite jar of pasta sauce, I love Rao’s Homemade. If you’re counting your carbs, check the label and be sure there isn’t a ton of sugar added (Trader Joe’s makes a great keto spaghetti sauce).
- The filling: Ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan, mozzarella, basil, and dried oregano are all you need.
Tweaks + Substitutes
As with any lasagna rolls, this recipe is easy to customize based on your family’s favorite variations. Consider these tweaks:
- Can I use different noodles? Summer squash would be a great substitute here. You can also use butternut squash noodles sliced into 2″ wide noodles, or turn this into eggplant lasagna. If you want to skip the roll up part, you can use spaghetti squash.
- Can I add meat? Yes! I would brown some Italian sausage and add it to the pasta sauce before mixing it in.
- Can I use a different sauce? Why not! Pesto, keto alfredo sauce, keto bolognese. Use what you love.
How to Make Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
Once your noodles are ready, this dish comes together in no time at all. Just mix, fill, roll, and let your oven do the heavy lifting. Here’s how to make zucchini lasagna roll ups:
- Slice zucchini, and spread into a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and bake until just soft.
- Pour half the sauce into your baking dish.
- Mix filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once this roasted zucchini has cooled, spread the ricotta filling onto each piece and roll.
- Place in baking dish over the sauce, followed by remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake, and enjoy!
As is, these zucchini lasagna roll ups are a great way to enjoy low carb or keto spaghetti. If you want to add some carbs, consider serving it with a toasted piece of bread to soak up any extra sauce. To keep the carb count down, serve as is or with a side of roasted vegetables.
Storing, Reheating, and Freezing
Zucchini lasagna roll ups make for great leftovers or meal prep. Here’s how to make them most of this dish:
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top.
- Freeze in a large resealable baggie, with as much air removed as possible. Defrost in the fridge overnight before microwaving.
See how to make this Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups on TikTok.
More “Pasta” Recipes
- Stuffed spaghetti squash
- Zoodle salad
- Spaghetti squash carbonara
- Mozzarella stuffed meatballs
- Pesto zucchini pasta
- Zucchini spaghetti
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls UpsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 zucchinis ends removed
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated + divided
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded + divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 F, option to line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the zucchini into long strips. Place zucchini in a single layer on prepared baking sheets and spray with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven until soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Combine ricotta, eggs, 1/4 cup of parmesan, half of the mozzarella, basil, garlic, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper, in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Pour half the marinara sauce in a 12″ baking dish.
- Lay zucchini slices on a flat surface. Spread the cheese combo onto each zucchini strip. Roll into a spiral, and place them over the marinara, placing the side by side so they support each other as they bake.
- Once you're done rolling, cover the roll ups with remaining sauce, followed by the mozzarella and parmesan. If your dish is looking really full, place it on a rimmed baking sheet before transferring to the oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes, and enjoy!