This keto croutons recipe is quick, crisp and the perfect topper to any salad. I make these from my 90-second keto bread. Day old bread? Even better.
C is for Crouton
I didn’t know what my salad was missing. The perfect finishing crunch on your next planned salad—maybe you’re craving a Caesar? Or as a way to bring together what happens to be in the veggie drawer (or garden!) These crispy croutons add tasty texture to any salad you serve.
All you need is good bread (I’ve got you), a drizzle of olive oil, and some yummy herbs. So easy, so delicious. Enjoy! – Linds x
Important Ingredient Notes
Instead of baking a loaf from scratch, I use my 90 second (thank you microwave!) almond flour bread. Then dice, season and bake. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Almond flour – Using a fine-grain product will give your crunchy keto croutons a light and flour-like texture. Opt for almond flour over meal. My favorite products are Bob’s Red Mill, Costco, or Trader Joe’s.
- NOW psyllium husk – Each brand of psyllium husk absorbs liquid differently, so I only recommend using NOW — otherwise, your bread may not set, or have the same amount of fluff.
- Parmesan – Helps the bread to crisp up even more! Also adds a touch of delicious salty flavor.
- Italian seasoning – My preferred seasoning for gluten-free croutons.
Switch up the Seasoning!
Making a Mexican-inspired dish? Try my keto taco seasoning instead. Cajun seasoning or a combination of your favorite spices are also great.
How to Make Keto Croutons
- Combine your bread ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Allow bread to cool, then slice into square pieces.
- Toss in oil and seasoning.
- Spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven until crispy.
Store your croutons in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, they should still be pretty crispy! Although for the best low carb croutons, feel free to re-crisp in the toaster oven or oven before serving.
Use these croutons to dress salads, soups, or as a crunchy topping to your favorite keto casseroles!
Are croutons keto friendly?
Generally speaking, storebought croutons are made from traditional bread, which most avoid while eating keto. However, these keto croutons are made from almond flour and psyllium husk powder, which significantly reduces the number of carbs per serving.
More Low Carb Bread Recipes
Keto CroutonsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (note 3)
- Prep. Preheat oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bread. Toss dry ingredients together in a rectangular 4x6" microwave-safe container (If using a different size, adjust your microwave time). Add egg (2) and stir until well combined. Microwave on high for 3 minutes-- the center should be completely set. Allow bread to cool completely in the container.
- Cut + season. Place bread on a cutting board, then slice in half lengthwise, and dice into squares. Place bread on prepared baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil (2 tablespoons), seasoning (1 teaspoon) and toss to coat. Spread croutons out on the baking sheet so there's space between each. Bake in preheated oven for 28-32 minutes, or until the bread is crunchy. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- The flour - fine grain almond flour products will give you the best results here! Use products such as Bob's Red Mill, Trader Joe's, or Costco brands.
- The fluff - I only recommend using NOW psyllium husk! All products will absorb liquid differently and will not yield the same results.
- The seasoning - Feel free to substitute with whatever you prefer.
- The container - I use a glass Pyrex. If using a different dimension, know your bread will bake in more/less time.